PDA

View Full Version : high pitch squeal or whistle when launching

red-sir
12-15-2003, 05:58 PM
Hi guys, I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this problem, with my ep, almost everytime now when I launch from 1st gear at a stop, right when I release the clutch and give it gas, somewhere from the front of the car makes this high whistle sound, or squeal, or "shreaking" sound, it happends also when I launch in reverse from a stopping position, and sometimes in 2nd gear too. It's louder if I'm on a hill climb, and if I can hold the clutch right at that point, I can drag the noise longer, it goes away after the clutch is fully disengaged and no sound when the car is cruising...

I took it to the dealership many times and they just did some greasing on the engine mount, or check for air leaks from my air box,..nothing faulty was found, so the problem was narrowed down to the clutch itself, but they just don't want to replace it...after a few more visit to the shop, they told me this:

The sir shares the same clutch as the s2000 and the last year of the Prelude, and this noise you have from slipping the clutch is normal, it's a "CHARACTORISTIC" of the clutch itself, they won't do a thing about it....I am outraged!! This is BS!! what is a charactoristic ??? it's faulty and I should get a new one under warranty!!! am I the only one??:mad:

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
12-15-2003, 06:43 PM
I dunno...if it's making the noise with the clutch NOT engaged...maybe a throwout bearing?
Your description is worded a bit strange so I dunno...
And why would you "launch in reverse"?

Brettnyt
12-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
And why would you "launch in reverse"?

I was wondering the exact same thing... The way it sounds like hees drivin his car, hees prolly just spinnin his tires... ;) When your car makes the squealy noise, does it look something like this? :)

02civicSI
12-15-2003, 07:27 PM
lol

VIZHUNZ02SI
12-15-2003, 07:29 PM
i had that problem
get a new clutch kit
i got a stage 3 from show stoppers for 400. shipped

mrfixit687
12-15-2003, 09:07 PM
i wonder if act has a clutch application for our cars yet

VIZHUNZ02SI
12-15-2003, 10:32 PM
they do

downhil
12-15-2003, 10:35 PM
that whistle is the turbo, or its your muffler bearing going out.

have you replaced your stock header? maybe a small exhaust leak? id double check the airbox too.

mrfixit687
12-15-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by downhil

have you replaced your stock header? maybe a small exhaust leak? id double check the airbox too.

ur avatar is creepy :(

ep88
12-16-2003, 12:05 AM
my car does that too :o
i always hear this whistling sound when i'm going to 1st gear.

fsugatorbait
12-16-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by downhil

Whats a muffler bearing? :banana: :confused: :banana:

red-sir
12-16-2003, 09:53 PM
sorry if my wording sounded weird, what I want to say is that when my car go from a stopping position,going foward in 1st gear, or back up in reverse, the car makes a sometimes pretty loud shearking sound(especially when I'm climbing a hill) some may say it sounds like a whistle, it's basically like this.."sheereeennn", right when I start to release the clutch and the car starts to move. It sounds something metalic rubbing.

To the guy that had this same problem, what was the mileage on your car when this problem started? did you bring it to the dealer?

and is it true that our clutch is the same one that s2000 and preludes use?

Thank you for your time

red-sir
12-16-2003, 09:58 PM
maybe you guys are just joking, but no...I'm not spinning my tires..the sound comes when the car starts to roll...

Brettnyt
12-16-2003, 10:00 PM
Hmmm... either someone installed a whistle tip on your car without you knowing..... Is it like an alarm clock? it go woo woo? They are spose to be up cookin brehfas or somethin....

Yeah, could be your clutch... I heard an old benze do it through an intersection today... Take it into the dealership and they should be able to help you out just fine...

downhil
12-17-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
Whats a muffler bearing? :banana: :confused: :banana:

its down by the blinker fluid overflow reservoir. in the back of the hatch by the passenger side tailight...under that little cover to the bulbs.

bobdobbs
12-17-2003, 10:29 PM
Loose accessory belt, maybe?

SiRman
12-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Just take it to the dealer, the longer you drive it like that the more
damage you could be doing.