PDA

View Full Version : Advantage of front clip compared to motor

66elwood99
12-16-2003, 11:50 AM
While searching for a type R-K20a, I came across someone who has a front clip. I also found people with just the motor/tranny/ECU.
What advantage would it be to purchase the whole front clip instead of just the Motor/tranny/ecu.
After comparing cost for turbo and swapping. I'm starting to think it would be best to do a swap. Then I still have an engine and tranny to sell to compensate for the extra costs up front. Also an extra gear! :D

mrfixit687
12-16-2003, 12:00 PM
if you get the front clip it comes with all the stuff you posibly need, and you can see where everything goes and whatnot, the badthing is after you're done you are gonna have to get rid of the front clip, it might be hard

sniperSI
12-16-2003, 12:14 PM
What is a front clip?

pedzola
12-16-2003, 12:18 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a front clip is the entire front of a car from the firewall forward (like where the windshield is).

nyxie
12-16-2003, 12:22 PM
yeah the front clip should come with the dash, gauges, what not plus the whole engine and everything that surrounds it. no bumbers and headlights though most likely. :(

edit: corrected spelling of "bumbers" :D

fsugatorbait
12-16-2003, 12:53 PM
Exactly, they basically cut the front of the car off, crate it and send it to you. Saves on labor for removal of the engine plus you get "all" the parts that you could ever want to do the swap. IMO the best way to go if its available to you. I would imagagine that a junk yard would take the left over frame and parts off your hands after your done with them.

jandetuning
12-17-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
I would imagagine that a junk yard would take the left over frame and parts off your hands after your done with them.

None that I know of will. A scrap yard will take the steel. If you don't have a way of taking the leftovers to the scrapyard, a sawzall and a dumpster will take care of it.