PDA

View Full Version : how possible and pricey would the rsx-s head swap be?

kylenls
12-08-2003, 05:19 PM
i was wondering how possible it would be to swap the the rsx-s head to our head and how pricey if anyone knows it would be?

myeverlovinsir
12-08-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by kylenls
i was wondering how possible it would be to swap the the rsx-s head to our head and how pricey if anyone knows it would be?

Retail the head and ECU would be more money than its worth. (over 2k in parts alone) I recommend getting the parts cheap and installing them yourself. I am currently in the process of doing this myself and will have it done come the new year. I will post the stumbling stones and options included with this soon. ;)

kylenls
12-08-2003, 05:35 PM
cool thanks

SF-SI-02
12-08-2003, 06:03 PM
What sucks is that if you are not a do it yourself kind of guy, it will cost you at least 750 for the timing to be redone. And that mechanic was a friend of mine, i can't imagine what a real mechanic would charge... Good luck

myeverlovinsir
12-08-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by SF-SI-02
What sucks is that if you are not a do it yourself kind of guy, it will cost you at least 750 for the timing to be redone. And that mechanic was a friend of mine, i can't imagine what a real mechanic would charge... Good luck

Yep, a few mechanics out there would not even venture the thought of swapping the head, even though it's a straight swap. Retail the head could cost as much as $3500, or even more direct from Acura. I mean get real! No one would do this for that price! Timing is the only difficult thing. The helms manual sets it up, but does not go into detail. I have both the SiR and type-S manuals and they are both the same...set the crankshaft at TDC, marks are on the sprocket and cylinder block, then install the head. Where the cams are in relation to the the TDC is not given. So yes, you do need more info when it comes to getting the cam angles and placement setup correctly with the marks provided on the cams. More to come...

trk
12-08-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by SF-SI-02

timing redone?

Explain...

myeverlovinsir
12-08-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by trk
timing redone?

Explain...

He is refering to the initial setup of the cams in relation the TDC of the pistons... This is pretty straight forward when you take an engine apart, but when you put it back together you must make sure that the cams are located rotationally in the correct spots. The cam markings provide this, and it's easy to see where they should be when you take them off. It's easier said than done, you need to hold the rotation of the cams in the proper position when you install the cam timing belt, a few hands required there. hth

Mighty_Mouse
12-08-2003, 09:33 PM
Timing is very easy to do yourself. I've done a few head swaps on other engines and it's always the same thing. Very simple, but somewhat time consuming. Lots of hoses and wires and bolts, but nothing complicated. $750 to change a timing belt is excessive.

66elwood99
12-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Here check out this thread

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24759

and :Your Welcome ;)