PDA

View Full Version : Springs - Help Me Make a Decision!!

Slip_Angle
12-14-2003, 11:37 PM
I know there have been LOTS of posts around this topic but after reading them over and over I still can't decide between the Sportline and Progress springs.

Can you help?

I use my car as a daily driver
I autocross during the non-winter months
I want a good quality spring that doesn't make noise
I want my stock shocks to last atleast 1 year post spring install
I want a good price
I want the ride quality to stay relatively the same

I appreciate your help

chubbychu
12-14-2003, 11:43 PM
eibach sportlines- 200ish dollars (gooood)
progess- 150ish...but drop is lower

Slip_Angle
01-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Went with the Sportlines from ShowstoppersUSA! They should be here in the next couple days. Thanks Chuck!!

Peking
01-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by CDN-SiR-02
Went with the Sportlines from ShowstoppersUSA! They should be here in the next couple days. Thanks Chuck!!

Cool, you doing the install? Make sure you greese where the oem greese is. Also try to compress the springs as much as you can when re-tightening the bolts. This should help with the sound, oh and the rubber boots (located on the struts). Make sure to pull those down, and greese the top to help again with any sounds.

Slip_Angle
01-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Yup, I'm doing the install. I do have help though. An autocross friend of mine has installed Pro Kit's on his RSX and he is going to give me a hand. Not doing the install until the spring... There's a blizzard outside and it's cold for another 8-10 weeks!!

Thanks for the install tips peking! Couple of questions in relation to your tips.

What grease do you recommend?
What is the purpose of compressing the spring when tightening the bolts? I've read posts where others don't use a spring compressor.. Am I talking about the same thing?

Thanks again.

EP33
01-02-2004, 10:05 PM
I like mine!

Peking
01-02-2004, 10:29 PM
What grease do you recommend?
What is the purpose of compressing the spring when tightening the bolts? I've read posts where others don't use a spring compressor.. Am I talking about the same thing?
Thanks again.

No problem. Here is the greese, I got it from Wal-Mart...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/pacf34d535eb4615f30511191b3b8827f/faa7b0de.jpg

The compressing the spring as much as you can is a extra step to making sure everything is tight, and the spring won't have any space to move. There are some who didn't use the compressor, keep in mind only a few. I would not think this to be a good idea without some experience, also doesn't hurt to take extra steps. Best to take the time and do it right the first time, then finish and have to take everything off again to get something correct. If you don't have um, you can rent them from your local car parts store.

02SilverSiHB
01-02-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
eibach sportlines- 200ish dollars (gooood)
progess- 150ish...but drop is lower
took the words right outta my mouth...or keyboard :D

Slip_Angle
01-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Thanks everyone. Will lowering springs help wheel hop at all?

SiR_d1
01-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Tein S Tech. Best springs for your buck and the safest route to take.
$139 shipped

chunky
01-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks everyone. Will lowering springs help wheel hop at all?

get motor mount inserts to control wheel hop. springs will do almost nothing to combat wheel hop.

also, a spring compressor is not necessary. by the time you loosen the strut top nut, the springs have no tension in them at all.

Peking
01-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by SiR_d1
Tein S Tech. Best springs for your buck and the safest route to take.
$139 shipped

He already got the sportlines, unless you are just saying that for others.

SiR_d1
01-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Peking
He already got the sportlines, unless you are just saying that for others.

Sorry I meant for others:o

Literally the same drop as the sportlines except its lower in the front where its vice versa with the sportlines, and its cheaper.

I was considering the Sportlines but its an unequal drop where its lower in the rear. I still find it funny how certain people with the sortlines still don't see it especailly when its obvious to everyone else:D

SiR_d1
01-05-2004, 10:20 PM
hey where are you located in Canada?

BlackSi613nin
01-05-2004, 10:55 PM
progress is what im sportin, and i cant complain.. they ride is comparable to stock, (a TEENY bit rougher (but thats expected) and it handles much better then stock. also they are pretty inexpensive, i got mine for 140 shipped. :D

joHn

phatsi
01-06-2004, 08:31 PM
i dont know...i have had progress on my 02 si and now my 03 si and all they do is make crazy clunking over cracks and bumps...i have the factory coil dampners on and extra wrap but they are horrible... they are going in the garbage for some ground controls in spring...i installed them botha and progress on my friends 03 si and his are perfect....WTF!!!!!:mad:

02SilverSiHB
01-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by phatsi
i dont know...i have had progress on my 02 si and now my 03 si and all they do is make crazy clunking over cracks and bumps...i have the factory coil dampners on and extra wrap but they are horrible... they are going in the garbage for some ground controls in spring...i installed them botha and progress on my friends 03 si and his are perfect....WTF!!!!!:mad:
sounds like a bad install...try checking your bump stop/dust cover in the fronts...you might want to cut one of the ribbed parts off...it's at the top, there are two...

phatsi
01-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
sounds like a bad install...try checking your bump stop/dust cover in the fronts...you might want to cut one of the ribbed parts off...it's at the top, there are two...

i installed them the same all three times...i cut both front and rear bumps...lined it all up and double, triple checked it all...and the only si that sucks is mine...not my friends but mine...just my luck...they clunk in front and back just the same...i think im retarded, i love the drop and ride but the noise and clunking i hate...any other thoughts...anyone....anyone:( :(

Slip_Angle
01-06-2004, 09:44 PM
I'm located in Winnipeg, Canada...better known as Winterpeg. That must be why it's taking so long for my Sportlines to show up from ShowStoppersUSA :)

Chuck?

02SilverSiHB
01-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by phatsi
i installed them the same all three times...i cut both front and rear bumps...lined it all up and double, triple checked it all...and the only si that sucks is mine...not my friends but mine...just my luck...they clunk in front and back just the same...i think im retarded, i love the drop and ride but the noise and clunking i hate...any other thoughts...anyone....anyone:( :(
damn man, that does suck...so only a clunk sound and only when on bumps and uneven roads?

phatsi
01-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
damn man, that does suck...so only a clunk sound and only when on bumps and uneven roads?

yup...going down the freeway they are perfect...on ok roads fine, but bumps and potholes and bigger cracks and sudden dips....clunk clunk...its sweet, i hate it!!! :mad: :mad:

Slip_Angle
01-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Got my Sportlines today! Thanks Chuck/Showstoppers!! Now their sitting on a shelf until spring... sighh. :(