PDA

View Full Version : Installed my Neuspeed Front strut bar...

02SilverSiHB
12-09-2003, 01:46 PM
Waste of my money. I don't feel a damn thing from it. nothing feels different. I've had it on for about three days now.

Install was easy though...just a few areas where it was a tight fit.

Maybe because I have a rear sway/tie bar combo already, I'm not going to feel much of anything.

Anyway, just me .02 I wouldn't sweat on trying to buy this thing

SoCaLep3
12-09-2003, 04:08 PM
thanx for the heads up, i wont be buying this nemore

andy
12-09-2003, 04:15 PM
Yeah, good lookin' out. ;) I think this is one of those mods that
barely help, but work in tandem with X-brace, lower tie's all around,
roll cage, etc. In other words, probably don't need it unless you
are way hardcore. heh.

Tenacious G
12-09-2003, 04:20 PM
the EP's chassis is pretty stiff as it is, i don't think there are too many simple bolt-ons that would improve upon the torsional rigidity of the car. the EP doesn't weigh 2744 lbs. or whatever the official weight is for nothing.

SiR_d1
12-09-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
Waste of my money. I don't feel a damn thing from it. nothing feels different. I've had it on for about three days now.

Maybe because I have a rear sway/tie bar combo already, I'm not going to feel much of anything.

Thank you!

I've been saying the same thing, you dont feel anything!!!

But in all fairness I got a wicked deal on mine:angel:

chubbychu
12-09-2003, 05:01 PM
its probaby not the same thing, but i sure felt a 12 dollar difference from my rear strut bar...whats up with that?

Peking
12-09-2003, 05:15 PM

Since you have already upgraded some of your suspension, it would be difficult to see any difference. Doesn't mean it isn't doing anything to help you.

Originally posted by andy
Yeah, good lookin' out. ;) I think this is one of those mods that
barely help, but work in tandem with X-brace, lower tie's all around,
roll cage, etc. In other words, probably don't need it unless you
are way hardcore. heh.

Compared to the X-Brace and lower tie bars, front and rear struts have more noticable feel.

If you are basicaly stock, not a bad mod. I am not the only one who feels this way, but like alot of things, it is objective. So don't diss it until you try it :D

Suk02Si
12-09-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
its probaby not the same thing, but i sure felt a 12 dollar difference from my rear strut bar...whats up with that?

placebo effect ;)

02SilverSiHB
12-10-2003, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
do you have anything else on your car?
I had one of those with a type s sway in the rear with a tie bar also.

Never felt a thing anything with it.

Originally posted by Tenacious G
the EP's chassis is pretty stiff as it is, i don't think there are too many simple bolt-ons that would improve upon the torsional rigidity of the car.
yeah, I was thinking about that when I bought it...I was kind of prepared for not feeling anything from it.

chunky
12-10-2003, 08:46 AM
wow. when I put my neuspeed bar on, the front end stiffened up quite a bit.

is your car lowered? if it's not riding on stiffer springs, then you probbaly won't notice a damned thing b/c the soft spring rates will mask the increased steering precision.

All I know is, when I put it on estella, The improvement in turn in was immediate, and going over rough roads & potholes was a totally different experience as the front end felt MUCH stiffer.

IMO, it's one of the better ways to spend 110 bucks.

Si4U2NV
12-10-2003, 01:10 PM

i'll give ya 30 buckz for it!:smilem:

-Mike

02SilverSiHB
12-10-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by chunky

is your car lowered? if it's not riding on stiffer springs, then you probbaly won't notice a damned thing b/c the soft spring rates will mask the increased steering precision.
yeah, I'm using progress springs and koni shocks

All I know is, when I put it on estella, The improvement in turn in was immediate, and going over rough roads & potholes was a totally different experience as the front end felt MUCH stiffer.

I wonder if maybe it's my damn tire/rim package I have going on. My tires slip a lot now...turns, taking off, etc. heavy rims also...well, not too heavy, but surely not light...19lbs.
Also, I have front camber at -2 degrees

02SilverSiHB
12-10-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Si4U2NV
i'll give ya 30 buckz for it!:smilem:

-Mike
screw that :D I'm keeping it for my bling factor :D

hernameis?
12-10-2003, 05:58 PM
LOL and guess what I just recieved in the mail today? Well I had it on my prev teg and it helped a bit. So once its on Ill post my .02

02SilverSiHB
12-10-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by hernameis?
LOL and guess what I just recieved in the mail today? Well I had it on my prev teg and it helped a bit. So once its on Ill post my .02
yeah, on my 97 EX, I noticed a difference right away..it was more stable when I made turns...but that was an older car and need all the suspension it could get :D

chunky
12-10-2003, 09:19 PM
yeah, I'm using progress springs and koni shocks

I wonder if maybe it's my damn tire/rim package I have going on. My tires slip a lot now...turns, taking off, etc. heavy rims also...well, not too heavy, but surely not light...19lbs.
Also, I have front camber at -2 degrees

hmm. I guess put it through it's paces and see how the car steers through transitions, then take it off to see if you're missing anything.

The weight of the wheels nor the camber should really have any large affect on wether you'd feel the effects of the strut bar. I would think that the increased camber would make the impact of the strut bar even more noticeable due to the increased cornering grip. . .

-2 is a lot for the street. Do you get any uneven tire wear with those settings? i'm running at -1.75 and have slight camber wear.

SiR_d1
12-10-2003, 10:35 PM
I think the only real noticeable susp. mod is a beefer sway bar

SiR_d1
12-10-2003, 10:36 PM
HOLY SHIT!

MY 1000 POST

sorry I just realized:angel:

william
12-10-2003, 10:49 PM
I guess a clue that I had as to wheather or not our car needs a strut brace is the fact that the type R does'nt have one. Maybe it does'nt have one becasue it does'nt need one?

SiR_d1
12-11-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by william
I guess a clue that I had as to wheather or not our car needs a strut brace is the fact that the type R does'nt have one. Maybe it does'nt have one becasue it does'nt need one?

you make a good point, but I like mine now just for the looks

KimchiBoy_TypeR
12-11-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by william

Obviously the difference wouldnt be felt until he takes his car to the track. If it made no difference/improvement why does Spoon,BTCC etc... race cars use them? As for putting it on for bling factor thats just rice imo!!!:confusem: I believe in praticality of mods and I would only put a strut tower brace for racing,and not everyday street driving. Yeah its cool looking but he's probably only going to feel it when he's on the track. I understand that you auto cross 02SilverSiHB so you should see the benifit in this mod. And a question about your strut bar; Is the Neuspeed adjustable?im looking into a strut tower and I cant decide between the DC ti or the Neuspeed.Thx

chunky
12-11-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by KimchiBoy_TypeR
Obviously the difference wouldnt be felt until he takes his car to the track. If it made no difference/improvement why does Spoon,BTCC etc... race cars use them? As for putting it on for bling factor thats just rice imo!!!:confusem: I believe in praticality of mods and I would only put a strut tower brace for racing,and not everyday street driving. Yeah its cool looking but he's probably only going to feel it when he's on the track. I understand that you auto cross 02SilverSiHB so you should see the benifit in this mod. And a question about your strut bar; Is the Neuspeed adjustable?im looking into a strut tower and I cant decide between the DC ti or the Neuspeed.Thx

the neuspeed is non-adjustable. I'm not sure why you'd need an "adjustable" strut bar. There are only very few cases in which you would want a strut bar that has adjustable length, but that depends largely on how the camber for your car adjusts. For the ep3, there's no need for an adjustable length strut bar.

02SilverSiHB
12-11-2003, 08:56 AM
hmm. I guess put it through it's paces and see how the car steers through transitions, then take it off to see if you're missing anything.

The weight of the wheels nor the camber should really have any large affect on wether you'd feel the effects of the strut bar. I would think that the increased camber would make the impact of the strut bar even more noticeable due to the increased cornering grip. . .

-2 is a lot for the street. Do you get any uneven tire wear with those settings? i'm running at -1.75 and have slight camber wear.
surprisingly I haven't noticed much of any uneven wear...I'm still in shock as to how that hasn't happend. but my toyos are about toast. They are getting worn down, but evenly. I rotate them ever 3k miles. I think it's total luck, I've had negative camber before and have got uneven wear like crazy

02SilverSiHB
12-11-2003, 08:58 AM
yeah,I know saying it's for bling factor is gay :D it was a joke.

Anyway,like chunky said, not adjustable, which imo is the best to me. It was a tight fit getting the strut bar in

HondaMan
12-11-2003, 09:44 AM
wow. when I put my neuspeed bar on, the front end stiffened up quite a bit.

Hmmm...interesting topic.

Raz, where did you get it for $110?

KimchiBoy_TypeR
12-11-2003, 10:42 PM
. I'm not sure why you'd need an "adjustable" strut bar. There are only very few cases in which you would want a strut bar that has adjustable length, but that depends largely on how the camber for your car adjusts. For the ep3, there's no need for an adjustable length strut bar.

The reason I would need an adjustable strut bar is simple! Is every track exactly the same? No! and that is why I would need somthing adjustable to get the most performance out of, and it is as simple as that. Also correct me if im wrong, and back to my question that wasnt answered.Who Does make a high quality adjustable strut tower? I think Spoon does, is that it?

todaCspec
12-12-2003, 08:29 AM
I don't have a upper strut bar on the Ep but have gotten them for my previous Honda's and have yet to feel a difference. I've put on a X-brace on the EP and felt the front end become tighter in turns. I would recommend the X-brace for sure.;)

Brettnyt
12-12-2003, 06:11 PM
I just put my strut bar on and I love it... Its wet out so i cant really test it too much, but i can def feel in improvement... Stock springs feel very soft tho... I need my neuspeeds on...

DarkHatch
12-13-2003, 01:08 AM
Have any of you guys heard anything about the tanabe sustec front tie bar? Is it worth the price? Is the design any better? Just curious of what you guys think of it. Thanks

Peking
12-13-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by DarkHatch
Have any of you guys heard anything about the tanabe sustec front tie bar? Is it worth the price? Is the design any better? Just curious of what you guys think of it. Thanks

I don't think front or rear tie bar is worth the money, I would get a rear one just for the bling factor :D

glw
12-13-2003, 07:21 PM
did you guys check out the factory bar just forward of the steering rack! that bar is huge!!!

02SilverSiHB
12-13-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by glw
did you guys check out the factory bar just forward of the steering rack! that bar is huge!!!
yeah, I saw that when I first bought the car...crazy :D

Driftin SI
12-13-2003, 09:41 PM
The reason I would need an adjustable strut bar is simple! Is every track exactly the same? No! and that is why I would need somthing adjustable to get the most performance out of, and it is as simple as that. Also correct me if im wrong, and back to my question that wasnt answered.Who Does make a high quality adjustable strut tower? I think Spoon does, is that it?

I'm sorry dude but thats just plain wrong. Take a good look at any racecar and see how many solid tubes there are welded in that tie into the front strut towers. The stiffer the car is the better. Things you need to worry about at different tracks are tire pressure, shock settings, alignment, etc. Not a freaking strut tower bar. The bar is there for a reason, to remove flex out of the chassis, period. Why would you want a bar that has built in flex points, depeats the purpose whole of the bar in the first place. It would be like having an adjustable roll cage.

Peking
12-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Driftin SI
I'm sorry dude but thats just plain wrong. Take a good look at any racecar and see how many solid tubes there are welded in that tie into the front strut towers. The stiffer the car is the better. Things you need to worry about at different tracks are tire pressure, shock settings, alignment, etc. Not a freaking strut tower bar. The bar is there for a reason, to remove flex out of the chassis, period. Why would you want a bar that has built in flex points, depeats the purpose whole of the bar in the first place. It would be like having an adjustable roll cage.

Agreed, after reading his post. I couldn't how changing the strut bar is possible on the same car, mybe adjusting it to fit other cars is it's true (and only) purpose. Just ask Chunky, tire pressure, shocks, camber, and alignment are much more important like you said Driftin SI :)

Si_Rider
12-13-2003, 09:55 PM
Well for me I installed the neuspeed x-brace and front strut brace at the same time, and I felt a hella of difference. Maybe it's just the x-brace causing most of the difference. But all in all I think each part work a lot better when you complete your suspension seup.

02SilverSiHB
12-13-2003, 10:05 PM
Hey guys...I think it's just my tires. I tried taking it off and testing without, didn't feel a difference, but my tires are just going to shit. I slid to the outside of turns because of my damn tires...I guess I should have took that into consideration before posting this...sorry

glw
12-14-2003, 02:16 AM
Hey guys...I think it's just my tires. I tried taking it off and testing without, didn't feel a difference, but my tires are just going to shit. I slid to the outside of turns because of my damn tires...I guess I should have took that into consideration before posting this...sorry try the yokohama avs es 100's... i just did my first autox practice with them and they are much grippier than the yokohama parada spec2's. the spec2's were 205/45 and the es100's are 215/40 but in any case the es100's are less noisy and don't squeal...

HondaMan
12-14-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by glw
try the yokohama avs es 100's... i just did my first autox practice with them and they are much grippier than the yokohama parada spec2's. the spec2's were 205/45 and the es100's are 215/40 but in any case the es100's are less noisy and don't squeal...

I like my Azenis's for AutoX...may try Kumho next time. :)

Driftin SI
12-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
I like my Azenis's for AutoX...may try Kumho next time. :)

The MX has a much softer sidewall than the Azenis. The MX is a better all around tire as it actually does have some tread that helps disperse water. For auto-x, stick with Azenis, I had both and I prefer them, HTH :)

glw
12-16-2003, 12:12 AM
The MX has a much softer sidewall than the Azenis. The MX is a better all around tire as it actually does have some tread that helps disperse water. For auto-x, stick with Azenis, I had both and I prefer them, HTH :) the smallest azenis is 225/45 in 17's... a smidge large for the ep, don't you think?

03silverEP
12-16-2003, 09:05 AM
I got a new polished neuspeed upper for $110 at tornactive.com and they have a 5% off for ephatch members. I have installed the complete set from neuspeed (Fr.up/Fr.lower X/rear upper/ and rear lower tie-sway combo) I'm happy with it. The car feels tighter on potholes and in the turns. One of the reasons I purchased them was to keep the frame from getting those rattles as it ages. I don't know if it will help in the long run but my old delsol creaked and shimmied over railroad tracks and potholes like crazy. I'm just trying to prevent that as the EP's frame is new still.

Driftin SI
12-16-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by glw
the smallest azenis is 225/45 in 17's... a smidge large for the ep, don't you think?

I'm talking 205/50 15's here, I've had a set of each.

glw
12-16-2003, 11:34 PM
I'm talking 205/50 15's here, I've had a set of each. but i think he has 17" wheels...

HondaMan
12-17-2003, 06:36 AM
I recently got 15 inch Rota C8s (light weight for AutoX) and trying to sale my 17 inch Velox VX8s.

glw
12-17-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by HondaMan
I recently got 15 inch Rota C8s (light weight for AutoX) and trying to sale my 17 inch Velox VX8s. :banana: :smilem:

Driftin SI
12-17-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by glw
:banana: :smilem:

:D no harm, no foul ;)

here's a couple pics for ya, the rabbit has the azenis, the golf has the Kumho's

http://chicagovw.org/memb_cars/cars/a1golf/conrad/autox.jpg

http://www.chicagovw.org/Old%20Events/CVOCup03_03/images/DSCF0054.jpg

HondaMan
12-17-2003, 12:07 PM
:D no harm, no foul ;)

Yep! :)

Dunrick
12-17-2003, 12:47 PM
Nice pics...

if you are 3 wheelin though, your pushin your car too hard anyways....its better to be smooth on all 4 than powering through corners w/ 3 wheels...

Driftin SI
12-17-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Dunrick
Nice pics...

if you are 3 wheelin though, your pushin your car too hard anyways....its better to be smooth on all 4 than powering through corners w/ 3 wheels...

that might work for honda's since they have independant rear suspension, no so for VW unfortunately. If you're not three wheelin in a VW, you're not driving fast enough. I won my class with the silver car two years ago and placed third with the red car last year. I might have won my class if I hadn't gotten rid of it for the Si.