PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler Depot or Renova?

JaYdEeEm
12-09-2003, 09:36 PM
hey i was just wondering which is better quality and is better for the money, i'm thinking of getting the replica type-r wing, but i dunno which is better i know renova is cheaper but spoiler depot already comes painted. any opinions??

BlackSi613nin
12-09-2003, 09:44 PM
why dont you just the JDM type R spoiler, you already got the rest of the JDM kit, why not complete it?

chubbychu
12-09-2003, 10:00 PM
looks the same but cheaper =o)

uhm....depends on what kind of deal you can get it painted for. i think someone calculated that if you could get paint for like 150 than renova is a better deal. but if you are gonna pay 160(shipped) PLUS a 200-300 dollar paint job just go with spoiler depot.

also a plus about the renova path (im pro-renova) if you arent satisfied with the paintjob, you can make a little ruckus at the shop that you are getting it painted at and make sure their workmanship is 100%...whereas if you got it shipped, its just more of a hassle if you find an error

31102si
12-09-2003, 10:26 PM
I bought the renova one and I am very happy with it. I am not positive but I thought the spoiler depot wing came with a clear led light :p and the renova one comes with the red one. :cool: I would look into that. I am not 100 percent though. :)

Brettnyt
12-09-2003, 10:28 PM
Sweet! I would love a clear one... i think that would look sick up against the black car...

RiCeCoOkEr1280
12-10-2003, 06:17 AM
I'm not sure about the Spoiler Depot one, but the Renova DID come w/ a red led.

JaYdEeEm
12-10-2003, 08:51 AM
See i was thinking of going with Renova too...cause for my sideskirts to get painted they were $150 for both, and since the wing is so much smaller compared to the sideskirts i'm guessing it should be more than a $100 to paint.

glw
12-10-2003, 10:08 AM
spoilerdepot wing has red brake led lens. comes painted or primered and fits well (at least mine did).

http://sourcecodegeeks.com/public/civic/images/wing_side_sm.jpg

JaYdEeEm
12-10-2003, 01:30 PM
so which is a better way to go??? renova? or spoiler depot?

!@#$%
12-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Im going to end up ordering from spoiler depot because I've had good experience with them in the past and having to get something painted is such a hassle. Id rather spend a few bucks more and be able to put it on right there instead of having to search out a reputable shop that won't screw me over.

Gasp23
12-10-2003, 02:19 PM
I got mine from Spoilerdepot.com and it's pretty good. I went with them since they have a $100 option to get it painted so I went with that.

Here are a couple of pics:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/pe3f6fc2e4a50550466ef67f323b79442/fb1f0d52.jpg

Before
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p1acbb15cbdd5047db72529d9220b0596/fb1f0db3.jpg

After
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/p5ed61142695f30e65fa7e6f9829cf22b/fb1f0d45.jpg

JaYdEeEm
12-10-2003, 05:31 PM
yeah that's true...having a spoiler sent to you painted is one of the greatest ideas. And i agree on that not going through the hassle of getting it painted. This shop i go to, doesn't give bad prices, and also renova doesn't even have a credit card machine?? you have to go through paypal or money order, that's why i have second thoughts about them. anyways how's the quality on those spoiler depots spoiler?? no modifications required at all??

chubbychu
12-10-2003, 05:49 PM
i bet if you call them they will take a credit card =o) just go renova if you can get it painted for 100

Brettnyt
12-10-2003, 07:38 PM
Oh yeah, how would I wire the brake light to work? Is it simple? Would i have to take it somewhere and get it done? Thanks for your help!

It says I have to drill... How tough is that to do? Simple? Im a lil afraid... My dad just wants to know how to install it...

31102si
12-10-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Brettnyt
Oh yeah, how would I wire the brake light to work? Is it simple? Would i have to take it somewhere and get it done? Thanks for your help!

It says I have to drill... How tough is that to do? Simple? Im a lil afraid... My dad just wants to know how to install it...

You don't have to drill any holes with the renova wing I am not sure about the spoiler depot but you do have to sand down the bottom of the wing to make it fit right. And then you have to cover the holes with fiberglass. All of the tools and supplies that you need can be bought at Home Depot. As far as the wiring goes you just cut the fatory brake light wire(there are only two wires a positive and ground wire) and connect the wire from the type r wing to that. It is pretty simple.

JaYdEeEm
12-10-2003, 08:27 PM
no they really don't take credit card because they don't have a credit machine right now, so the only way is paypal or money order.

Brettnyt
12-10-2003, 08:44 PM
Woah woah woah... can i still shave the wing down if it comes painted...? Is this a good idea for a 16 year old like me?

SiR_d1
12-10-2003, 08:47 PM
OR...

you guys can get the OEM GFX wing that looks a lot like the CTR wing. It already pre painted through Honda in the factory cover and its a perfect fit;)

I'm still waiting on one myself, but for those who are interested it comes to $350 tax in but not including shipping

31102si
12-10-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Brettnyt
Woah woah woah... can i still shave the wing down if it comes painted...? Is this a good idea for a 16 year old like me?

maybe it comes ready to fit.:confused: I would call and find out.

JaYdEeEm
12-11-2003, 10:17 AM
yeah i think renova is a good way, you save money.

Vertigo
12-11-2003, 10:58 AM
I want to know if you have to pre-fit and sand or if it is ready to bolt on?

skooba
12-11-2003, 12:14 PM
i got the renova wing. it's been sitting in my room for quite some time now, havent had the urge to install it in this crappy weather, plus it isnt painted. gonna get it painted for $50 in a few days, so $210 for a ctr style wing isnt bad.

blackout
12-11-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by JaYdEeEm
no they really don't take credit card because they don't have a credit machine right now, so the only way is paypal or money order.

why don't you set up a paypal account, my account can pay with through my checking or my mastercard. I just bought the renova wing from ebay today. the best thing about getting it unpainted is that you can paint other parts the same time. I'm gonna paint the black base of the side mirrors and maybe the grille.

JaYdEeEm
12-12-2003, 12:05 AM
hmmm how did you pay $50 and it came out to $210?? isn't $190 all together? by the way that's a good price for paint too..i'm thinking of getting paypal account. have to find out.

chubbychu
12-12-2003, 12:21 AM
paypal sucks terrible...too pricey to use their service...money order is gooood =o)

02SilverSiHB
12-12-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
paypal sucks terrible...too pricey to use their service...money order is gooood =o)
? it's free to use...unless you sell something, they take 3%

blackout
12-12-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
? it's free to use...unless you sell something, they take 3%

Yeah paypal has been great for me, you don't have to wait for your payment to arrive before your stuff gets sent out. I only paid 120 for my renova plus 45 shipping. $165. before paint. not bad at all.

Gasp23
12-12-2003, 11:33 AM
The Spoiler Depot you do need to make a drill hole. I was afraid too when I did it. The whole thing is super simple.

Drill the hole and put the wire through the gomit and snap the wires together and it will be done. No modifications needed for the the wing.

skooba
12-12-2003, 11:42 AM
hmmm how did you pay $50 and it came out to $210?? isn't $190 all together? by the way that's a good price for paint too..i'm thinking of getting paypal account. have to find out.

$160 shipped for wing + $50 for paint = $210 total

JaYdEeEm
12-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Oh i see, well i asked and they said its $140 shipped to my door, i guess they lowered prices.

glw
12-12-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Gasp23
The Spoiler Depot you do need to make a drill hole. I was afraid too when I did it. The whole thing is super simple.

Drill the hole and put the wire through the gomit and snap the wires together and it will be done. No modifications needed for the the wing. i didn't drill a hole when i installed mine. i used one of the existing holes after i put a rubber grommet in there... i just ended up using one less bolt...

raiyo
12-12-2003, 04:18 PM
Go with Renova, why? Cuz I got one, fits good, not great, but good. It came primed, but I had to do some sanding, the primer wasn't.....even all through out. One side of the spoiler didnt touch the glass, but that is all fixed now. I just screwed the bolt tighter, hehe.

Alright, here is my reason of getting Renova, or your reason to get it from there. It doesn't come painted, but you can always find somewhere that does. Maybe for alittle more than what spoiler depot is charging for it to come painted, but the paint shop could install it for you also. I heard the paint job/color from Spoiler Depot's spolier isn't dead on, alittle off. If you get a shop to do it, if it doesn't look right, complain. If the spoiler doesn't touch the glass, tell them to sand it. Don't leave till you're happy.

THE END.

glw
12-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by raiyo
Go with Renova, why? Cuz I got one, fits good, not great, but good. It came primed, but I had to do some sanding, the primer wasn't.....even all through out. One side of the spoiler didnt touch the glass, but that is all fixed now. I just screwed the bolt tighter, hehe.

Alright, here is my reason of getting Renova, or your reason to get it from there. It doesn't come painted, but you can always find somewhere that does. Maybe for alittle more than what spoiler depot is charging for it to come painted, but the paint shop could install it for you also. I heard the paint job/color from Spoiler Depot's spolier isn't dead on, alittle off. If you get a shop to do it, if it doesn't look right, complain. If the spoiler doesn't touch the glass, tell them to sand it. Don't leave till you're happy.

THE END. go spoilerdepot... great finish (paint match on white is dead on) and fit on mine. no sanding or painting. just install - it's not hard... just get a friend to help put and hold it in place while tightening the crosstipped screws. the wiring is pretty easy too - just use the clips that come with it.

raiyo
12-12-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by glw
go spoilerdepot... great finish (paint match on white is dead on) and fit on mine. no sanding or painting. just install - it's not hard... just get a friend to help put and hold it in place while tightening the crosstipped screws. the wiring is pretty easy too - just use the clips that come with it.

paint matched huh? not for silver it didn't. not sure who it was, but the paint didnt match all that well. maybe for white or black it is dead on, but not for other colors.

JaYdEeEm
12-13-2003, 09:45 AM
Waiting on signing up for paypal? so it is easy to put on the Renova one??

blackout
12-13-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by raiyo
paint matched huh? not for silver it didn't. not sure who it was, but the paint didnt match all that well. maybe for white or black it is dead on, but not for other colors.

I've seen the blue from spoiler depot, it was a perfect match, I still bought the renova wing though...

JaYdEeEm
12-13-2003, 01:37 PM
blaCKout are you satisfied with your wing from renova??? how's the fitting??

blackout
12-13-2003, 02:08 PM
blaCKout are you satisfied with your wing from renova??? how's the fitting??

actually it should be here wednesday, another guy I know has it and got a good paint job, so I'll go where he went, he said he didnt modify his, looks flawless to me...hope mine is the same.

Vivid-Cruz
12-13-2003, 11:52 PM
I think it is crazy to buy a pre-painted wing.. the paint has to be blended to the color of your car.. colors on every car are going to be a little different.. i think its a cardinal sin to buy a pre-painted anything..

glw
12-14-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Vivid-Cruz
I think it is crazy to buy a pre-painted wing.. the paint has to be blended to the color of your car.. colors on every car are going to be a little different.. i think its a cardinal sin to buy a pre-painted anything.. you should really take a look at the one i got then... great match and no orange peel - just smooth and glossy. they did a great job. maybe tafetta white is just easy!

JaYdEeEm
12-14-2003, 01:50 PM
oh blackout how much you pay for the the wing shipped?

blackout
12-14-2003, 02:08 PM
oh blackout how much you pay for the the wing shipped?

$165 shipped off ebay, I probably could have got it for $99 plus shipping($45) but I used the buy it now button so I wouldnt miss out.

trk
12-14-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by blackout
actually it should be here wednesday, another guy I know has it and got a good paint job, so I'll go where he went, he said he didnt modify his, looks flawless to me...hope mine is the same.

yeah -- thats me -- 160 shipped + 160 to paint it.... and they did a rockin job... matches exactly... no problems with the fit... Also, I didnt drill a hole, I used an existing hole and used 1 less bolt...

it rattles now and then ... just gonna tighten it every once in a while ... not all at once though cause I dont want to strip out the bolt thread.

http://homepage.mac.com/tai/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2003-11-27%2010.00.41%20-0800/Image-0A6E80F5210111D8.jpg

JaYdEeEm
12-14-2003, 08:44 PM
wow!? $160 to paint?? that is really expensive. i hope you didn't just paint that.

Civicvtec1ps
12-14-2003, 08:45 PM
wow!? $160 to paint?? that is really expensive. i hope you didn't just paint that. Nah, $160 isnt expensive for prep, painting spoiler.

JaYdEeEm
12-15-2003, 11:43 AM
i think its expensive, for my sideskirts to get painted they were $75 a piece, so it came out to $150 painted.

trk
12-15-2003, 11:52 AM
i think its expensive, for my sideskirts to get painted they were $75 a piece, so it came out to $150 painted.

I got quotes ranging from $100 (ricer shops paint guy), to $300 (painted my bros ride) -- I picked a middle of the line company that does great work and think that 160 was very fair. Excellent work.

JaYdEeEm
12-15-2003, 04:15 PM
if you pay that much you might as well buy the wing from spoiler depot, since its $325 painted already. just install it right on

trk
12-15-2003, 04:33 PM
if you pay that much you might as well buy the wing from spoiler depot, since its $325 painted already. just install it right on

and if shows up miscolored or scratched?

glw
12-15-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by trk
and if shows up miscolored or scratched?
[quote]Directly from spoilerdepot.com website[b]
We stand behind the aforementioned with our Lifetime Warranty on Paint and Manufacturing, which protects the original purchaser from any defect in paint or manufacturing, for as long as they live.

Now that

trk
12-15-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by glw

thats all great -- except shipping charges and the hassle just arent worth it ... plus the spoiler depot wing is 5$ more by my count...

stupid argument.

glw
12-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by trk
thats all great -- except shipping charges and the hassle just arent worth it ... plus the spoiler depot wing is 5$ more by my count...

stupid argument. i'm not arguing, i was just answering your question. it seems to me it's a personal choice - both look like quality products. one needs paint (but is cheaper) and the other doesn't (and cost a little more). and what hassle? spoilerdepot wing comes ready to install out of the box.

the only other difference i noticed betweeen the two was very minor. the renova wing seemed a little sharper on the edges while the spoilerdepot seemed a bit more rounded. once again personal choice.

chubbychu
12-15-2003, 10:24 PM
alright with shipping and painting, a spoilerdepot wing comes out to
$359.56

thats their total checkout price

renova is- 160 SHIPPED. so that means...you have...$199.56 to paint your wing.

meaning! it all comes down to how much your paint job is gonna be. If you get a 100 dollar paint job than you are saving 99 dollars =o)

sorry for being captain obvious but this is the truth.

todaCspec
12-17-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si

meaning! it all comes down to how much your paint job is gonna be. If you get a 100 dollar paint job than you are saving 99 dollars =o)

You'll also save more if you were painting more stuff such as a body kit.

chubbychu
12-17-2003, 04:55 PM
yea...i went the renova way, cuz i MIGHT have sideskirts coming in =o) yay! but even still, i can get it painted for pretty cheap so it was better than the spoiler depot one

JaYdEeEm
12-17-2003, 08:48 PM
true...

blackout
12-18-2003, 12:01 PM
I just dropped off my renova wing at the paint shop. I should be able to pick it up tommarro!!! I cant wait.:D

JaYdEeEm
12-18-2003, 12:13 PM
hey let me know how it goes.

blackout
12-20-2003, 10:44 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33638&item=2449544976

here is the renova auto wing for (buy it now price) $99.00 and the replica buddy club wing for $162.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33638&item=2449617815

you could pay $20.00 less than I did if you snatch it up quick...

JaYdEeEm
12-20-2003, 02:51 PM
its on the way already, paid $4 cheaper then the ebay item. but thanks for the info though.

ViViDPeArL
12-21-2003, 02:32 AM
does anyone know if there's away to get the renova ctr replica wing to fit better? i remember reading somewhere that people said to file/sand down the ends of the wing? seems like some people have good fit, and some have better fit. i'm trying to get rid of the gap between the wing, and the car at the top. know what i mean?

TezGari
12-28-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by ViViDPeArL
does anyone know if there's away to get the renova ctr replica wing to fit better? i remember reading somewhere that people said to file/sand down the ends of the wing? seems like some people have good fit, and some have better fit. i'm trying to get rid of the gap between the wing, and the car at the top. know what i mean?

Wow sanding and stuff scares me...I just wana perfect fitting wing..I like the spoiler depot one, because they use OEM material to make their wing...I wana wait till the GFX kit (honda FP kit) comes to the US, and pick up the wing..I want a perfect OEM fit and look from the OEM themselves...Also if OEM makes it in the USA that means that places who sell honda OEM parts will have it on their website, i.e. www.handaaccessories.com...

To scared im a little girl when it comes to modding..:(

blackout
12-29-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by trinispeed
Wow sanding and stuff scares me...I just wana perfect fitting wing..I like the spoiler depot one, because they use OEM material to make their wing...I wana wait till the GFX kit (honda FP kit) comes to the US, and pick up the wing..I want a perfect OEM fit and look from the OEM themselves...Also if OEM makes it in the USA that means that places who sell honda OEM parts will have it on their website, i.e. www.handaaccessories.com...

To scared im a little girl when it comes to modding..:(

I would have gotten the oem if it were an option but the renova auto wing looks and fits perfect. I took it to a good paint shop though where they sand it if they need too. Its didn't come with install intructions, but its easy. does any one have a price for the oem "us spec" wing?

ep_jee
12-29-2003, 10:12 PM
its a noob question but what kind of material is it?

PAPITUYO326
01-01-2004, 08:37 PM
originally posted by JaYdEeEm

its on the way already, paid $4 cheaper then the ebay item. but thanks for the info though

where did you get your spoiler from(since you didnt get it from ebay)??:banana:

edit: did you just email em?

ViViDPeArL
01-01-2004, 08:47 PM
check out the fitment problem of the Renova wing....no big deal though...what do you expect from a $100 dollar spolier? all in all...i love it :)

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26855&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

JaYdEeEm
01-01-2004, 11:59 PM
well, i called renova and they told me $140 shipped, then they told me to paypal them and after the wing came in a week. if you want the number let me know.

chubbychu
01-02-2004, 12:51 AM
i got the renova...it looks really nice, but my primer was grey....=o(

JaYdEeEm
01-02-2004, 06:02 PM
yeah mine came gray too!

IK632
01-02-2004, 09:29 PM
well, i called renova and they told me $140 shipped, then they told me to paypal them and after the wing came in a week. if you want the number let me know.

What's their number and website? I can't seam to find it doing a search. Thanks.

JaYdEeEm
01-03-2004, 11:32 AM
email me and i'll give it to you

PAPITUYO326
01-03-2004, 12:20 PM
thanks for the number man!!:D