PDA

View Full Version : My new audio system's spec! Rate it!

Ritteri
09-18-2002, 05:12 PM
Well, I had a budget for my new audio system for under $1000 originally. Then all you young ones started to make me start to drool all over again. Right after I bought my SI, I felt 10 years younger(Im 29 now)and the audio bug hit me hard, since I am going to wait a year before doing any performance mods to my car I decided the first and best thing to upgrade was the audio system(girlfriend comes next ;P).

I have already bought the following components based on past IASCA SQ trophies I have won plus the obvious sound quality they bring to my own ears. The system will be a basic CD player capable of playing MP3 CD's, Preout only in a true 3 way system(1 set of tweeters,a pair of 6.5 midbass drivers, 1 single 12" sub)with no rear speakers. I dont do rear speakers because I believe in the old school philosophy of you face the concert when you listen to it. The system will be fully active in nature(no passive crossovers of any sort)and will use the decks 3 way feature built in(the deck has 3 sets of outputs, which can be used front/rear/sub or tweeters,midrange,bass). I will be using a single 5 channel amplifier to simplify installation and try and keep within my way overblown budget. The amp is rated at 50x4 and 200x1 all at 4 ohms nominal for a true 400 watt rms setup. Nothing rediculously loud, but the volume is still there. I will be running the 1st 2 channels to the tweeters, the 2nd set to the midbass drivers, and the final channel to the sub. There will be an equal amount of power going to the front components and rear sub for proper balance. I will be using the deck's fully adjustable internal crossover for all the speakers and will set the xover slope to 24db/per octave(the deck has an infinate frequency adjustable crossover with 4 different slopes 6,12,18,24 and can be run high,band or low pass for each channel set)this way bypassing the components passive crossover improving transcient response and phase shift anomolies. The deck also has time correction for all speakers to dial in center stage imaging and this also will be fully utilized. The charging system for the car will remain stock, only an Alumapro 20 farad CAP bank will be used for both the amp and a half farad for the deck itself.

Anyway the items I have purchased thus far goes as follows:

Deck: Alpine CDA 7998
SPeakers: Soundstream EXACT 6.3 components
Sub: Soundstream EXACT 12 4 ohm
charging: Alumapro C.A.P., generic .5 farad cap for deck
Amp: PPI PCX 5800 5 channel
Interconnects: Monster cable Micro XLN Pro's 3 2 channel 3 meter length.
Power distro: No clue yet
Sound deadening: Dynamat extreme,Vblok wave guides for midbass drivers.

I will be keeping the spare tire still and will be fully acessable via a stealth instal. Amp,sub and CAP will be installed in the "trunk" area using less than 3 feet total cubed. Install will be made to replicate a factory installed option. Tell me what ya think so far?!?!:D

02blksi
09-18-2002, 05:21 PM
"I myself have decided to wait until next summer before I make ANY mods to my car. There will be alot more data out by this time next year, and my sound system will be fully broken in by then. I dont see the point in wasting hundreds or thousands of dollars on mods for MINIMAL if any decibel gains.

Instead, Im doing the IMPORTANT modification to the car. The engine! Stripping out the garbage factory setups and going a nice high end turbo system is the best investment that can be made presently on the car."

ROFLMAO---:) ---- sound familiar? --joe

Ritteri
09-18-2002, 07:33 PM
Ill be waiting for a supercharger myself. Turbos never impressed me, especially on Honda products. Their engines are so much better suited for superchargers.

IceD out N CALI
09-18-2002, 10:50 PM
thats one hell of an audio setup. how much is that gonna weigh down your car?

Ritteri
09-19-2002, 07:59 AM
Not much at all, the only thing with any weight will be the single 12 sub enclosure which is only a cubic foot. The amprack maybe too, but its very small and compact.

02blksi
09-20-2002, 04:44 PM
"Turbos never impressed me, especially on Honda products. Their engines are so much better suited for superchargers."

LMAO! you know nothing. and have fun with your mobile audio store. :rolleyes: :D

grooveline
09-20-2002, 06:10 PM
Did ya'll read that little caption on Honda's new Jet ski? It's got a 2.0 turbocharged engine, putting out............. 160hp!