PDA

View Full Version : AEM SRI takes a big dive

the JigGa mAn
12-11-2003, 02:24 AM
i was just at the aem website and i compared dyno graphs of the aem cai and the aem sri...and ive been reading on the board that the sri is good and all this..but damn does it take a big dive in low end torque...compared to the cai...jus doin this research b/c im thinking of buying conrads (driftinsi) sri...hes offering $110 for it...just wondering if a sri would really make a big diff over stock

**yes i did a search...i know this has been covered before, but it wasnt much help to me**

silver
12-11-2003, 02:50 AM
sri=top end
cai=low end + denser air to lend more oxygen hence more power

it will improve your performance and give better gas mileage. the cai will give even more, it's up to you to compare the $/hp ratio.

HokieSi
12-11-2003, 06:16 AM
Yea if you want your car to be faster get it breathing better up top. If you can work out the big drop in torque at the end of the rpm range you will be making lots of hp up top.

STP03BlueSI
12-11-2003, 08:30 AM
So the SRI=Loses Torque, and the CAI= more HP but gains torque?

Do i have that correct.

I have a SRI, and it is noisy as all hell at 3500-and up, but quiet below.

the JigGa mAn
12-11-2003, 11:41 AM
so with a sri id have a gain up top compared to my stock airbox? or will doing the hondata airbox mod be compareable to a sri?

silver
12-11-2003, 10:40 PM
you have to look at the gains across the powerband as opposed to the peak numbers. for example, from 2000-6000 rpms you could lose hp and tq but then gain 10hp from 6000 6800, now if you are a great driver and can keep your driving and shifting in between those 800rpms, then this would be a great part to have, but probably not for most of us. look at where the power is made and lost from the dynos and form your opinions as to what it is that you're looking for.

to put it simply the sri will help your motor at higher rpms, while the cai will help at the lower rpms. this is not a technical definition but just a generalization. you guys should look into harmonic resonance for a better understanding of how intakes work. the length of the piping affects the resonance, much like how a flute is higher pitched than a clarinet, which is higher than a basoon, and so on.

Vivid-Cruz
12-12-2003, 12:03 AM
i have aem SRI and i did research before I purchased.. only place it loses torque is between 2000-3750.. everywhere else it gains torque and gains HP.. SRI peaks up high.. stock peaks down low..If your like me and live in a high rain, cold area.. SRI is the way to go.. definetly feel gain above 3500.. and below that i dont really care.. if i want to drive fast i dont see those rpms anyways.. goodluck

BluePearl03Si
12-12-2003, 12:18 AM
The insides of most intakes are pretty rough, with overspray from painting and other generally rough metal like sandpaper, and the aluminum has little dents and creases (At least mine came like that). And then it hits the intake manifold where it has to make an abrupt turn and split up. If harmonic resonance is such a big deal, it would work like crap unless you had a header tuned perfectly for it and a smooth as glass inside on the intake runner. And even the slightest dent would make it sound like crap, like my old Alto Sax.

The V-2 uses harmonic resonance as AEM claims, but it's also a short runner sucking in hot air, so I don't see it outperforming a CAI in real world conditions.

nozomi
12-12-2003, 06:21 AM
I was discussing the intake charateristic with my friend just a few days ago too. Now although we can suppose SRI gives more power at the top end for having shorter air travel inside the intake, why, in reality, did CAI give higher hp on the dyno anyways?

Please correct me if i am wrong, if CAI does outperform SRI on dyno in terms of peak hp, it means CAI > SRI even at high rev range. So what's the point of using SRI for better output then?

I am looking into getting an intake mod soon, there are 3 choices that i can make: air box mod, CAI, SRI.

And i am still not sure which one to choose for having a good high rev range output.

fsugatorbait
12-12-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by nozomi
I am looking into getting an intake mod soon, there are 3 choices that i can make: air box mod, CAI, SRI.

And i am still not sure which one to choose for having a good high rev range output.

Get a CAI, you wont be disappointed. Injen and AEM are both going to give you the same gains, so get the one that suits what you want the most.

!@#$%
12-13-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by the JigGa mAn
so with a sri id have a gain up top compared to my stock airbox? or will doing the hondata airbox mod be compareable to a sri?

If you get the aem sri the only thing you will notice is the sound.

If you put the stock airbox back on it will feel faster with the oem box.

The cai feels as fast as the oem box, but pulls alot better up top.

CAI and SRI should sound about the same.

silver
12-13-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by nozomi
I was discussing the intake charateristic with my friend just a few days ago too. Now although we can suppose SRI gives more power at the top end for having shorter air travel inside the intake, why, in reality, did CAI give higher hp on the dyno anyways?

Please correct me if i am wrong, if CAI does outperform SRI on dyno in terms of peak hp, it means CAI > SRI even at high rev range. So what's the point of using SRI for better output then?

well first off if aem were to use the same scale for their dynos, we would be able to diagnose the gains better, but since they don't it is hard to see the gains exactly to compare to each other. by using different scales they can make the graphs look different to give reason to price the cold air higher, makes the gains look even larger even thought he peak gain is no more than 1.5hp. also when you dyno a cai obviously the filter is not in the engine bay, so you'll make some extra gains from the denser air, which probably made up around 70-80% of those gains over the sri. so basically according to the aem dyno, there is not much of a power difference between the two. imo i'd just go for the cai unless there is a definite reason not to.

and what is the big obsession with sound? if you're looking for sound just get a cheapy one off of ebay, all models of intakes will have the same sound.

DavidT
12-14-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by !@#$%
If you get the aem sri the only thing you will notice is the sound.

If you put the stock airbox back on it will feel faster with the oem box.

Sooo...the AEM dyno chart of their SRI compared to the stock box is just a lie? False advertising? Incorrect dyno figures? Bad dyno? What about Injen's SRI dyno chart vs. stock? That a lie too? If you are correct, everyone is lie'n. We are being tricked by a bunch of liars. :mad:

silver
12-14-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by DavidT
Sooo...the AEM dyno chart of their SRI compared to the stock box is just a lie? False advertising? Incorrect dyno figures? Bad dyno? What about Injen's SRI dyno chart vs. stock? That a lie too? If you are correct, everyone is lie'n. We are being tricked by a bunch of liars. :mad:

actually your being convinced by a bunch of marketing people. ;)