PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

SpeedRacer
09-17-2002, 07:19 PM
well i was racing up in the canyons with my friend who has a WRX and thare is this restraunt up thare kinda hidden i forget what it was called but the parking lot is really sloped. Anyways i park and go inside to get a cup of water when i go back outside my car had rolled all the way down the parking lot into the middle of the street. I freaked ran got the car and the e-brake was UP that e-brake sucks ass i should have left it in gear but i never do now i will.

2k2civicSi
09-17-2002, 07:21 PM
yeah some times when im in my car on a slope just chillin and the car is on so its in nutrual its will slip like not roll back but just make clunking noises and shit

SpeedRacer
09-17-2002, 07:30 PM
;

2k2civicSi
09-17-2002, 07:32 PM
wtf is that speedy

SpeedRacer
09-17-2002, 07:33 PM
i dont know i was having a flash back

2k2civicSi
09-17-2002, 07:34 PM
hahahahaha

02spOOnsi
09-17-2002, 07:37 PM
f*cking e-brakes...

SmoothOperator
09-17-2002, 07:37 PM
um......yeah.....okay......hehehehehehe

Rummey
09-17-2002, 08:19 PM
I second that, I was in a sloped parking lot and the car slide backwards with the ebrake up.

To see how crappy it is, when you are on a slight incline let the car roll back and try to stop the movement with only the ebrake. Not easy.

Mike

S14SR20DET
09-17-2002, 08:23 PM
Does anyone know how to adjust the ebrake so its tighter?

rick77f
09-17-2002, 10:23 PM
My parking brake had way too much play. The car is 2 days old. I usually fix everything myself, but since I was bringing the car in for industrial fallout repair I had them fix it. For those who want to do their own:

Remove the console surrounding the parking brake lever and just adjust the adjuster. I don't know the adjustment specs. On every car I have fixed set the lever to 4 ratchet clicks up from bottom. Jack up the right rear wheel. You should be able to just turn that wheel forward by hand, but not in reverse. Release the parking brake(don't forget chocks) and check for binding. And I ALWAYS have put the vehicle in gear before I get out. Same for automatics, set the parking brake before shifting into park. Trans lock is good at wearing out automatic trannies.

iR-VTEC2
09-18-2002, 01:13 PM
That shit happened to me yo. I had to FUCKIN run after my car, jump into the window and YANK that brake. I was mucho scared

ArcticBlueRsx
09-18-2002, 01:29 PM
i always leave my car in gear when im parking....either in 1st gear so i dont roll backwards..or in reverse so i dont roll forward

DynaSpeed
09-18-2002, 01:56 PM
This is crazy... I wasn't gonna post this initially, so I'm glad some of you others had issues with this.

I came home from work and parked in my driveway (slight slope). Went inside for a few minutes, came out and my car was angled weird at the end of my driveway. I was like, "no way, somebody just messed with my car!". Got in, E-brake was still engaged. So I stormed into the house sweating everybody down about who thought it was funny messing with my car. Nobody would confess, so until today reading this post I believed that somebody thought it was funny taking the e-brake off, coasting my car almost into the road, and then pulling the e-brake again.

SpeedRacer
09-18-2002, 02:27 PM
it looks like you have some people to apolagize to dynaspeed

SBC31
09-18-2002, 02:43 PM
Thanks SpeedRacer for starting this thread, and to everyone who's had this issue for responding. I have been lucky to not have this happen to me, and now I will make sure to not park on any hills, and if I have to, I will pull the e-brake as much as I can, and leave it in gear. (although I tend to always leave it in gear).

This is a great thread for everyone to know so this does not happen to others in the future.

My98nsx
09-18-2002, 03:18 PM
My step mom was moving my car to get her's out of the garage,
next thing she's freakin' cuz she can't get the car to stop with just the e-brake on. My dad came out and gave the brake a Popeye style crank and the thing engaged.
We have a sloped driveway and always leave it in gear, but now I know what happened that day!

daniel

00SiGrl
09-19-2002, 02:27 AM
I had the same problem in my 2000 Si

i-WERKS
09-19-2002, 05:48 AM
I've just recently noticed this problem too. You have to pull the e brake pretty hard for it not to roll. Luckly it only rolled while I'm in the car.

I-4Si
09-19-2002, 06:16 AM
I always leave mine in gear with the e-brake on. I totalled an '83 (I think) Plymouth Horizon. It drifted down a hill and hit a jeep. All I did was break a fog light on the jeep. It was going to hit an abandoned VW Bug at school, but the wheels turned when it hopped the curb.

DynaSpeed
09-23-2002, 10:50 AM
So I just got my car back from the dealer for routine maintenance and told them about the problem of the E-Brake... They adjusted it, and now it engages like a champ. Only like 3 clicks is the most it'll go.

Drove it to work this morning - the rear brakes are heating up a lot. You guys know the clutch/brake smell. I got a whiff of it at most stoplights.

Is this common immediately after you adjust the e-brake cable?

rick77f
09-23-2002, 10:53 AM
The brakes are adjusted too tight. Take it back and make them fix it right.

DynaSpeed
09-23-2002, 11:13 AM
but with the e-brake disengaged, it rolls fine - with no brake friction. Still too tight?

Rummey
09-23-2002, 02:03 PM
What may seem to be "rolling fine" is probably not all the way off the pads. They could be rubbing and you would never know. Three clicks is way too little for the ebrake, IMO. You want to pull it all the way back and have it grab really tight. Most people have it to you pull all the way back and it is still not extremely tight.

BlackNRedSi
03-28-2003, 11:51 AM
Hey guys...This same thing happened to me 2 times...

1ce when i went home this one night, parked my car in my driveway, pulled the ebrake, and went in...woke up the next morning, cop was knocking on my door...WTF are the cops doin here! shite!

i look more outside and my car is in the middle of the street just chillin there...i felt like such a jack ace...what if someone hit my car, and damn near killed themselves? GOD SAKE HONDA, you shittie ass MOFOS!

then the second time, when my car was @ the car wash, the guys pulled the ebrake, but not enough, and it started to roll down the incline where they dry your car....i had to jump in the car as it was rollin, and peal out in the middle of the street just before this ford f-350 almost destroyed me...shyte i was scared...

so yeah, its a good rule of thumb to keep your car in gear while its parked! :)

eric

crex2nr
03-28-2003, 11:56 AM
thank God i live in Chicago and i dont have to worry about those slopes i guess

2k2SiAutoXer
03-28-2003, 12:00 PM
talk about bringing a thread back from the dead

--Tom

BlackNRedSi
03-28-2003, 12:04 PM
WOW, i didnt even notice that this thread wasnt last used since like months ago!

haha

have a great weekend everyone!

Eric

NemesisITR
03-28-2003, 12:46 PM
Hey that happend to 1fastminivan also. I learned from him to make sure to keep it in gear when parked.

Okay....who's mom is that in the picture?:D

BlackNRedSi
03-28-2003, 12:49 PM
HAHA...that was just a random picture of some lady that drove her car into a boat...thought u guys would get a kick outa it!

Eric

Makross
03-28-2003, 12:56 PM
same shiet happen to me my driveway had a pretty big slope i pulled the e-brake all the way up thinkin it wouldnt slide or go anywhere but whatta you know my car slide in the middle of the street luckily my brothers car wasnt parked right behind me or it wouldve got hit:o my parents thought i was crazy or something

BlackNRedSi
03-28-2003, 12:58 PM
Yeah so did the cop that knocked on my door, when i ran outside in only boxers and a pair of boots with 8 inches of snow on the ground! :)

Eric