PDA

View Full Version : Is homemade intake worth it?

fASTBACK
09-17-2002, 10:15 PM
Is the homemade intake worth it? Is the price of the filter worth it for the amount of horsepower and torque it would get. Im thinking about making my own or saving that 40 bucks towards a AEM cold air. Has anybody with a homemade intake dyno it and see how much it really makes over stock?

02SilverSiHB
09-18-2002, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by fASTBACK
Is the homemade intake worth it? Is the price of the filter worth it for the amount of horsepower and torque it would get. Im thinking about making my own or saving that 40 bucks towards a AEM cold air. Has anybody with a homemade intake dyno it and see how much it really makes over stock?
40 bucks towad an AEM? how much is your homemade intake? Mine cost about 10 bucks for a filter......maybe you're talking about a more involved homemade intake....I just bought a Short Ram intake off of ebay for like 50 shipped

02blksi
09-18-2002, 06:40 AM
worth it to me :) -joe

SBC31
09-18-2002, 06:42 AM
One word comes to mind:

GHETTO

02blksi
09-18-2002, 07:07 AM
"One word comes to mind:

GHETTO"

UNCALLED FOR SBC. Id be willing to put my "ghetto" intake against your MAd Phast HIper ShIny intake. what makes it ghetto, the fact that i spent 10 dollars to do the same as what you spent 200+ to do? or because its home made and i didnt just go to NOPI.COM and buy a "real":rolleyes: intake. afterall what is the real one really? kn on a stick 150+$. whats the "ghetto" one? kn on a stick for 10.00

you do the math...

fASTBACK
09-18-2002, 07:18 AM
i was wondering how much power did u make on the intake? Homemade sounds really good to me. What filter did u buy and is there a big difference say from an AEM short ram?

SBC31
09-18-2002, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by 02blksi
UNCALLED FOR SBC.
Hey, the guy wanted opinions, and that's mine.

That's all folks.

p.s. I don't even have an intake, I'm too cheap to buy one, but I sure won't make my own. (again this is just my opinion, no need to get upset 02blksi)

silver ep
09-18-2002, 07:27 AM
I figure as long as the homemade holds up after time and doesnt leak air its not too bad.

For me Id rather get a Comptech ice box! :D

fASTBACK
09-18-2002, 07:42 AM
i was wondering how much power did u make on the intake? Homemade sounds really good to me. What filter did u buy and is there a big difference say from an AEM short ram?

madbrain
09-18-2002, 07:55 AM

The but dyno is very pleased with the homemade intake. To answer your question there is no difference between a homemade SRI and an AEM. Except mine is probably positioned better than an AEM.

madbrain
09-18-2002, 08:02 AM
p.s. I don't even have an intake, I'm too cheap to buy one, but I sure won't make my own. (again this is just my opinion, no need to get upset 02blksi)

Once again MOD (SBC) you are supposed to help people and why may I ask do you moderate a forum in which you have little knowledge of the subject matter. I wish you would reserve your comments to specific technical advice and answer questions rather than just posting opinions. If you wish to prove that you do have some technical advice please feel free to check out my other posts and threads and respond at will if you can.

BlasTech
09-18-2002, 11:00 AM
I think GHETTO better describes anyone who unwittingly falls for marketing ploys and pays too much for a product that is only different in its brand name from other products, that could have been made in the same factory.

PS: I'm not referring to anyone or any product in particular here, this could apply to sneakers and shirts as well, right?

nikkotyper
09-18-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by SBC31
One word comes to mind:

GHETTO

The people who are machanically inclined LOVE making their own stuff. I made one for my previous car and I will probably make one again for my honda (if I ever get some free time and do enough research.)
For my VR6 intake I scouted eBay for best parts and made a CAI for about $50 (including all the shipping costs.) I basically put together several parts that I thought would make a difference.

Additionally, people who wish to rellocate the battery might consider making their own intake ...

Either way it is an interesting and easy project that all of us can do with a some time and little money investment.

There is not a single thing that makes it ghetto.

nikkotyper
09-18-2002, 12:15 PM
SBC31, (in response to your response that got deleted)

this is a message board -> we express our opinions -> opinions could conflict ...
That said, I respect yours and everybody else's opinion.
I could be wrong. You could be wrong. All of us could be wrong. It does not matter as long as we do not take it personally. I am here because I want to get different views and ancillary opinions from various people.

Thanks.

SBC31
09-18-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by nikkotyper
this is a message board -> we express our opinions -> opinions could conflict ...
That said, I respect yours and everybody else's opinion.
I could be wrong. You could be wrong. All of us could be wrong. It does not matter as long as we do not take it personally. I am here because I want to get different views and ancillary opinions from various people.

Thanks.
Well said nikko.

fASTBACK
09-18-2002, 01:47 PM
How much horses are you guys with the homemade short ram intakes actully getting Vs. a real shortram intake:confused: