PDA

View Full Version : My car smells like someone is farting?

anjapower
12-10-2003, 04:47 PM
I know there are some funny smells from new cars when the cat is breaking in, but I have nearly 14k on my car. I don't know if it has to do with the different gasoline mixture in the winter (they do this in the NE part of the country anyway) or what, but lately I've been having this problem.

There's this nice little stretch of road leading to my apartment and for the past couple days, I've been flooring my car from about 20mph in 2nd gear to about 7500RPM or so, before I have to take the turn for my parking lot. About 15-20 seconds after I've romped thru 2nd gear, I park my car and and turn it off to go inside. Past few times when I've got out, I've noticed that it smells like poop:o Well not exactly like poop, but a very sulfuric/rotten egg type smell.

Is this normal?

02civicSI
12-10-2003, 04:49 PM
search around for this topic because i remember reading about this in a few threads. never had the problem myself but you are not the only one with this smell.

Mugen_EP
12-10-2003, 04:54 PM
What are you feeding your car?:D

Peking
12-10-2003, 04:59 PM
Might be your upper lip...

Just kidding :D

civicSIracer
12-10-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Peking
Might be your upper lip...

Just kidding :D

hhahahahhahahah that was a good one man.
ha

Peking
12-10-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by civicSIracer
hhahahahhahahah that was a good one man.
ha

Thanks, I took it back to elementry school on that one :D

Rueda del Queso
12-10-2003, 05:15 PM
This has happened to me a few times, not necessarily when driving hard. I first thought it was from the clutch, but after smelling a burnt clutch I can tell that it wasn't.

anjapower
12-10-2003, 05:26 PM
i only feed her 93 Octane. I know this isn't a burnt clutch smell. :confusem:

1flySi2002
12-10-2003, 05:27 PM
My car smells like a fart/rotten egg all the time, well not all the time, but after I get done driving. i read on here that if you put the really good gas in the smell goes away, but I dont want to spend the extra .10 per gal. so I'll just deal with the smell.

TheMutt
12-10-2003, 07:09 PM
My car would smell like that from time to time after baking in the sun for a couple of hours, but from the inside. Maybe that was just me though.

ep_nezay
12-10-2003, 07:13 PM
[i]Originally posted by anjapower . Past few times when I've got out, I've noticed that it smells like poop:o Well not exactly like poop, but a very sulfuric/rotten egg type smell.

Is this normal? [/B]

Does it smell inside your car?
Are you sure its your car, not your surroundings?
What mods do you have to your car, besides hondata Im assuming,since you are revving to 7500rpm.

Most of the time when you get that smell is beacause;
1)Your not running a cat.
2)Your cat is bad.
3)You have a leak right before your cat.

anjapower
12-10-2003, 07:36 PM
well i park in the same spot everytime, I don't think there's anything else that would make it smell like that. I just have intake, exhaust and Hondata for power mods. The smell doesn't really leak inside unless I have the windows open

On a similar note, I've noticed that my friends' Sequoia V8 smells pretty shitty like my car when it gets romped on. I've noticed the other Toyota V8s smell like this too. Supposedly his smell went away with a higher quality gas, but I'm using Mobil 93 right now!

civic si hb
12-10-2003, 07:38 PM
Anj, my car recently started to do the same thing. usually happens on the highway or back road doing over 45 mph

IIx 03 EP xII
12-10-2003, 07:38 PM
i have a somewhat sulfuric smell from driving now too. i just installed a magnaflow catback today... and my buddy who installed it said it will go away and it is just the 'breaking in'. is this true?

Zero Three Si
12-10-2003, 07:48 PM
The car is just breaking in. I'm assuming that you have less than 3-5000 miles on your car.

anjapower
12-10-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Zero Three Si
The car is just breaking in. I'm assuming that you have less than 3-5000 miles on your car.

read above, i have over 14k on mine.

IIx 03 EP xII
12-11-2003, 08:13 AM
i have about 9500 miles on MY car... and i am getting the smell... but i was told it was due to the brand new catback.

BlackNRedSi
12-11-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by anjapower
read above, i have over 14k on mine.

my car gets like that every now and then when i romp on it

jus smoke a blizunt 2 yer head in the car one day, it will stop smellin like that! :)

eric

SilverEpInDc
12-11-2003, 09:06 AM
My car is the same but imn starting to wonder if it somehting with the exhuast I have a greddy evo

Zero Three Si
12-11-2003, 09:22 AM
Take the car into honda.

glw
12-11-2003, 09:52 AM
brake pads have a farty smell - especially if you leave the hand/emergency brake pulled up (or tightened it too tight :o ).

Rueda del Queso
12-11-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Zero Three Si
Take the car into honda.

Heh, I can only imagine what Honda's response would be:

"Driving the car around the parking lot for 2 minutes we were unable to reproduce the smell. Therefore, nothing is wrong with your car."

"But I told you, it only happens some of the time."

"It must be something on the road then."

"No, it is definitely coming from the car when it happens."

"You are driving your car too hard, burning the clutch or something you street racer idiot."

"I already told you, it was a sulfuric, rotten egg type smell. I think something is probably wrong with the exhaust."

"Bah, probably because you modified it you damn racer."

"I didn't modify it, it's stock."

"Well, it is probably all in your head anyway since you are just some stupid punk ricer. Go away, I'm busy ripping people off. Come back when you can reproduce the smell."

Then you get super-pissed and bodyslam the dumbass honda tech. You make sure that he is still conscious though, and then you sit on his head and proceed to fart a few times in his face.

"There, I reproduced the smell for you, asshole. Now fix my damn car!"

"Ah, please, don't hurt me. Tell you what, I'll just assume it was factory defect with the engine and give you a K20A2. Please don't kill me . . ."

"Damn straight."

Then you pick up the brand new K20A2 he had laying around and carry it to your car with one hand and proceed to complete the entire swap in 45 minutes. Then, when the honda guy comes out to smoke a cigarette, you run him over.

SilverEpInDc
12-11-2003, 10:15 AM
haha or something to that sort!

oogy-boogy
12-11-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Rueda del Queso
Heh, I can only imagine what Honda's response would be:

"Driving the car around the parking lot for 2 minutes we were unable to reproduce the smell. Therefore, nothing is wrong with your car."

"But I told you, it only happens some of the time."

"It must be something on the road then."

"No, it is definitely coming from the car when it happens."

"You are driving your car too hard, burning the clutch or something you street racer idiot."

"I already told you, it was a sulfuric, rotten egg type smell. I think something is probably wrong with the exhaust."

"Bah, probably because you modified it you damn racer."

"I didn't modify it, it's stock."

"Well, it is probably all in your head anyway since you are just some stupid punk ricer. Go away, I'm busy ripping people off. Come back when you can reproduce the smell."

Then you get super-pissed and bodyslam the dumbass honda tech. You make sure that he is still conscious though, and then you sit on his head and proceed to fart a few times in his face.

"There, I reproduced the smell for you, asshole. Now fix my damn car!"

"Ah, please, don't hurt me. Tell you what, I'll just assume it was factory defect with the engine and give you a K20A2. Please don't kill me . . ."

"Damn straight."

Then you pick up the brand new K20A2 he had laying around and carry it to your car with one hand and proceed to complete the entire swap in 45 minutes. Then, when the honda guy comes out to smoke a cigarette, you run him over.

Lol....

Sup Anj....I have the same problem at times. It happened every once in a while. I was curious as well.

NamingException
12-11-2003, 01:53 PM
Mine started smelling really bad after I had quite a few (~10k) miles on it, then it went away. I won't be surprised if it starts to smell bad again soon, because it does seem like winter fuel additives cause the problem for me.

tony speed
01-12-2004, 09:04 AM
It should go away after a while. Mine had it for a good while. if not it may be similar to this problem:

ROTTEN EGG SMELL FROM CATALYTIC CONVERTER

The sulphur smell from the exhaust, is actually caused by running the engine/cat convertor slightly lean for long periods and then running under a rich condition (ie going up a hill under heavy load) This is when the sulphur smell (rotten egg) is produced.

Under relatively lean conditions, the sulphur found in gasoline is converted to sulphur trioxide, then during the rich running condition the sulfur trioxide is converted into hydrogen sulphide (rotten egg smell) within the catalytic converter.

Audi of America issued a service bulletin Group 24, #92-04 which detailed this problem. They list the cause as : the gasoline sulphur content and the characteristic of catalytic convertor to store sulphur compounds and release them during rich engine running conditions.

Switching gasoline brands may help. The Oxygen sensor may also need to be replaced to correct a fuel injection mixture problem.

l33t
01-12-2004, 10:08 AM
are you putting cheap 87 octane gas in your car? it you are thats why

esmith13
01-12-2004, 10:23 AM
I get that smell every time I romp on my ride too... But I know mine IS the clutch ;)

You can tell if it's the clutch by waiting for the smell, then turning on the heat in your car set to floor and DON'T turn on the recirculate button... Air for the heating system comes from near the engine and if it's a melted clutch the smell will get 10 times worse and flood into your car when the heat goes on... If it's the cat (which I had too when my EP was new) it won't get worse in the cabin with the heat on.

Eric

LACH
01-12-2004, 01:33 PM
i have the same problem with mine whenever i drive her hard the techs at honda said its a high performance car its natural to do that???? i use high octane fuels only try different gas stations in your area sunoco isnt too bad for me here in canada but shell is horrible!!!!

Dunrick
01-12-2004, 04:58 PM
already covered. It has to do w/ the octane your using....the lower

the more it smells like me after a burrito

try using premium

anjapower
01-12-2004, 06:14 PM
READ THE POST PEOPLE!!! I AM USING 93 OCTANE!!!!!!!

Thx.

k20whiteboi269
01-12-2004, 06:24 PM
im at about the same mileage, and i run on 93 octane. i get the smell too. im assuming its additives for winter fuel maybe. lol i just got new squash air freshner so i cant even really smell it as much.

aerial
01-12-2004, 07:00 PM
that smell comes from exhaust pipe it happen to mine for the first 5 or 6 k miles it is normal it willgo away anjapower park her n smell tail pipe n ull see or smell what imean

aerial
01-12-2004, 07:02 PM
forgat to say i use 93 amoco

Dunrick
01-13-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by anjapower
READ THE POST PEOPLE!!! I AM USING 93 OCTANE!!!!!!!

Thx.

THen your car is broken, it is going to detonate and you will die like in cacino, cept you don't have that metal plate under your seat hahahaha

I dunno man, just means the exhaust going through the cat is too hot I believe...Just get straight pipes