PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry to bomb this board but, 12,500 for Si, 30,000 for S2K?

snubnose
12-09-2003, 03:18 AM
I have been offered this deal on a S2k: 12,500 for 02 Si and 30,000 for s2k. It would mean draining my bank account and financing 15,000 for the S2k, leaving under $5,000 in my savings. I would be living "car poor" for the next five years.

Has anyone here ever bought a car impulsively like this? What is it like? Any wisdom to share. I love my Si, it runs perfectly. I just think, if the Si is this good, just think what the S2K would be like.

DownTheHatch
12-09-2003, 06:25 AM
I doubt 15,000 more into a 2 seater is going to make you more happy, every car gets old with time. If you want more fun you can always turbo your si :)

Zero Three Si
12-09-2003, 08:25 AM
Don't live beyond your means. How do you think you're going to feel if you have a S2000 but don't have money to put gas in it.

ep pilot
12-09-2003, 08:48 AM
I think the novelty of owning the roadster will get old on you through the first winter. I mean in all honesty if I had the option of having a nice sport sedan, have a 4X4 truck or mid-sized suv for the outback and slushy stuff and a nice roadster to sport on the weekend. Sounds like a deal. I driven the S2K bar none it

Duck916
12-09-2003, 09:44 PM
You know, the car you don't have always looks better. I've got a 2001 Corvette and the Si is actually more fun to drive in many situations. I've driven the S2K, and it really didn't appeal all that much to me.

Somewhere on this board someone posted dyno graphs of the Si, the RSX-S and the S2K and all three make about the same HP up to 5000 RPM. How much time do you want to spend above 5000 RPM?

(Course, I like the Vette 'cause it makes 200 HP at 2000 RPM.;) )

snubnose
12-10-2003, 02:42 AM
Some of you have a lot of guts saying the S2K does not drive very differently than the Si. However, I test drove the S2K twice, and I was kind of thinking the same thing. I have not driven the 04 S2K though, and it has a higher, flatter torque curve.

That sounds like just what the doctor ordered!

boston's ep3
12-10-2003, 08:51 AM
dude don't do it what ever you do. really take my advice. I just dumped my ep for a 2001 integra type R it put me so upside down. and my insurance went way up, almost to the point where i can't afford it. you are going to regret it if you do it. take my advice don't do it. Chuck from showstoppers i should have listened to you.

i am a barber and if i hurt anything that involves me not working you can bet the repo man is coming after me. by the way i can't even think about buying something to mod it. definately to broke for that.

ImolaS54
12-10-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by snubnose
Some of you have a lot of guts saying the S2K does not drive very differently than the Si. However, I test drove the S2K twice, and I was kind of thinking the same thing. I have not driven the 04 S2K though, and it has a higher, flatter torque curve.

That sounds like just what the doctor ordered!

These ppl are probably not very experienced drivers. I mean come on now, EP3 is pretty cool for a little FWD car...but during some real spirited driving I feel like the front tires are going to "fold over". And the brakes on the EP3 is just not up to the job.

I had the pleasure in driving a S2000 for a month when it first came out, I will say however that the si feels like it has more low end torque, but my memory may be fading... What i do remember thinking was that it was a really cool car but i would probably want to shoot myself as a everyday car. The car was noisy, buzzy as hell, radio sucks, and it make all kind of squeeky noises as all convertibles do. For $30K there are probably better "all around" cars out there, EVO and STi comes to mind, even a 350z might be better as the only day to day car.

Also if you live anywhere that will see snow, good luck driving the s2000! although i did manage a 50 mile trip in a nsx during a snow storm once :)

EL-DOG
12-10-2003, 10:31 AM
I feel your pain on this issue,, I went last night to look at the new Wrx Sti,, I loved it.. Butt if I trade in my Si I will be upside down a little bit of money.. I can afford the car and the insurance but, do I really want to for that long??? It is so tempting to see and drive in the car and not take it home...

vtecnrg
12-10-2003, 11:21 AM
O.k. I can see I will need to the voice of experience. I owned my S2k for 1.5 years and honestly I like the Si more. I drove the S2k as a 3rd car and would often take it on club drives and track days. It was fun to drive but not very comfortable. It attracts way too much attention and every acura, mustang, civic and camaro wants to race. Not to mention that bad boy chews through rear tires. I don't regret owning it but I enjoy the Si much more for its comfort and unique style. I added a turbo to the Si and it is faster then the S2k was stock and still cost 10k less not to mention much cheaper to insure. I think if I was to purchase another 3rd car I might go with the STI. The S2000 is a great ride but you sacrifice alot of room, and the abiliy to be drive in anything but sunny weather. Not to mention it is not a car you feel comfortable leaving at the mall or overnight at the airport. I leave my Si everywhere and drive it in all types of weather. The EP3 rocks.

snubnose
12-10-2003, 02:04 PM
great advice, everybody. Maybe I'll keep the Si for awhile. That way, I'll have a great car and some money for a rainy day.

boston's ep3
12-10-2003, 05:55 PM
i know that this is going to be digging at your brain all night all day all week long. don't do it though you will be over it within a week or so. then you'll realize what new you can do to your ep

FiL
12-10-2003, 07:51 PM
my brother has a s2k and i have an ep3 and i have to say that the s2k is much more fun to drive. however, the ep is a lot more comfortable. so i guess it boils down to what your preference is. and i, too would rather have an STI over an s2k, or perhaps a used nsx...

snubnose
12-11-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by boston's ep3
i know that this is going to be digging at your brain all night all day all week long. don't do it though you will be over it within a week or so. then you'll realize what new you can do to your ep

You know me pretty well.

thereisnospoon
12-11-2003, 07:44 AM
Don't get the S as a daily driver if you have:
A) long commute
B) bad weather (snow ice etc.)
C) to buy things that are bigger than a loaf of bread

To all those who say that the Si is the same as the S below 5K etc etc. you are kidding yourselves. Don't get me wrong the Si is a great little FWD car - but the brakes suck, it's tall and doesnt handle great near the limit, the steering is sort of vague on initial turn-in, and the tires are skinny and spin free too easy. There is NO comparison to the S at all. And the comment about "who wants to spend that much time above 5K?" easy - anyone that has driven an S2000.:cool:

Getting back to the original post. How much more a month would you be paying for the S? If you can swing it (or wait UNTIl you CAN swing it) get the S on a lease as a non-daily driver. You won't kill it with miles and you dont have to drive it in bad weather etc etc.

trk
12-11-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by ImolaS54

...but during some real spirited driving I feel like the front tires are going to "fold over". And the brakes on the EP3 is just not up to the job.

si all the way ...

fix the brakes with pads and/or rotors.
get the mugen suspension.
get hondata.

forget about it.

:-)

snubnose
12-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by thereisnospoon

Getting back to the original post. How much more a month would you be paying for the S? If you can swing it (or wait UNTIl you CAN swing it) get the S on a lease as a non-daily driver. You won't kill it with miles and you dont have to drive it in bad weather etc etc.

I would be paying exactly the same per month, but I would have to drain my savings and put a 17,000 down payment to keep the payments the same. I would only have a few thousand left in the bank. That's the scary part.

thereisnospoon
12-11-2003, 02:22 PM
then its really about your comfort level. let me share a quick story:

I had an 01 TT 225QC heavily modded and my wife had a 99 a4. We had a nice house with 2 car garage that we thought was the house we would live in forever. Then we were both laid off within 3 weeks of each other out of the blue in early 02.

We sold the TT first. Then we sold the house and lived off of the money we made doing so and unemployment. It sucked, but the thing to consider is - would we have been able to keep the house If I had been driving a civic? No.

We now have a TSX (hers) and Si and an S2000. If we fell on hard times again - it wouldnt matter if we had the S or not truthfully - because when you are let go you have to go into severe financial hibernation. Having just the Si or both wouldnt really matter IMO - I would still try to get down to one car and just chill out financially until I was doing better again.

If you have some semblance of job security and think you will see raises in the coming years - I say enjoy the hell out of the car and get it. But then I am a certifiable car nut. If you are worried - then wait until you are in a more comfortable spot. But realize that even the most comfy spot may go away and you may have to make some tough decisions. But the folks who say get a house first or pay in cahs - dont realize that if you lose your job or your life goes to crap financially - you would probably have to sell that house or that car you paid cash for anyway... I had a buddy that was laid off form the same company as me and he sold his 00 C5 coupe that was paid for. Doesn't make sense to have any toys when you are worrying about your financial future...

my .02

ImolaS54
12-11-2003, 08:11 PM
then its really about your comfort level. let me share a quick story:

I had an 01 TT 225QC heavily modded and my wife had a 99 a4. We had a nice house with 2 car garage that we thought was the house we would live in forever. Then we were both laid off within 3 weeks of each other out of the blue in early 02.

We sold the TT first. Then we sold the house and lived off of the money we made doing so and unemployment. It sucked, but the thing to consider is - would we have been able to keep the house If I had been driving a civic? No.

We now have a TSX (hers) and Si and an S2000. If we fell on hard times again - it wouldnt matter if we had the S or not truthfully - because when you are let go you have to go into severe financial hibernation. Having just the Si or both wouldnt really matter IMO - I would still try to get down to one car and just chill out financially until I was doing better again.

If you have some semblance of job security and think you will see raises in the coming years - I say enjoy the hell out of the car and get it. But then I am a certifiable car nut. If you are worried - then wait until you are in a more comfortable spot. But realize that even the most comfy spot may go away and you may have to make some tough decisions. But the folks who say get a house first or pay in cahs - dont realize that if you lose your job or your life goes to crap financially - you would probably have to sell that house or that car you paid cash for anyway... I had a buddy that was laid off form the same company as me and he sold his 00 C5 coupe that was paid for. Doesn't make sense to have any toys when you are worrying about your financial future...

my .02

not trying to be rude...but if you had to sell home to live through unemployment...... I wouldn't own three cars for 2 ppl...might want to put some of that money into the bank :D

thereisnospoon
12-11-2003, 08:15 PM
not trying to be rude...but if you had to sell home to live through unemployment...... I wouldn't own three cars for 2 ppl...might want to put some of that money into the bank :D

its not rude - just somewhat ignorant. Find me ANYONE who can weather 12 months of dual unemployment and still carry a mortgage auto loans GROCERIES etc. It makes financial sense to pare down when you no longer have an income. I don't know where you are from and what the cost of living is like, but we went from 150K combined yearly income to 406 bucks a week :(. Kind of hard to live the same lifestyle. And it doesnt make ANY sense to burn through savings etc. by staying in a house and maintaining toys when you can downsize until things look up. I guess most ppl don't understand until they have been there.

ImolaS54
12-11-2003, 08:43 PM
its not rude - just somewhat ignorant. Find me ANYONE who can weather 12 months of dual unemployment and still carry a mortgage auto loans GROCERIES etc. It makes financial sense to pare down when you no longer have an income. I don't know where you are from and what the cost of living is like, but we went from 150K combined yearly income to 406 bucks a week :(. Kind of hard to live the same lifestyle. And it doesnt make ANY sense to burn through savings etc. by staying in a house and maintaining toys when you can downsize until things look up. I guess most ppl don't understand until they have been there.

at $150K collecting unemployment should probably yeild you about 50% of the spending power you had...i just find it to be drastic to sell a home... where did you live afterwards? If you rented it would have made even less sense to do so. but regardless having been there once already, carrying a mortgage auto loans, one would think you would not "fall" into it again :) again, just my "ignorant" observation :)

thereisnospoon
12-11-2003, 08:56 PM
at $150K collecting unemployment should probably yeild you about 50% of the spending power you had...i just find it to be drastic to sell a home... where did you live afterwards? If you rented it would have made even less sense to do so. but regardless having been there once already, carrying a mortgage auto loans, one would think you would not "fall" into it again :) again, just my "ignorant" observation :)

sorry - ignorant was proabably a harsh word. But you are way off base on your numbers. In CT the max you can collect (at least in 02) is 10K total for a year. There was 3 month extension - so it was closer to 14K a year x 2 ppl. 150K down to 28K... (and we were both not working for a full year)

Seriously - what would yo have done? Defaulted on your mortgage after burning through savings? Or get out while you can make some $ back on the equity in your home and rent a cheap house for a year or two...? I don't understand the "fall" comment. You can't not have a life and material objects because something "might" happen. You do your best to save some, enjoy some, and hope that life doesnt kick you in the ass too many times in a row :)

Back to the topic on hand - life is uncertain at best - plan as well as you can - and get the car if you think you can swing it :)

ImolaS54
12-11-2003, 09:00 PM

Back to the topic on hand - life is uncertain at best - plan as well as you can - and get the car if you think you can swing it :)

yeah for all you know you might get run over by a car tomorrow and die! so might as well get what you want now so you can enjoy it :) Go for the S2000!

trk
12-12-2003, 07:43 AM
sorry - ignorant was proabably a harsh word. But you are way off base on your numbers. In CT the max you can collect (at least in 02) is 10K total for a year. There was 3 month extension - so it was closer to 14K a year x 2 ppl. 150K down to 28K... (and we were both not working for a full year)

Seriously - what would yo have done? Defaulted on your mortgage after burning through savings? Or get out while you can make some $ back on the equity in your home and rent a cheap house for a year or two...? I don't understand the "fall" comment. You can't not have a life and material objects because something "might" happen. You do your best to save some, enjoy some, and hope that life doesnt kick you in the ass too many times in a row :)

Id try the following:

Get a new job.
Get a new shitty job (aka HomeDepot).
Valet Cars.

Anything to pay my home loan.

thereisnospoon
12-12-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by trk
Id try the following:

Get a new job.
Get a new shitty job (aka HomeDepot).
Valet Cars.

Anything to pay my home loan.

ok - this is getting silly. What do you think I was trying to do? Getting a job at home depot would just REPLACE the unemployment check with roughly the same amount - you dont get unemployment if you are employed! :rolleyes:

Duck916
12-12-2003, 08:12 AM
You can't not have a life and material objects because something "might" happen. You do your best to save some, enjoy some, and hope that life doesnt kick you in the ass too many times in a row :)

Man, I'll say one thing: You've got a great attitude after being through that!

You mentioned comfort level. Whatever he does, he's gotta be comfortable with it. It's no fun having the toy, but worrying about losing it.

trk
12-12-2003, 09:28 AM
ok - this is getting silly. What do you think I was trying to do? Getting a job at home depot would just REPLACE the unemployment check with roughly the same amount - you dont get unemployment if you are employed! :rolleyes:

I understand. i was let go about 6 months ago... no unemployement... All I am saying is ... leave inside your means, and if you lose your job, find another one, anything... get that money coming in ...

I do understand where you are coming from though...

Valet gigs you can get under the table usually too....

bloodzombie
12-12-2003, 02:19 PM
If you want to throw 17k away, just give it to me. or better yet, use it as a downpayment on a home, or if you're not ready for that for some reason, buy some index funds or something until you are. cars should be bought with "disposable" money, because you're not gonna get anything back from them. In 5 years you can have 50k in equity from the house you bought, or you can have a beat up old S2000 with 90 thousand miles on it.

trk
12-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by bloodzombie
If you want to throw 17k away, just give it to me. or better yet, use it as a downpayment on a home, or if you're not ready for that for some reason, buy some index funds or something until you are. cars should be bought with "disposable" money, because you're not gonna get anything back from them. In 5 years you can have 50k in equity from the house you bought, or you can have a beat up old S2000 with 90 thousand miles on it.

word. well stated.

thereisnospoon
12-12-2003, 03:07 PM
good advice - BUT - you never know what the local real estate market is like. Almost everyone I work with rents because this area is insane (any house under 500K is gone instantly) Our house in NE CT was $212,500 - to buy it in fairfield county - 800 at least - with the land we had - 1.8mil. So we are renting a small house by the beach (410K to buy it less than 1K square feet with no yard - 1 car garage). :) I do agree though - if you can put that 17K into an investment like a house that you can enjoy while investing in then do it - you can always buy the S with a home equity loan a year later with a lower interest rate and get the tax benefit. :) Whatever you decide to do - good luck!

JaycivicSi
12-12-2003, 03:09 PM
do whatever will make you happy. if you honestly think you'll be happy for the next 5 years living on little money, go for it. and btw, whats up with everyone bashing the s2k. out of the cars ive driven (G35 sedan, wrx, s2000, volvo c70, si, 6 speed accord) the s2k is definetly the most fun to drive. not the most practical but the most fun by far.

not sure who made this comment
"who wants to spend that much time above 5K?"
im gonna agree with thereisnospoon and say every single s2k driver does.

-jay

thereisnospoon
12-12-2003, 03:11 PM
:D

the only thing i DONT like about the S is that its hiding in the garage crying right now and won't come out except for a couple nice days until march or april :( S02's suck when they get cold. But - thats what the Si is for!

bloodzombie
12-12-2003, 04:43 PM
good advice - BUT - you never know what the local real estate market is like. Almost everyone I work with rents because this area is insane (any house under 500K is gone instantly) Our house in NE CT was $212,500 - to buy it in fairfield county - 800 at least - with the land we had - 1.8mil. So we are renting a small house by the beach (410K to buy it less than 1K square feet with no yard - 1 car garage). :) I do agree though - if you can put that 17K into an investment like a house that you can enjoy while investing in then do it - you can always buy the S with a home equity loan a year later with a lower interest rate and get the tax benefit. :) Whatever you decide to do - good luck!

You're right in a lot of ways, I don't know where he lives, I don't know how much he makes, maybe he already owns a house.