PDA

View Full Version : falken ze-502

sterlingSi
12-15-2003, 12:27 AM
ok, i'm getting tires for x-mas. so what do you all think i should get.

i was looking at the falken's in 225/50/15, would that fit. i want something that handles well in the rain and some snow/ice. also, i was thinking about going with either the 215 or 225 to get rid of some of the wheel gap that my car has. so any good suggestions for tires in that size range?

or what about the Yokohama Avid H4's are those good tires?

sterlingSi
12-15-2003, 06:07 PM
pleeeease . . . i need tires soon!

Mighty_Mouse
12-15-2003, 06:17 PM
The ZE-502 are terrible. Awful in the snow and very bad in the rain. Dry is average. Keep looking.

Running 225 wide tires on 6" wide rims isn't too smart. It will also do nothing for changing your wheel gap.

sterlingSi
12-15-2003, 07:16 PM
thanks for the info. i meant to put 205/(60 or 55)/15 with the Bridgestone Potenza RE950's. or should i just go ahead and get the OEM fitment of 195/60/15. I believe the RE950's or the Yokohama Avid H4/V4 would be my choices. Obviously though the Potenza's are the best choice from what i've read.

Mighty_Mouse
12-15-2003, 07:24 PM
Size depends on what you're looking for. The speedo in our cars is way off with the stock 195/60s (2-3mph off on the highway). Going with 205/55s would make it even worse. It'd probably read about 4mph high on the highway. 205/60s would make it read only 1mph high. In that size, I'd go with the AVS dB S2.

civic hatch boi
12-15-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
The ZE-502 are terrible. Awful in the snow and very bad in the rain. Dry is average. Keep looking.

Running 225 wide tires on 6" wide rims isn't too smart. It will also do nothing for changing your wheel gap.

the ziex are VERY Good int he rain.. dunno where u got ur info.

sterlingSi
12-15-2003, 09:32 PM
my only problem with the AVS DB S2 is that the only sizes in my range are 195/65/15 and 205/60/15
would the 205/60/15 be ok?

also, the at all the places i have read reviews at online the Potenza RE950 has recieved more positive reviews than the AVS DB S2.

i live in kentucky where the snow doesn't get as bad north of me but the roads do tend to be unkempt also i drive on many country roads in the rain.

so now i have narrowed it down to the RE950's, AVS DB S2's, and the AVID H4/V4's, but no one has really commented on the quality of the Avid H4/V4 line.

Mighty_Mouse
12-15-2003, 09:40 PM
Um, I used to own a set of ZE-502s. They are garbage. If you don't know any better, than I'm sure that they would seem okay. I've owned Advan Neovas, T1-S's, RE71s, ZE-502s, ECSTA Supra 712s, P7000 Summers, PZero Neros, etc.

The biggest problem with the RE950 is that it's old technology and H-rated. If you're not looking for a performance tire, why not get a set of Nokian WRs? They'll be much better in the rain and snow than any other tire mentioned.

mhx
12-15-2003, 10:04 PM
i would go with Potenza RE950 with UNI-T AQII
size: P205/60R15

sterlingSi
12-15-2003, 11:20 PM
ok you're right about the speed rating on the RE950's so i guess my best bets are the Yokohama AVS DB S2's or the AVID H4/V4's

Does anyone feel strongly either way on those?

Mighty_Mouse
12-15-2003, 11:28 PM
Definetely the AVS dB S2. Yokohama even rates it as a better tire. The AVID is a passenger car tire with a 500 treadwear rating. Yuck, IMHO.

THMotorsports
12-15-2003, 11:34 PM
All season tires are not that good. THey are dead average in all aspects. I would get a set for summer and winter. Grab the azenis for the summer and enjoy the hell out of them. For the winter, pickup some decent winter tire. You dont want to have some half ass tire and slide around in the winter.

Mighty_Mouse
12-15-2003, 11:44 PM
Not everyone lives where it snows (Chicago). I agree about two sets being better than one, but you've also got to get another set of wheels and tires. That's a sizeable amount of money.

sterlingSi
12-16-2003, 12:02 AM
haha . . . um yea . . . i'm 18 and only in a half-assed kind of way employed. plus i have other more pressing matters concerning my car that require money. so one set is all i can do for right now.

a little further down the road i am going to be looking at wheels though preferably 16's and then i will fetch my self a set of summer tires because rims will be gaurded by me with the utmost care. i'm broke as hell!

back to the subject i think i'll probably go with the Yokohama AVS DB S2's simply because they are in my price range, size (that i have chosen), and the reviews that i have gathered pass them off as more than decent tires.

if you all have any more good suggestions i'm up for them.

i live in a small town where the availability of these is going to be hard so it may be a week or so before i'll be able to find them at a shop close by.

p.s. i can't afford the tirerack.com shipping

THMotorsports
12-16-2003, 12:29 AM
Good point guys, not everyone lives in chicago and can afford two pairs of tires. Since you are going to go with wet dry, I would recomend Bridgestone Potenzas. I am a fan of the SO3 and SO2 pole positions, but am unsure of how well they handle in rain. They are not suitable for snow. I like Bridgstone products. If you are going to go into the rain, look for the uni-t certified tires. Believe you me bud, I am in the same situation you are. 18 and not to much cash, just pure Honda love.:D

KimchiBoy_TypeR
12-16-2003, 02:04 AM
Ive been riding on Nitto Neo-Gens (215)The past couple of months and I have no complaint. I havnt really tried anything else on my car exept for these and the stockies. But as far as wet road and rain performance Id have to say they have impressed me. The Neo-Gen is a good all around all weather tire with good performance and value. The tread is very similar to the Parada Spec II's and are a
AA rated tire. Just another option but well worth looking into for the value, also good with negative camber. Damn I wish I could afford to try every tire out there to find the best, but If I could I obviously wouldnt be driving an EP;) .Any way man tires are disposable and you should keep on trying somthing new until you find what you like.

go to http://www.neogentire.com/ for more info on the Neo-Gen

Mighty_Mouse
12-16-2003, 07:34 AM
NeoGens don't come in the correct size.

THMotorsports
12-16-2003, 09:43 AM
Well, to put my $.02 in again-- I would like to know the purpose of the tires. I understand they are to make your car ride, but how would you like to. Are they going to be bought for road racing, auto x, street driving (hard or moderate), or are you looking to just get around safley. Do you need them to stick or can they have average grip? How long should they last? See, you need to ask yourself questions like these before you buy. On my civ, I had Nankangs I bought really cheap. I was thrilled about the price but hated the performance. I realized I like to drive hard on street and sometimes auto x. Those were not suitable. I then got the azenis and was amazed, but those wore out really fast, so I decided to get Bridgestone Potenza s-02's which I loved. Pick whatever suits you, but remember - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Mighty_Mouse
12-16-2003, 10:01 AM
RTFT

sterlingSi
12-16-2003, 04:16 PM
well, i considered and mulled this over a lot . . . lol . . . and i went to every tire store in the small town where i live and none of my top choices are available. so i am going with a tire that i had originally not even considered and a shop that i have used before is giving me free shipping for the special order and they are using this special kind of balancing that uses pressure to align the tires like it is riding on the road and it helps with the best placement of each tire. i've forgotten what it is called. anyways . . .

the tires i'm going with are the Toyo Proxes TPT series tires in 205/60/15. i have read some good reviews on them. hopefully, since they are more expensive, i will like them. thank you all for your input.

BTW i do mainly street driving, but the country roads in kentucky are especially fun to drive hard on, which i do often. also, the tread wear is important to me, but i do want really sticky tires in the rain and in the dry conditions. snow isn't too important, but needed for small amounts of snow driving and slushy conditions, considering that i am scared of driving of the snow since i wrecked my car last winter. so all in all i believe the Proxes TPT's are the right choice for me.

thanks again for all the insight into this subject.

once i've put 2,000 miles on these tires i'll write a review or maybe i'll write an initial review and then do one a few miles down the road.

sterlingSi
12-16-2003, 04:19 PM
oh the Toyo's also come with a 60,000 mile warranty. so that's a plus!

Mighty_Mouse
12-16-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by sterlingSi
oh the Toyo's also come with a 60,000 mile warranty. so that's a plus!

Not.

sterlingSi
12-16-2003, 05:07 PM
???
From what i was told they do.

http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_lines/conven_as/tpt.html

Mighty_Mouse
12-16-2003, 06:26 PM
No, it's not a plus. If you just want cheap all-season tires, why don't you just buy some? For performance, you want the lowest treadwear rating and the lowest treadwear guarantee. All-seasons are already at a disadvantage in the wet and dry compared to summer tires.

sterlingSi
12-16-2003, 07:48 PM
i'm afraid that point has already been stated. i wanted truly good tires i would just buy winter and summer tires. again there is this dilemna that i run into . . . money is an issue for me.

in conclusion to this thread and the repetition of what i am going to get . . . the final decision is . . .

Toyo Proxes TPT 205/60R15

there you go would a mod please close this thread.

this is why i barely post.

there is a lot of repetition of posters including me.

Mighty_Mouse
12-16-2003, 08:53 PM
You can lead a horse to water...