PDA

View Full Version : Worth it to Mod my Si?

02TafWhtSi
06-29-2002, 07:22 PM
OK, here's my dilemma...
First off, I love my new Si. Easily the nicest car I've ever owned. However, I've been reading up on the RSX Type S and even took a test drive two days ago. Needless to say I flipped over it. Amazing interior niceties and the second best seats next to the Si. The engine felt ALOT stronger next to my Si and that Desert silver color...Oooh. Six speed trans. shifted really smoothly and short. The handling was noticeably crisper and sharper than the Si. My question is this - save my $ and eventually trade up for the Type S or keep the Si and put alot of hard work and $ into it? I need alot of input from you guys - I am completely open minded.

Awd Rsx Killer
06-29-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi
OK, here's my dilemma...
First off, I love my new Si. Easily the nicest car I've ever owned. However, I've been reading up on the RSX Type S and even took a test drive two days ago. Needless to say I flipped over it. Amazing interior niceties and the second best seats next to the Si. The engine felt ALOT stronger next to my Si and that Desert silver color...Oooh. Six speed trans. shifted really smoothly and short. The handling was noticeably crisper and sharper than the Si. My question is this - save my $ and eventually trade up for the Type S or keep the Si and put alot of hard work and $ into it? I need alot of input from you guys - I am completely open minded.
How long would it take you to save enough $$ to trade up into the type S? Also, how much $ are you willing to put into the si. Are you one day thinking about putting a turbo on the si? If so the lower compression on the si will help you out. As far as the handling goes, slap on some shocks, springs and sway bars and some new rubber and there you go. Hey don't get me wrong the type s is a great car (don't let my name fool you) but is it that far away from you car after you put some mods into it? That is up to you to decide.

DJQuikFingaz
06-30-2002, 09:46 AM
If you make enough money and are sure you can afford both of em, I say go ahead and mod it up. Then work your ass off for the type s.

DownTheHatch
06-30-2002, 10:48 AM
You're going to lose alot of money switching cars. If you don't like your Si, then go with the Acura.

Awd Rsx Killer
06-30-2002, 11:22 AM
Thats also a good point, you will be way upside down on the trade in, also you said it is the nicest car you have ever owned so you not liking it isn't even a factor.

02TafWhtSi
06-30-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Awd Rsx Killer

How long would it take you to save enough $$ to trade up into the type S? Also, how much $ are you willing to put into the si. Are you one day thinking about putting a turbo on the si? If so the lower compression on the si will help you out. As far as the handling goes, slap on some shocks, springs and sway bars and some new rubber and there you go. Hey don't get me wrong the type s is a great car (don't let my name fool you) but is it that far away from you car after you put some mods into it? That is up to you to decide.

I'll probably have enough to buy my car out of the finance in a little over a year. I wouldn't do anything until that point though as far as buying (financing) something else. I wouldn't go crazy with my Si if I decided to keep it. A rough estimate is maybe $2500 to $3000 in various mods but nothing in the vein of a turbo or supercharger - I'm not that rich!:) The suspension would be first followed by some simple bolt-ons (I/E). The thing is though - the Type S already has the power and handling I want right from the factory - I would most likely just leave it stock! I just wanted to know if the Type S was that much better in your guys opinion:confused:

Awd Rsx Killer
06-30-2002, 02:29 PM

I'll probably have enough to buy my car out of the finance in a little over a year. I wouldn't do anything until that point though as far as buying (financing) something else. I wouldn't go crazy with my Si if I decided to keep it. A rough estimate is maybe $2500 to $3000 in various mods but nothing in the vein of a turbo or supercharger - I'm not that rich!:) The suspension would be first followed by some simple bolt-ons (I/E). The thing is though - the Type S already has the power and handling I want right from the factory - I would most likely just leave it stock! I just wanted to know if the Type S was that much better in your guys opinion:confused: I say no (it is better but not that much imho) but that can be debated till the cows come home. As far as leaving your type s stock if you get it good luck, most everyone feels the need to mod. ;)

Mulder
06-30-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Awd Rsx Killer
I say no (it is better but not that much imho) but that can be debated till the cows come home.

I pretty much agree, better but not that much better. I also looked at the type S but decided on my Si. A few mods really makes the difference.

BEEF it's whats for dinner... now that's why the cows don't come home.

02TafWhtSi
06-30-2002, 06:49 PM
ok then, here's a related question: Is the RSX Type S worth the alomst $24k sticker price (which the Acura dealer by me won't budge on!)? I mean, I know it has leather and a 6 CD changer and all but thats almost as much as a WRX! Is the extra power and handling capabilities worth $4.5k over the Si?

todaCspec
07-01-2002, 07:31 AM
ok then, here's a related question: Is the RSX Type S worth the alomst $24k sticker price (which the Acura dealer by me won't budge on!)? I mean, I know it has leather and a 6 CD changer and all but thats almost as much as a WRX! Is the extra power and handling capabilities worth $4.5k over the Si?

no it's not worth the $4.5 over the SI. if you're willing to pay that extra $4.5,get a WRX. besides the dealer will rape you on trade-in. do you want to sell your SI? if so let me know,my cousin might be interested.:D

IceD out N CALI
07-01-2002, 08:40 AM
yeah the difference bettween an si and a type s is not that great. RSX's have a knack for looking good next to the civics because they have a little extra power but its not worth it, u'll get used to the extra power and want more. If u want more power and like a coupe get the CL type S that puppy is a V-6 6 speed 0-60 in bout 6.2 seconds. THeWRX is faster but looks like a hyndai

DynaSpeed
07-01-2002, 08:49 AM
[i] If u want more power and like a coupe get the CL type S that puppy is a V-6 6 speed 0-60 in bout 6.2 seconds. THeWRX is faster but looks like a hyndai [/B]

Well said... I second that.

Awd Rsx Killer
07-01-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
THeWRX is faster but looks like a hyndai

Na, from the front we look like the neons big brother. :D