PDA

View Full Version : Do EP's have "Black Boxes"?

Loudpedal
12-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Anybody know if the EP is equipped with a black box?

I've been hearing all the brou-ha-ha about GM vehicles being equipped with those infamous black boxes which record vehicle data. In the event of a collision, the data can be subpoenaed (in some jurisdictions) and used against the vehicle owner (speeding, no seatbelt, etc).

If it's got it, I'd like to disconnect it. I hate all that big brother crap and I know my car would hate to be an unwilling witness against me in court.

idrive
12-11-2003, 06:49 PM
uhhh im not sure?
but im pretty sure it does...
as i understand... its part of obdII and it records things like you said in few second intervals...
in other words... you cant just "disconnect" it
i hear yah on the info being used against us... but its more so that if we blow our engine... the dealer would know why and troubleshooting would be easier...

Brettnyt
12-11-2003, 06:56 PM
Yes, i believe that it only records back moments before a crash... So yes, in the event of a crash, it could be used against us, but if we just drive like friggin maniacs on an every day basis, it will not record all of that...

HokieSi
12-11-2003, 07:01 PM
Yea, but it loses everything once the battery is disconnected. In the way of temporary storage.

BarracksSi
12-11-2003, 07:28 PM
But, wouldn't you love to be able to tell a court, "I wasn't speeding, and I was wearing my seatbelt -- just look at the data from my car."

Such info can only be used against you if you were doing something WRONG. Otherwise, it could be used for you, and can help your case.

bao_pay
12-11-2003, 11:14 PM
This was in the news a while back when they were first introducing those black boxes... but they are not very accurate in test situations so wern't able to be used in court cases. Just what I remember but that was a while ago.

nozomi
12-12-2003, 06:03 AM
do you think the blackbox records the revving of the car? such as the max rpm reached?

so in case of the dealer trying to fuxk with us saying we raped the car hard so that's why it breaks down here and there, we can tell them to just check the blackbox?

btw, bao_pay you got a really good name there:cool:

bao_pay
12-12-2003, 06:12 AM
You prolly don't wanna piss the dealer off by punkin em to check the box... anyways they are just gonna turn around and say it recorded you going to redline anyways! (you have gone to redline at some point in time right?) ;) Actually the box only records info for a short time so it wouldn't prove anything.

Gotta think of some sick names when you're gaming online. If you see Bao Pay on battlenet or roaming the cs servers you know who it be!:cool:

G-J
12-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by bao_pay
Actually the box only records info for a short time so it wouldn't prove anything.

Eh... nope. I hit redline 2 months before I took my car into the dealership when my sparkplug went out. They still saw I redlined it and at first tried to blame my misfiring on over-rev'ing before they even looked at it. I could have resetted the ECU but I wanted to make sure they could see the codes that was making my car act up in case it was something terribly wrong.