PDA

View Full Version : Accident Report

mxp
12-15-2003, 10:12 AM
hello guys

well as this day gets darker for me i hope that this will bring light to the situation.

sunday morning i was making a right hand turn onto a snow covered area and as i was making a turn the guy coming from ahead decided to make a left turn in the same place and did not wait for me to finish my turn and as a result he was a foot away from hitting me, when i saw him i hit the gas( like a fool ) and the car went into a slide and over the median which is almost a foot in height( i missed 2 poles along the way ). so with this said and done my left front wheel sits at a 10 degree incline ( \ vs / ). i took it to honda this morning and they just called me saying that

i need:
-Knuckle Hub & Bearings
-Lower control arm
-Alignment
with a nice total cost of $1179 plus tax CAD

this day is just getting worse and worse as i realize that my visa is maxed out and that i may not have enough cash to put gas in the car when i get it back from honda.

-Dan (mxp)

oogy-boogy
12-15-2003, 10:16 AM
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. :(

Couple Q's for you:
1-Do you have full coverage on the car?
2-If so, how much is your deductable?

mxp
12-15-2003, 10:45 AM
yea i do have full coverage but with our family history in driving if i claim it the monthly will increase

mrfixit687
12-15-2003, 11:14 AM
dude if u have full coverage use it, if u dont use it then mite as well just get liability

oogy-boogy
12-15-2003, 11:18 AM
Not necessarily.....There are ways out.

I actually had the same situation occur last weekend. You can make a claim through your insurance and you will be surcharged. The way around it is that you appeal the surcharge as being weather related/snow. Get a copy of a few stories on the weather in the local paper and whatever you can find on that day stating the terrible road conditions. The appeal actually takes ~ a year to a year and a half to get an appeal hearing date. You will then basically go to the hearing and present your information. It's pretty unformal. They will then make a decision and mail it to you. If you win, it's retroactive and you get either all of the $$ back (If you've paid in full) or they put it towards your policy. Your surcharge will also disappear from the policy. I'm from MA and my Mom's been doing automotive insurance for ~20 years. My girlfriend, GF's Dad and grandfather have done it with a 100% sucess rate. My girlfriend and her Dad's claims involved snow and hitting other cars. My Granfathers claim was actually rear ending someone in the rain. After briefly speaking with my Mom a few minutes ago she stated that she can't remember any of her customers who appealed a snow related incident and didn't win. I'm in the same boat as you as I caused quite a bit of damage to my rental last weekend (slid into a curb in the snow).

Let me know if you need any more help.
Good luck and hope this helps!:D

blacksihatch
12-15-2003, 01:44 PM
It will be cheaper in the long run to pay the $1100 then file a claim.

mxp
12-16-2003, 08:29 PM
hello

well here is an update

the car is fixed but i am pissed at the dealer,

they replaced parts which did not need to be replaced, i have all of the broken parts in my garage and 3/4 are in perfect condition the only thing that needed to be replaced was the lower control arm and a linkage bar, but they replaced my whole knuckle hub and bearing and the hub assembly.... why??? i have no clue they said it was recomended ..

any ideas???

jandetuning
12-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by mxp
hello

well here is an update

the car is fixed but i am pissed at the dealer,

they replaced parts which did not need to be replaced, i have all of the broken parts in my garage and 3/4 are in perfect condition the only thing that needed to be replaced was the lower control arm and a linkage bar, but they replaced my whole knuckle hub and bearing and the hub assembly.... why??? i have no clue they said it was recomended ..

any ideas???

They may or may not have visible damage. The dealer is covering their ass. You probably could have gotten away with just replacing the bearing in the hub assembly, but if I was doing the work, you would be signing a release of liability incase the hub knuckle assembly failed later. It may have cost more, but you are guaranteed the parts are good.

mxp
12-17-2003, 09:51 AM
maybe i guess you are right

however another thing that is upseting me, before they took out the knuckle hub it was dent free

after they removed it
it was full of hammer dents and tehy said thats why i had to replace it

jandetuning
12-17-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by mxp
maybe i guess you are right

however another thing that is upseting me, before they took out the knuckle hub it was dent free

after they removed it
it was full of hammer dents and tehy said thats why i had to replace it

Another sad case of a dealer that hires :m: to work in the service department.