PDA

View Full Version : I can't get comfortable in my new Si!

CleanBlackSi02
06-12-2002, 08:28 PM
Am I the only one that has trouble finding a comfortable driving position in the new Si? It seems like I'm either too far away from the shifter, or my legs are cramped when clutching, or I'm so upright I feel like I look like a 90 year old driving. Also, does anyone else notice a notable difference in clutch depression going into fourth gear? I seem to always be grinding or not hitting it. Clarify for me that I'm insane, or if I truly do have something here guys. Thanks!

SBC31
06-13-2002, 06:15 AM
No problem here, shifter position is the best I've ever had. (sounds like a Vertical Horizon song...lol!) As far as the pedals, well, my seat is as far back as it can go, i'm almost 5-11.

It did take me awhile to get use to driving the car, since the steering wheel was tilted all the way down, I never saw my tachometer, and I hit the rev limiter a few times in the first week or so.

The only complaint is that I can't see the tach (or even the turn signal blinkers) when I tilt the steering wheel all the way down. Besides that, this is on sweet comfortable car.

iR-VTEC2
06-13-2002, 04:05 PM
I have that same problem sorta. It's like...im comfy but not. The shifting and the pedal action is the bomb tho.

I guess i was so used to driving my 90 accord and a 99 accord that I got spoiled by their seats and ride.

02TafWhtSi
06-13-2002, 06:12 PM
At first the seating position felt perfect to me - good control of the clutch but I wasn't squshed against the steering wheel. At times though it seems awkward like i'm sitting too upright and higher than normal - probably just me. Either way the seats are AMAZING - so comfortable and supportive at the same time!:)

archer2332
06-13-2002, 08:30 PM
My si feels great. At first I thought I was upright or too close but now that I adjusted all that stuff (and make sure I dont move my seat any) I think its a very comfortable drive.

Satin Si
06-14-2002, 12:37 AM
My Si is great, shifting felt a weird in the beginning, but now it's awesome. No problem here.

SiCivic2k2
06-14-2002, 12:43 AM
When I first got the car I had problems getting comfortable. It always felt like I was too close or too far way from the clutch. Now, It's real comfortable until someone decides they want to move my seat around. Gosh I hate that! Has got to be the most annoying thing in the world. I can never get it back to where it feels right. :D

SBC31
06-14-2002, 06:57 AM
Hey SiCivic2k2,

Here's how you solve your problem with someone moving the seat; Don't let anyone sit in the driver's seat, nor don't let anyone else drive the car...:D

I guess I'm lucky that I simply put the seat back all the way.

One thing I do hate is how when you but the seat back down to let someone in the back, the seat then resets itself at like 90 degrees like a seat in church. Now that's annoying.

SiCivic2k2
06-14-2002, 09:31 AM
Well, I definately don't let anyone drive it, but I do let people sit in the back seat. Usually I'll make them get in on the passenger side. It has the "walk in" option. :) I had this one girl (a friend) jump in my car and lock the doors while it was running and move the seat to her comfort. She's about 4'5 (not really, but she's really short) and I'm about 6'1. I didn't think I was ever going to get it back to the right position.

Mulder
06-16-2002, 12:18 AM
I kinda have/ had the same problem, too close to clutch or too upright. I choose to be more upright and have a little more leg room. Although I never had any shifting problems, all my shifts are smooth.

If anyone here has driven a 911, you may agree it has a perfect seating position.

HondaMan
06-16-2002, 12:42 AM
The seats/shifter take a little getting used too, but once adjusted right it is sweet! As for shifting, I haven't had a Honda with a stick in few years so I was a little rusty. I got that licked now...right at 600 miles of practice. ;)

SpacemanSpiff
06-16-2002, 07:45 AM
The one thing that I wish Honda would add to it's cars is a telescoping steering wheel. I'm 6'4" and need the steering wheel to extend about 1-2 inches for the car to fit me perfectly. The steering wheel in my wife's VW Golf works great, every time I drive it I wish that Honda would adopt that design. Both my previous 2.2CL and the Si have had this problem.

CleanBlackSi02
06-16-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Mulder
I kinda have/ had the same problem, too close to clutch or too upright. I choose to be more upright and have a little more leg room. Although I never had any shifting problems, all my shifts are smooth.

If anyone here has driven a 911, you may agree it has a perfect seating position.

If only Honda had taken notes from Porsche when designing the Si...... ::dreams::

natesi
11-08-2002, 07:27 PM
I would like to be a little closer to the wheel, but if I move the seat forward the pedals are too close. If I adjust the seat back I feel like I'm eating the windshield.

I've never had this hard of time getting adjusted in a car. I still don't like it. If those cheap bastards would have given us a tilt wheel for the $19K they want for the car I'd be WAY better off.

natesi
11-08-2002, 07:31 PM
Woops; I just discovered how OLD this thread was. I must have clicked the "last" button instead of the "next page" button...

so sorry...

But anyway, I can't find a good seating position, so I guess it's still relevant.

myeverlovinsir
11-08-2002, 07:37 PM
Adapt, overcome, realize, or get the fk out! I have no quams with
the setup. And thoroughly enjoy it! Shame this is not for all. I am
6 ft and find myself comfortable. I know in my last 99 hatch I was
always adjusting to get my back upright and comfortable. Not here,
I like the support and reach. jmo

undeboost
11-08-2002, 07:39 PM
i was reading on my sticker something about memory seats whats that all about??

DynaSpeed
11-08-2002, 07:43 PM
Unde - don't get too caught up in the "memory seats"... It's just that the passenger seat will go back to the original spot on the rail... that's it... no more, no less. No seat back memory or anything.

myeverlovinsir
11-08-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by undeboost
i was reading on my sticker something about memory seats whats that all about??

Unfortunatly we in Canada do not have any upward adj. or memory
in our seats. Just the plain jane setup. Wish we had more adj.

IceD out N CALI
11-08-2002, 07:47 PM
one of the old school threads

Glix2
11-08-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by SBC31
No problem here, shifter position is the best I've ever had. (sounds like a Vertical Horizon song...lol!) As far as the pedals, well, my seat is as far back as it can go, i'm almost 5-11.

It did take me awhile to get use to driving the car, since the steering wheel was tilted all the way down, I never saw my tachometer, and I hit the rev limiter a few times in the first week or so.

The only complaint is that I can't see the tach (or even the turn signal blinkers) when I tilt the steering wheel all the way down. Besides that, this is on sweet comfortable car.

Canadian seats must not go back as far as ours. I'm 6'1" and if I move my seat all the way back I can't depress the clutch all the way.

SmoothOperator
11-08-2002, 07:59 PM
If those cheap bastards would have given us a tilt wheel for the $19K they want for the car I'd be WAY better off.
ummm dude. We DO have tilt steering. I'm only 5'7 and the car suits me just fine....very comfy.

natesi
11-08-2002, 09:26 PM
errrr.. I meant telescoping.

chakra71
11-08-2002, 10:26 PM
well funny that this thread comes up right now. i just got out of my car after a 12 hour drive from Tallahassee to Panama City, to Birmingham. all total i spent about 10 hours driving today and i found the perfect position. of course it'll be different tomorrow. no complaints other than sometimes i do feel like i'm sitting a little too high (more like a truck/van than a car) but it's worth it. btw, i swear i hit 37 mpg today. 65 mph, flat roads, cruise control, and a few good cds.

anyone installed a short shift package have any input, did that make a difference in reaching all the gears from a comfortable position?

aman
11-08-2002, 10:32 PM
I adjust my seat position every day, it seems. One notch forward, one notch backward, seat up a bit, or down a bit. I like sitting farther back cause I'm 5'10 and like to stretch out a bit. But then it's weird not pushing the clutch all the way in.
And if the seatback is too low, my back aches a bit. But if I sit too far forward, I feel like retard. I did have the perfect position a week ago... until I took it to the shop. Whoever worked on it adjusted to his favourite position and now it's gone forever.

BarracksSi
11-09-2002, 10:54 AM
Yeah, this is an "old" thread, but it's the first time I've seen it, and besides, seating is one of those things that always evolves.

I change my seat position a little bit every once in a while. It's not the seat's fault, it's just that my body's comfort range changes thanks to my daily activities. I'm 6'1" with roughly a 34" inseam. My steering wheel is all the way up, the seat is almost always slid all the way back, and the seatback is only a few notches away from fully upright. Served me extremely well on an 8-hour drive to Asheville, NC, a couple months ago, and I expect it'll be just as comfortable after 18+ hours to Nebraska in another month and a half.

To my surprise, my mom, 56 years old and amply built, absolutely loved the front passenger seat.

HK_EP3
11-09-2002, 12:17 PM
Im 16 and 5'8", everything feels perfect, until i need to shift to 5th, i have to sort of reach out to shift to 5th...

Spidey
11-09-2002, 01:28 PM
I'm pretty comfortable but I do find that it's hard to get a good balance. I get out of the car and look at my seat position and it looks so close to the steering wheel. I'm very short at 5'5" and the problem i have is the reach to the stereo.

DynaSpeed
11-10-2002, 06:03 PM
Canadian seats must not go back as far as ours. I'm 6'1" and if I move my seat all the way back I can't depress the clutch all the way. I was thinking the same thing when I read that Glix - If my seat is all the way back, I can barely reach the pedals :) ... and I'm 6'0"

atl-si
11-11-2002, 08:28 AM
The car fits me very well now but at first my groin was hurting from the seating postion. Whups!! Too much information. LOL!

ssvr6
11-11-2002, 08:40 AM
Only when I have to recline my seat back to let someone in or something do I have issues getting comfortable.

Otherwise, I'm fine.

Steve

66elwood99
11-11-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by SiCivic2k2
When I first got the car I had problems getting comfortable. It always felt like I was too close or too far way from the clutch. Now, It's real comfortable until someone decides they want to move my seat around. Gosh I hate that! Has got to be the most annoying thing in the world. I can never get it back to where it feels right. :D

Someone moves your seat around? you let others drive your baby???:p

At first I felt too close to the steering wheel, so that I could full depress the clutch, but now I'm very comfy and love driving my EP :D