PDA

View Full Version : Question on replacing hi/low beam bulb

Joey Ballz Si
12-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Curious if I replcae the Hi/Low beam bulb with a 90/100 watt bulb if I will run into any problems? Thank you!

Si4U2NV
12-08-2003, 11:22 AM
yup, melt the harness among other things...

dont do it...they have different wattage for a reason...

and TRUST me, replacing a harness in that area is a bitch, i had to do it for my friendz legend...

-Mike

HgSi
12-08-2003, 11:36 PM
Now only that, but it won't happen right away, either. It'll melt over time. At first you'll be like "Oh, BS, it's fine, look, see? I'll leave it in" And then months later your lights won't work and you won't know why and then you'll look and (for example) your socket will be melted.

chubbychu
12-09-2003, 12:24 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: are you guys serious?!?! i have been using Nokyas "stage II" and it says 100/120w. dun dun dun...what should i do now?

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19644&highlight=wattage

i-WERKS
12-09-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by HgSi
Now only that, but it won't happen right away, either. It'll melt over time. At first you'll be like "Oh, BS, it's fine, look, see? I'll leave it in" And then months later your lights won't work and you won't know why and then you'll look and (for example) your socket will be melted.

Yup. Happened to my friend too. He had it for a couple of months one headlight was flickering on and off everytime he went over a bump. He checked it and one of the sockets were almost completely melted off. The wires on the other headlights were really hot too.

EP GFX '03
12-09-2003, 01:20 PM
The numbers you are quoting sound like the wattage output rating not the actual wattage. Could be something like PIAA where they give you the 50/65 = 110/125 watts. This just means that your stock headlights give off lighting that resembles a 50 (low) and 60 (high) bulb. The 110 means that it is giving off light equivalent to the 110 watt bulb, but still uses the recommended wattage. I spoke to my local PIAA rep and was told that I would definitely not need a different harness. I purchased the H4 Extreme's and they're great!

No need for a new harness though...if in doubt by the best!! PIAA!

chubbychu
12-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by EP GFX '03
The numbers you are quoting sound like the wattage output rating not the actual wattage. Could be something like PIAA where they give you the 50/65 = 110/125 watts. This just means that your stock headlights give off lighting that resembles a 50 (low) and 60 (high) bulb. The 110 means that it is giving off light equivalent to the 110 watt bulb, but still uses the recommended wattage. I spoke to my local PIAA rep and was told that I would definitely not need a different harness. I purchased the H4 Extreme's and they're great!

No need for a new harness though...if in doubt by the best!! PIAA!

are you sure? i like the white but dont wanna risk it. help me out there are 2 different opinions going on....arg!

Civicvtec1ps
12-09-2003, 05:38 PM
ehh i would get rid of higher wattage bulbs. Not worth it.. Ive seen enough people who had thier harness replaced , because of higher wattage bulbs. I wouldnt take a risk..

EP GFX '03
12-10-2003, 06:45 AM
Find the specific bulbs on the net, and post the link...I'll take a look for you.

Derek