PDA

View Full Version : What is up with the new EP Turbo Kits!

mancalvo
12-09-2003, 06:00 PM
What nobody has nothing to say about the new turbo kits coming to market?Greddy, ect... will the meet C.A.R.B.? If not they suck!, Spend 4 to 5 Gs and they aren't street legal. BUMMMERR!:mad:

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
12-09-2003, 06:07 PM
CARB = California Air Resources Board
You're from PA!
What do you care?

LMAO :p

mancalvo
12-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Guess what buddy, most states in the US require emissions testing!!! And by the way, it is also starting in PA!! If I could find a street legan system, I would fork out the 4-5 Gs!! Do you have any better suggestions or comments??:mad:

eurosteez
12-09-2003, 06:21 PM
damn sounds like your stressing pretty hard. Go for supercharger instead if your so worried about emissions.

mancalvo
12-09-2003, 06:29 PM
NO, its cool. I just wish turbo kit manufacturers would be more conciencious about end users since we have to fork out the money and we still have to live with emission laws. Some do not care when its time to take it in for testing. I guess they could come up with a zipper!:p

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
12-09-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by mancalvo
NO, its cool. I just wish turbo kit manufacturers would be more conciencious about end users since we have to fork out the money and we still have to live with emission laws. Some do not care when its time to take it in for testing. I guess they could come up with a zipper!:p

FYI, 99% of aftermarket "turbo kits" sold are intended for OFFROAD USE ONLY (ie: track use).
If you chose to use it on the street that's a risk you should be ready to take.
Do you have any idea about the R&D involved / how much it costs / how long it takes to have something repeatedly tested and CARB approved?
The EP has only been around 2 model years, be glad that we even have the amount of aftermarket support we have.
Back in 1995 when I bought my "CARB Pending" GReddy turbo kit for my civic EX, I had to wait literally years before a CARB approval number was finally issued.
At least some companies (GReddy) take that initiative.

mancalvo
12-10-2003, 05:44 PM
Thanks for reminding me how long it takes to have a product certified!

I have worked as a research and development engineer in the automotive industry and as a manufacturing engineer in the medical industry in addition of being a certified Ferrari mechanic for over 13 years,for what ever is worth!

I WAS NOT AWARE THAT MOST OF THE AFTERMARKET "TURBO KITS" ARE NOT STREET LEGAL!

THIS IS SOMETHING EVERYONE THINKING ON BUYING NEEDS TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE INVESTING ON A KIT!:(

hernameis?
12-10-2003, 05:53 PM
my god man chill out.. sheeeesh

EPHatchgirl
12-10-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by hernameis?
my god man chill out.. sheeeesh

Nice...

;)

There are ways to make your car pass emissions once you get a turbo kit, but again, like Adam said, that is really something you have to think about before you spend the money.

It's nothing new, it's just our car that is new, and our engine's technology... patience young driver, patience.:cool:

rs_1101
12-10-2003, 07:42 PM
dude it says "offroad your shit or you aint passin no smog, son" on the websites

SiR_d1
12-10-2003, 10:11 PM
I myself don't really plan on doing turbo anytime soon ever since I was suckered into buying a 7 year warranty:(

rs_1101
12-10-2003, 10:53 PM
ohhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooo!. its okay.. sell your ep and buy another?.. i hear the o3's are goin for dirt cheap at the dealers

BluePearl03Si
12-15-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by SiR_d1
I myself don't really plan on doing turbo anytime soon ever since I was suckered into buying a 7 year warranty:(

Did they manage sell you the Laser Etched Glass, Wheel Locks for Stock Wheels, LowJack, and the Factory Alarm too? :banana: