PDA

View Full Version : Question about headers?

master7
12-10-2003, 01:15 PM
I did a search and no clear answer for my questions...so

currently I got a AEM CAI and a magnaflow exhaust system, now i am looking to change the stock header- now heres my question- should i get the ceramic or stainless steel ( looking at the D/C') - what is the difference besides price.

And does changing the header- automatically run you into inspection failure? I dont want to put anything on that in the long run gives me problem with passing inspection.

Thanks for the feed back..PEACE

!@#$%
12-10-2003, 01:29 PM
the DC sport headers are Carb exempt. I think the Comptech ones are too. These shorty 4-2 headers will not give you any compromises with emissions. The choice between ceramic and stainless steel it really whether or not you want to pay more for the same product. I have the ceramic and it works like any other header.

The only differences I can think of between ceramic and SS, would be:

-visual appearance. SS is all shiny, but you can't see the header on our cars anyway.

-price. SS is more expensive.

-temp control. Ceramic controls heat soak better than a SS header would.

master7
12-10-2003, 02:07 PM
Thanks !@#$% , and how much did you get yr "head" for....J/K ..(*_*)and where you got it from.

Peking
12-10-2003, 04:24 PM
Over time the Ceramic will brown from the heat, and stainless will tarnish over time. Ceramic would be the best way to go, since how many times do you want someone to lean over your engine to see your blingy headers :D Don't forget when you get the headers that if you go with the DC Sports that it has the better welded flange...

http://www.k-series.com/Images/Tech/DC_EP3_HEADER/DC_Header-1.jpg

styllinep3
12-13-2003, 03:16 PM
i have the same setup with dc 421 ss. get it u will be very happy . excellent gains, and nice added exhaust note. all most can hear the air rushing through the header sound nice .

2.0L Monster
12-13-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by !@#$%
-temp control. Ceramic controls heat soak better than a SS header would.

Does the temp of the headers really matter?

Peking
12-13-2003, 06:14 PM
You don't want large amounts of heat from the headers to come back into the engine compartment. Effects performance, and could effect other components.

k20whiteboi269
12-13-2003, 06:43 PM
hmmmm... ive heard that dc sport ceramic header crack after a short time on k series engines. 2 people have told me this but they were refering to rsx-type s though. i recently purchased dc ceramic and im kinda wondering if im gonna have a problem down the road. has anyone else heard of this?

Peking
12-13-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by k20whiteboi269
hmmmm... ive heard that dc sport ceramic header crack after a short time on k series engines. 2 people have told me this but they were refering to rsx-type s though. i recently purchased dc ceramic and im kinda wondering if im gonna have a problem down the road. has anyone else heard of this?

What I think you are referring to is the welds on the flange breaking, can happen on the stock headers as well. There are actually two versions of the headers for our ride. Ver.1 no extra welding, Ver.2 with, just check out the pic I posted a few posts up. If you look back at the older Civics and Integras, the headers were in the front of the engine, and went underneath to the rear. That made it much easier to hit something, and make the headers crack or dent. I thanked God when they transversed the engine, now we don't have to worry about damaging our headers when we lower our rides :)