PDA

View Full Version : Brake Rotors

stimpGSX
12-16-2003, 11:53 AM
what up,
I didnt know were to post this but does anyone know of any brake rotors or caliper kit for our ep? Im actually looking for the rotors only but if I have to ill get the whole brake kit.

Luis

mrfixit687
12-16-2003, 11:58 AM
replacement rotors? brembos and powerslot have replacement rotors for our stockies, if you want upgraded brake kit search for willwood, they made one for our car

Btrthnezr3
12-16-2003, 12:05 PM
As for replacements, like Mrfixit suggested, Brembo Rotors are nice...but hmm...I think I read somewhere on this board that they rust/corrode like a "mofo" ...anybody wanna correct me on this one? Cuz I'm not sure...errr :o

Hatch, Si Hatch
12-16-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Btrthnezr3
As for replacements, like Mrfixit suggested, Brembo Rotors are nice...but hmm...I think I read somewhere on this board that they rust/corrode like a "mofo" ...anybody wanna correct me on this one? Cuz I'm not sure...errr :o

Just the opposite, brembos are zinc plated, which makes them highly resistant to rust. I had them on my 97' Civic EX and never saw any rust.

KeNnYtAkEr
12-16-2003, 01:26 PM
I heard the powerslot rotors are rust resistant too. and get the Greenstuff brake pads by EBC brakes.
Brembos are great but alot of $ if you want a cheaper 4pot big brake system try SSBC there not bad.

MUSASHI
12-16-2003, 02:57 PM
Look on ebay , they have some Brembo rotors for $95 for front pair .They look sweet cross-drilled , but some people say they might crack around holes . Also , you can get powerslot ones , and I saw some with dimples , looks kinda cool

stimpGSX
12-17-2003, 02:56 PM
thanks, looking into the ebay ones

Luis

CivicSiR
12-18-2003, 03:35 AM
I have Brembo slotted rotors in the front and I'm using Axis pads on all four corners with lines as well. I decided to stay stock size for a couple reasons. Money was one, and the other is just being practical...with the slotted rotors, lines and pads I'm braking much better already and find little need for anything more...but 12 or 13" rotors would look hot tho. hah. here's a pic

http://www.bretgorden.com/images/civicsi/brake2.JPG

Vertigo
12-18-2003, 04:27 AM
If your looking at the Brembo set-up. Check out this thread. Bio always does a good job on reviewing and installing new products.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25778

KeNnYtAkEr
12-18-2003, 05:57 AM
You know what you better off with slotted rotors if you live in a place that snow. the cross driller looks alot more aggressive but it'll hold the snow in the hole until it warms up and if it gets really cold it'll freeze. safer with the cross drilled. Just my 2 cents. ;)

chunky
12-18-2003, 08:32 AM
nopi has the brembo OEM rotors for our car for 29.05 a piece. I paid 61.xx including tax for the front pair. You can tell them you have a 2001+ civic EX coupe, it has the exact same front brake system as the si, 10.3" rotor.

I killed the stock rotors in 64k miles. I should have replaced them like 30k miles ago though, they were worn well past the serviceable limit, and I ended up cracking a piece of the rotor off while braking one day. Imagine pressing the brakes, hearing a POP sound, and realizing that you have about 5% of the braking power that you're used to. Not to mention the piston was siezed in the caliper. But i got it all worked out. It's put back together now, but I need to rebuild both calipers as they both have torn piston boots.

SO the moral of the story is, check your rotors often if you brake hard.

mrfixit687
12-18-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by chunky
nopi has the brembo OEM rotors for our car for 29.05 a piece. I paid 61.xx including tax for the front pair. You can tell them you have a 2001+ civic EX coupe, it has the exact same front brake system as the si, 10.3" rotor.

I killed the stock rotors in 64k miles. I should have replaced them like 30k miles ago though, they were worn well past the serviceable limit, and I ended up cracking a piece of the rotor off while braking one day. Imagine pressing the brakes, hearing a POP sound, and realizing that you have about 5% of the braking power that you're used to. Not to mention the piston was siezed in the caliper. But i got it all worked out. It's put back together now, but I need to rebuild both calipers as they both have torn piston boots.

SO the moral of the story is, check your rotors often if you brake hard.

you must drive like a madman :eek:

Dunrick
12-18-2003, 11:05 AM
led footed or something there Chunky?

or do you brake check people a lot? hehe

mrfixit687
12-18-2003, 01:37 PM
i think he tests his 60-0 speed 3 or 4 times a day or more

stimpGSX
12-18-2003, 04:16 PM
all I have to say is damn Chunky... you animal.. I think i drive pretty crazy and ive never managed to pull that off. Thanks for all the info guys. i think i might go with the brembos set up after all.

Luis

chunky
12-18-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by mrfixit687
i think he tests his 60-0 speed 3 or 4 times a day or more

i prefer the 1xx to legal speed limit.

I just like good brakes, so I use pretty agressive pads. The ones I have in front are full blown race pads so that's part of the story. :) it's worth it IMO. I knew I should have checked the pads & rotors sooner. I'm just glad nothing bad happened.

THMotorsports
12-19-2003, 09:15 AM
If you are looking for some good brakes, I would deffinatley go with powerslot. They have been known not to crack and not to rust as one of the other members have mentioned. As for pads, Porterfield pads are great and to go along with the same company, Hawk pads are great. I have not had any experience with EBC green stuff and have nothing good or bad to say. I have had Hawks before, and after they warm up, they bite. Remember, getting different discs and pads will not decrease your stopping distance. As in a huge article I read, you cant stop faster unless you get different tires.

NemesisITR
12-19-2003, 08:45 PM
My experience so far with our brakes:

I have less than 16K miles on my 03 Ep and I have replaced the front rotors twice, pads three times, and rebuilt the calipers once.

I have also had the rear calipers rebuilt once and rotors machined and new pads installed once.

I tried the Powerslot rotors and Hawk brake pads and they did help somewhat but even with SuperBlue brake fluid the calipers failed do to too much heat.

Get the Powerslots for show or autocross, but not for a road course, especially Texas Motor Speedway (really, really hard on the brakes!!)

My plans are to buy the kit from StopTech for our car and also try to design vents for the front brakes. No matter what brakes you have they will end up failing if there isnt any air circulation.

Plus im going to stay away from TMS, too short of a track, and just spend time on Texas World Speedway and Motorsport Ranch.

Derek

chunky
12-20-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by NemesisITR
My experience so far with our brakes:

I have less than 16K miles on my 03 Ep and I have replaced the front rotors twice, pads three times, and rebuilt the calipers once.

I have also had the rear calipers rebuilt once and rotors machined and new pads installed once.

I tried the Powerslot rotors and Hawk brake pads and they did help somewhat but even with SuperBlue brake fluid the calipers failed do to too much heat.

Get the Powerslots for show or autocross, but not for a road course, especially Texas Motor Speedway (really, really hard on the brakes!!)

My plans are to buy the kit from StopTech for our car and also try to design vents for the front brakes. No matter what brakes you have they will end up failing if there isnt any air circulation.

Plus im going to stay away from TMS, too short of a track, and just spend time on Texas World Speedway and Motorsport Ranch.

Derek

damn fool.

yeah, if i was tracking my car often, cooling ducts would be my first priority.

how do you figure you had caliper failure due to heat? are you just implying that you experienced substantial brake fade? Caliper failure typically means broken or cracked caliper.

NemesisITR
12-20-2003, 12:14 PM
Let's just say my brake pedal was all the way down on the floor by the end of the day at the track!!!

Our stock system is SHIT!

chunky
12-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by NemesisITR
Let's just say my brake pedal was all the way down on the floor by the end of the day at the track!!!

Our stock system is SHIT!

damn. what kind of brake fluid were you using?

NemesisITR
12-21-2003, 07:11 PM
Stock brake fluid at first, then I moved to Super Blue and still had heating problems.

It was mostly the track that gave me the problems. Too short of a track with two heavy breaking areas.

The track is 0.9 miles long and has two crazy hairpin turns. I think I will be alright with the stock system on a longer track like Motorsports Ranch. Test and tune I guess:D