PDA

View Full Version : Got rear ended

BlackNRedSi
12-16-2003, 08:33 AM
Yo all,

The other night 2 chicks (they were cuties) rear ended my EP...Well they gave me their insurance stuff, and the one girls dad is going to be paying me out of pocket to replace the bumper...The bumper has 2 5x5inch marks on it...it looks like the paint from her car...any who, the person is paying and all for it, but what i wanted to know is...

does any1 know if there is a product that can compound out foreign paint? or is there anyway i can get it off?

i brought the car for an estimate to redo the bumper, its 450 dollars...

eric

ps. there is no cracks in the bumper

Btrthnezr3
12-16-2003, 08:38 AM
This might not help...but there is this stuff used by a detail shop near my house (and apparently by many)...it's pink and comes in a large squeeze bottle. It doesn't really have much of a label on it...heh...I don't really know how to explain it...but if I were you, I'd go to a really nice detail shop and ask em what they use to get out foreign paint/paint scrapes...I've used this stuff before, works freaking wonders. Sorry about your accident...hope everything works out...hope you can find what you are looking for. Sorry I couldn't help you more!! :(

PS: You thinking about fixing the bumper and pocketing the money? ;)

BlackNRedSi
12-16-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Btrthnezr3

PS: You thinking about fixing the bumper and pocketing the money? ;)

If i can yeah, i mean its nothing against the guy/girl but hey, my car didnt have this problem before she hit me right?! :)

The main reason why im thinking of keepin the money is cause:

I went to the detailing shop to get an estimate...the owner said 279 to repaint it, and he insisted it needed to be painted...so i trusted him, i go into the office, he says, would you like your car waxed too? im like 'huh?' he bumped up his estimate to 450 dollars...

so yeah thats kinda mean to do, but that extra money will go to rental car if i need one when i get the bumper fixed....but i doubt ill get it done by that guys place...

why you ask? because if he could lie just like that to the person that hit my car, i damn well know, hes prolly just going to detail out my bumper (cost to him about 10 dollars) and pocket the other 269 thats why he prolly wants me to get the car detailed too...so when/if they can get the marks out from detailing it, make it look all shiny, i wont be able to tell that he NEVER replaced the bumper...

smart guy, but stupid too....like he actually thought i was gonna buy that crap!

thanks for the heads up, ill keep a look out for that stuff...let me know what u think about what the guy told be for an estimate....

i do know if i get a whole new bumper+install+paint, its going to be well over 450 dollars, so i am saving this guy some money anyways

Eric

Btrthnezr3
12-16-2003, 09:02 AM
Hey man, that guy is way shady...I wouldn't go back there...EVER! Just check around, I mean if it's surface enough to be buffed/dissolved off then you can get that done for under 50 bucks...I mean, I can't see it but you know what I'm saying. You should be able to tell how significant the damage is. I'd go to a few independent places and just say you noticed it the other day, that someone must have backed into you and just say you wanna know how much to make it look better. I personally have been rear ended before but it wasn't just a bump, it was a complete freaking disaster...Guy had no insurance, no license, no english...he hit me so hard that I hit the person in front of me and they hit they person in front of them...it sucked big time so I know what you are going through, but I digress...Just check around...and in my personal experience, I've found that alot of the detail shops that look ghetto are usually good down home guys or guys that know nothing but detailing/body repair that will be happy to let you watch and teach you what they are using and why it works...Maybe take a big, mean looking friend along with you?! haha...good luck!! Let us know how it turns out!

mhx
12-16-2003, 10:16 AM
show us a pic.. i think u should just take the money and buy a mod.. fk the bumper..
if its not that bad ya know?

davidc81
12-18-2003, 10:25 AM
i got side swiped earlier by a uhaul. it cracked my rear tail light and scratched the driver's side rear bumper and a bit of the rear quarter panel. i would have suggested that you take it to the honda dealership and see what they say. their estimate will be high, but you will have a good figure to give the dad and then get your car fixed somewhere else, where it'll be cheaper! honda gave me an estimate for $1050,which uhaul insurance cut me a check for. i got it fixed elsewhere for $650. what a deal! just shop around.;)

BlackNRedSi
12-18-2003, 10:58 AM
i sent the estimate to him on monday, he got it tuesday...he hasnt gotten back to me yet, how much longer should i give him till i call back or call his insurance company?

i dont want to get screwd here ya heard?! :)

eric

AkronSi
12-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
does any1 know if there is a product that can compound out foreign paint? or is there anyway i can get it off?

I'd try to use some clay first to see if that would remove any of the other paint that's just on the surface.

Then try rubbing it out. You might need a couple different grades. One to remove the imperfections and then another to restore the surface gloss.

If there are any automotive refinishing places around you, check them out (like Sherwin Williams Auto finish stores or Finishmasters). Meguair's makes quite a range of stuff. Also look for 3M or Menzerna.

Also, check online at these places:
proper auto care (http://www.properautocare.com)
premium auto care (http://www.premiumautocare.com)
auto geek (http://www.autogeek.net)
autopia carcare (http://www.autopia-carcare.com)
top of the line (http://www.topoftheline.com)

You might want to PM Team. I think he works for a bodyshop.