PDA

View Full Version : HKS or Magnaflow?

phokingphosho
12-14-2003, 10:27 AM
I was wondering what exhaust you guys thought was better, HKS or Magnaflow?

dtexan
12-14-2003, 10:39 AM
I just got the Magnaflow for christmas and really like it. Sounds great and easy to install I think it just depends on what style you like you will be happy with either exhaust.

Brettnyt
12-14-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by dtexan
I just got the Magnaflow for christmas and really like it.

Woah... where the hell do you live? Its only the 14th here.... ;) Ive heard HKS and it sounds very nice, very deep and sporty... However, for the price, magnaflow is supposed to be great and supply the greatest gains...

dtexan
12-14-2003, 11:59 AM
celebtrated a little earlly since some of the family is going out of town so whe gave me the exhaust earlly :) its good to be me

digitldlnkwnt
12-14-2003, 12:02 PM
i have the hks hi power. I like the sound although it can be a bit loud at times which is why the included silencer is beautiful thing.
The gains are made up high and after 3rd gear it really shines.
i bought it for 550.
Fitment was great but you should use an extra hander or two since it will move quite a bit. Its heavier than the stock exhaust but the extra hangers control the movement.
im happy with it.

dtexan
12-14-2003, 12:35 PM
I'm in lewisville all the time if you want to hear the magnaflow

Peking
12-14-2003, 01:14 PM
HKS :)

BluePearl03Si
12-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Peking
HKS :)

200 bucks more for the sound.....?

While sacraficing performance and having an exhaust big enough to make a ricer piss his pants?

Well, if it's a statement that needs to be made for a Show Car, that's the exhaust for you. But if you want gains, classy sleeper looks, decent sound and low price, go Magnaflow

I know the Magnaflow doesn't sound "Great", it's a little raspy, but it's no ricer can either. ;)

digitldlnkwnt
12-15-2003, 08:23 PM
ummm please dont tell me you another one of those people that quibble over 1-2 hp because youve looked at every dyno chart on the planet.

many many exhaust systems are set up the same as the hks...60mm piping
to 100 mm inlet

magnaflow uses 2.25 piping whereas mine uses
60 millimeter = 2.3622047 inch [international, U.S.].

mostly all the same stuff. i paid a little more cuz it was impoted
magnaflow retails 4 468 and i got mine for 550.

unless your running a fujitsubo system which is just ultralight wieght for 800 bucks, most all exhausts are the same

what do you mean "its no ricer can"...it looks almost the same as mine.

follow
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/cat-backs/gifs/hondapic04.jpg

glw
12-15-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by digitldlnkwnt
follow
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/cat-backs/gifs/hondapic04.jpg that's not the picture of the exhaust for the ep... the ep's is dual tip...

Peking
12-15-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by BluePearl03Si
200 bucks more for the sound.....?
While sacraficing performance and having an exhaust big enough to make a ricer piss his pants?
Well, if it's a statement that needs to be made for a Show Car, that's the exhaust for you. But if you want gains, classy sleeper looks, decent sound and low price, go Magnaflow
I know the Magnaflow doesn't sound "Great", it's a little raspy, but it's no ricer can either. ;)

Ha, compared to other exhausts. The price is reasonable, I don't know how much you know. HKS has been involed since the beginning. Sacraficing performance, what the hell are you talking about. It is a exhaust, pretty much as long as it has straight enough bends. Doesn't weigh to much heavier than stock. Looks and sounds good, then that's it. Ricers piss in there pants for the Greddy Evo. Like you know the performance of every product on the market. I like the Magnaflow, and if you read any of the other hundred posts on exhausts. Everybody pretty much likes everything out there for us, so claiming that something is better than the other is stupid. Since everything is objective. It would seem that you really can't tell the difference from rice and nice buddy.

DarkSiRacer
12-15-2003, 09:51 PM
HKS... IT sounds REAL good and the gains can be felt... I go through 3rd and up faster than I did before. Maybe this HKS exhuast will go nice with an HKS turbo kit (whenever that comes out)

Blackapino85
12-15-2003, 10:37 PM
i've had both the hks and the magnaflow exhausts. the hks looked sick and it sounded deep. the magnaflow that i have now is equal to the hks but has a more stock look which is what i wanted. an exhaust is an exhaust. you won't get huge gains unless you have something to back it up under the hood. do yourself a favor, save a couple bucks and get the magnaflow. i got mine off ebay for $305. both look great and sound awesome so it's a matter of preference and how much your willing to spend.

Brettnyt
12-15-2003, 11:16 PM
Which have you found to be louder? HKS w/ silencer, or magnaflow...

dtexan
12-16-2003, 06:38 AM
There both great exhaust systems I think we can all agree on that it just depends on what style you prefer single tip or dual

BluePearl03Si
12-16-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Peking
Ha, compared to other exhausts. The price is reasonable, I don't know how much you know. HKS has been involed since the beginning. Sacraficing performance, what the hell are you talking about. It is a exhaust, pretty much as long as it has straight enough bends. Doesn't weigh to much heavier than stock. Looks and sounds good, then that's it. Ricers piss in there pants for the Greddy Evo. Like you know the performance of every product on the market. I like the Magnaflow, and if you read any of the other hundred posts on exhausts. Everybody pretty much likes everything out there for us, so claiming that something is better than the other is stupid. Since everything is objective. It would seem that you really can't tell the difference from rice and nice buddy.

I never said the HKS is rice or a poor performer. But lots of people have shitty exhausts that didn't go through the HKS's performance testing and design. But lots of people have ugly dual tips like the magnaflow too. It's a performance exhaust and it does deliver good performance. And yes the EVO is considered cool by ricers because so many companys make crappy exhausts that resembles it. I just think tha Magnaflow is a better value, alot of other people do too, But alot of people are willing to pay more for an HKS because they like it's looks and sound more and ther performance is about the same, there is nothing wrong with that either.

I guess I should of noted that the HKS is a great performer as well, my mistake.

Peking
12-16-2003, 10:23 AM
Naw, it's my fault. I assumed you were knocking on HKS, I do agree with you :)

03EP3Si
12-16-2003, 04:50 PM
I just have one word to say................Greddy. :D

Peking
12-16-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by 03EP3Si
I just have one word to say................Greddy. :D

What kind of intake, headers, exhaust do you have? I would assume Greddy exhaust.

03EP3Si
12-16-2003, 09:27 PM
I have aem cold air, DC sport header, and yes the greddy evo exhaust which i just messed up so i have to buy a new one

digitldlnkwnt
12-16-2003, 09:44 PM
my hks is just what i needed..granted i cant sqay i felt a downlow difference...but if i drag the car...i can chirp the wheels into third gear:D

Black 02 SI
12-16-2003, 10:11 PM
it's all a matter of what you like. performance is so close youw on't notice the difference. personally i like my magnaflow because it seems to tuck under the car a little better than the hks, others like the way the hks looks. i would only want the angled look on a sick ass twin turbo supra, but that's my opinion. either way both good exhausts, but magnaflow has my vote cause of it's price and the way it tucks under the car a little better.

just my $.02

Kirei
12-18-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by glw
that's not the picture of the exhaust for the ep... the ep's is dual tip...

not only that the exhaust itself might retail for 468 but can be purchased for 275 anywhere.

dtexan
12-18-2003, 08:49 AM
My girlfriend got me a magnaflow for christmas and was told that the ones on ebay for 275 were refurbished thats why they were so cheap I guess there just as good as new...

DarkSiRacer
12-18-2003, 01:43 PM
03EP3Si... How'd you mess the Greddy Evo up?