PDA

View Full Version : How good stock tires on auto-x???

jojo208
12-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Hey guys,

I have a question to those who have used stock tires on auto-x... how good are those michelin tires on auto-x? i know 1st race next year wont be til march or april in idaho but would like to know what to do with this stock tires? if it's good, i'd like to use them till it's out then get new azenis..... or sell these tires out for cheap and get azenis from now? do they wear faster if i use it everyday? i drive 20 miles 4 days a week.....

Would appreciate your help! Thanks and happy holiday!!!

mhx
12-14-2003, 10:54 PM
like they do on the road.. like shit

chunky
12-14-2003, 11:03 PM
stock tires suck for auto-x.

but since you're even asking this question, i'd suggest you keep them. You'll improve more as a driver with shitty tires than with sticky tires. The extra grip can hide driving mistakes that you'll make as a beginner.

once you've got a lot of auto-x seat time under your belt, I suggest getting new wheels/tires and going with 225/50/15 tires. it's the only way to go for the ep3.

jojo208
12-14-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by chunky
stock tires suck for auto-x.

but since you're even asking this question, i'd suggest you keep them. You'll improve more as a driver with shitty tires than with sticky tires. The extra grip can hide driving mistakes that you'll make as a beginner.

once you've got a lot of auto-x seat time under your belt, I suggest getting new wheels/tires and going with 225/50/15 tires. it's the only way to go for the ep3.

Hey thanks CHUNKY,

I've been to auto-x only twice in idaho and 1.5 years apart too... once with altima 02 when it 1st came out and this ep i just had. I was thinking the same thing too..... maybe i just burn this tires to learn more on the driving skills..... i wouldn't know what to do anymore with my ep if all mods are done to the car for auto-x.

So far i limit my self to progress springs and rear sway and that's it.

thanks for the good advice man................

chunky
12-15-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by jojo208
Hey thanks CHUNKY,

I've been to auto-x only twice in idaho and 1.5 years apart too... once with altima 02 when it 1st came out and this ep i just had. I was thinking the same thing too..... maybe i just burn this tires to learn more on the driving skills..... i wouldn't know what to do anymore with my ep if all mods are done to the car for auto-x.

So far i limit my self to progress springs and rear sway and that's it.

thanks for the good advice man................

no problem. I know that I have been able to improve more as a driver by taking things slow with the modifications. I auto-x'd the car stock for about 3-4 events. Then I went to wider tires, then I lowered the car, then I added the rear sway.

I had some auto-x experience prior, so I wasn't a total noob, but I do know that if I went straight to my current setup, i'd be really frustrated with the times i'd run b/c I wouldn't know how to extract maximum performance from my car.

Recently i went from 225/50/15 avs es100's to 225/50/15 bfg g-force KD. The difference in grip has made a huge difference in my times, but I still am learning how to take advantage of all the additional grip that the new tires offer.

it's all about baby steps and learning as much as you can at each stage.

K20A3Si
12-15-2003, 10:03 PM
i hate the stock tires...i admi ti put them to thier limit...like chucky said, when you learn with bad tires than you will be ready to drive with really good tires....good words of wisdom...thanks chunky.