PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof Condensation

blacksihatch
12-17-2003, 10:22 AM
Well this morning I opened the sunroof cover and noticed a lot of condensation on the inside of the glass. The weather has been raining with tempertures in the 40's. Is this normal? I have never owned a car with a sunroof so I have no idea if this sort of thing happens.

BarracksSi
12-17-2003, 10:34 AM
When did you open the sunshade -- right when you got in, after some driving, etc?

It's normal to have some condensation show up anywhere at any time, as long as it's not in a part that's supposed to be sealed (inside taillights, places like that).

It could also be because it's just fogging up like any other window.

blacksihatch
12-17-2003, 10:44 AM
It was first thing this morning and I noticed it last night. So its probebly normal. I just hear so many people having window leaks with there Cars. Just wanted to know if this was normal or not.

BarracksSi
12-17-2003, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't get too worried. That glass is going to be colder than the other windows, especially the windshield & rear window.

Remember those sunroofs that people install on cars that didn't come with one from the factory? The reason they would leak or rust is because they don't have a drainage system. No sunroof will ever be completely sealed from water, so carmakers design appropriate drainage that empties the water that gets in.

What may be happening is that the water -- even if it's a half ounce -- hasn't drained yet, so it's evaporated and re-deposited in the form of condensation on the glass.

My '86 Si's moonroof never leaked or rusted, even though it was fully removable. It's all about proper drainage.