PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Size? and other newbie questiones.

TheMutt
12-08-2003, 08:15 PM
I got a quick question that I'm sure someone can answer for me. I've not boosted yet but I'm getting to the point that I need to make a decision, the same one everyone has to. I can either get the Greddy kit sometime in the next few weeks or be more patient and get a more pricey kit. I had my eye on the CN kit, which supposedly has a bigger turbo (turbine?) than the Greddy kit with the T-something something mitsu turbo. Well I keep hearing that the smaller the turbo the faster it spools up, but how much faster are we talking? Just curious to see if it will really matter for my driving style. And how does a turbo boost? I dont think I really understand. Does it produce the most power in the high revs or after a certain time or something?

BlackNRedSi
12-08-2003, 08:20 PM
just as a reminder,

if you get a CN kit, its basically a Stage 3 kit...wich is good, all you have to do is keep adding new applications and modifications to your engine...and all u gotta do is turn up the boost...you cant do that with the greddy kit

eric

TheMutt
12-08-2003, 08:27 PM
Yeah I know the deal with the upgrading. It's another bridge I have to cross because honestly how many of us want to upgrade and how many ever will. I have college coming up so that's a big deal too. I honestly am most interested in just hearing about the spool time or whatever because I like turns, and maybe it's bad but I like taking turns fast. I'm considering going into auto-x after I get the turbo and want to know if a smaller turbo will make a huge difference.

danoonez
12-08-2003, 08:50 PM
If you're serious into autocross, I would think a JRSC would be the ideal option for you, since power would be instantaneous out of the turns, rather than waiting for the turbo to reach full boost; however little time the turbo takes to make full power, the SC will always make its power (albeit generally less power) sooner.

And how does a turbo boost? I dont think I really understand. Does it produce the most power in the high revs or after a certain time or something?

Basically...VERY BASICALLY,
A turbocharger is comprised of two main parts, the exhaust turbine and the compressor, connected by a shaft. The turbine is made to rotate by exhaust gas, and spinning of the exhaust turbine causes the compressor to also rotate (since they're connected). So as the amount of exhaust gas passing through the turbine increases, so does the speed at which it rotates, and subsequently the speed at which the compressor rotates. The rotation of the compressor forces air into the cylinders to create a greater combustion and thus more power. A supercharger also has a compressor that spins at high speed to force air into the cylinders; on a supercharger, however, the compressor is made to spin by the drive belts.

Once again, a very basic explanation. (Dont hurt me 87gn:'( )

TheMutt
12-08-2003, 08:59 PM
I know but I'm really not into the S/C thing for other reason, and my daily driving style. But I still need to know, whats the difference in the times it takes for the different turbos to get their power going. And whats this time in comparison to the s/c so to speak.

87gn
12-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Once again, a very basic explanation. (Dont hurt me 87gn )

LMFAO, the only things that im hurting are my sides. gezz that was funny. id say that thats a very good explanation that any one could understand. ROTFL

a sc is a constant pull, sorta like what you feel now, just faster. BUT have you ever been water skiing? ive herd in the past that the acceleration of a turbo car is similar but i dont have any experiance in that area because i can only doggy paddle for about 15 feet before i sink like a brick, im stuck driven the boat;).