PDA

View Full Version : Best Spring Choice?

akira
12-09-2003, 10:24 PM
I am currently considering dropping my 2002 Si. I have a few problems though:
As i dont have much money i want to stick with stock shocks. Can anyone suggest springs that will not put too much stress on my shocks?
Also where i go to school there are a lot of speedbumps, i want to be able to clear those.
Can anyone suggest a good set that meets all that criteria?
Thanks in advance

Peking
12-09-2003, 10:32 PM
It is safe to say that anything that isn't any lower than 2" is safe enough for the speedbumps. I have H&R Race springs (lowers about 2" all around, no problems). If you lower it at all, it means that the stock shocks will go out quicker than if you left the stock springs on. So you could go with something like the

http://www.optauto.com/store/images/EIB-PK.GIF

Item#: EIB-4056
The Eibach Pro-Kit Sport Lowering Spring Set improves your vehicle's looks and performance. Pro-Kit Springs lower the vehicle's center of gravity, reducing body roll in the turns, dive under braking, squat during acceleration and give the car a more solid secure feel at all times. Pro-Kit Springs also minimize the ugly fender gap that makes a car look "lifted".

http://www.optauto.com/store/images/PRG-SPRNG.GIF

Item#: PRG-401007
Progress Springs have been developed for enthusiasts who seek maximum suspension performance for street and autocross use. The progressive rate springs are aggressively lowered so that they will significantly improve appearance and handling. The increased spring rates are specifically tuned to minimized body roll and provide superior ride quality. The Progress Lifetime Warranty assures enthusiasts of their exceptional quality products.

Here is the link to options auto saloon (great site to look around)...
http://www.optauto.com/webstore/product_list.asp?dept=237&last=237

When you find something you like give showstoppers a call, they have great prices and are very knowledgeable.

Also if you go for more than a 1.5" drop than get yourself a SPC Camber kit to correct your wheel balance.

akira
12-09-2003, 10:41 PM
thanks, do you think that the eibach's are worth the extra money? do they provide a better ride than the progressive springs?

chubbychu
12-09-2003, 10:52 PM
i dunno...for a 1 inch drop, its just not worth it to me. almost 200 bucks?....i mean our car is way too high and needs more than a prokit sized drop.

if I WERE YOU and had the extra money to get a set of eibachs...go with the sportline. at first i was gonna get them but they ended not fitting in my budget. heres a couple reasons i would go with sportline
1) quality is not an issue...they are very very top end springs
2) coil isolators are better than most other springs (some dont even come with them)
3) sag, if any, is minimal compared to other springs
4) and ride height is just right. not too agressive, yet gives that sportylook.
5) everyone says they ride like stock and a little stiffer.

Cons
1)a little more than other springs

you COULD save for a set of tein basics or the mugen thing.

Stas03Si
12-09-2003, 11:43 PM
I got some sportlines waiting to be installed. Waiting on the spc camber kit to come in. I've had sportlines on my other 2 cars and I loved them, not slammed but a nice look and the ride quality is excellent even with stock shocks. I'll let you know when I get mine installed on how it is.

master7
12-10-2003, 06:50 AM
Go with a set of TEIN S-TECHS around a 1.5 drop maybe drops a little bit lower after awhile- but quality ride 4 sure.

akira
12-10-2003, 04:55 PM
I'm just a high school student so I don

Peking
12-10-2003, 05:15 PM
It depends, some folks can go for a few years. Some can't go less than a two years. Go for the Progress, many folks here have them as a first spring (like Hondaman). Later down the road spend alittle more for something like the Mugen set-up :D Alot of us have droped our rides without upgrading our shocks, so don't worry to much.

TezGari
12-10-2003, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by akira
[B]I'm just a high school student so I don

rs_1101
12-10-2003, 11:46 PM
i got stechs, but id reccomend any spring with a springrate comparable to stock for the sake of your shocks. make sure u align ur car when u done installing springies (70$)
id recommend stechs or probably progresss cuz its got the closest to stock springrate. the stechs arent really a performance spring, but they definitly get the job done.

SAVE UP FOR SHOCKS

03silverEP
12-11-2003, 08:26 AM
eibach's are the best, good drop, no sag, handles very nice w/o harshness, as for the price www.tirerack.com has them for $183 you're prob. looking at $200 to your door.

rs_1101
12-11-2003, 12:13 PM
i heard the stiffer eibachs can tear thru ur struts, like most stiff springs

Peking
12-11-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by rs_1101
i heard the stiffer eibachs can tear thru ur struts, like most stiff springs

Won't be that big of a difference, some members here have been riding on Eibachs Sportlines for some time now with no complaints. Then agian I would buy other springs, since they are cheaper. Springs are not that different from other name brand springs.

chubbychu
12-11-2003, 04:56 PM
your other 3 top choices if not sportlines is
progress
tein
h&r

progress...all around nice.
tein...made for coupes but works comparable to the progress
h&r from what i have heard drop lower than those other 2 but ride is really close to stock

rs_1101
12-11-2003, 05:27 PM
imo i wouldnt go below 2 inches.

also springrate is springrate. id persoally trust eibach more, if you dont want to go mugen, but my teins are doin just fine

Peking
12-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by rs_1101
imo i wouldnt go below 2 inches.
also springrate is springrate. id persoally trust eibach more, if you dont want to go mugen, but my teins are doin just fine

When it comes to springs, you can't go wrong with any name brand. I don't know of any spring that goes under 2" all around. Now I have been told that the Neuspeed Race Springs will sag alittle more than 2", but I have seen members with them. No problems, if you can afford coilovers, then do that. If not, any name brand spring will do just fine. Within a two year span if you care about a close to stock ride, then plan to upgrade shocks. That simple :)

rs_1101
12-12-2003, 01:41 AM
ur prolly right, but, apparently, some people do blow their shocks before 2 years tho, and i felt it necessary to let this guy know.
i kno most of us have very few problems with our stockies, but i wouldnt want to feel responsible for really telling someone to go out and lower their car on the first set of springs they see, and have them blow a strut. odds are he wont, but u gotta scare him alittle bit so he doesnt rush into a decision like this.