PDA

View Full Version : hondata first impressions.

denmah
12-18-2003, 10:49 AM
well let me first say i was wayyy skeptical about the hondata upgrade. but man, its true what they say, send it out tuesday waited wed and got it thursday just 45min ago. im a believer.

throttle response is awesome low end tq is noticeably better and easier to cruise around at low rpm. but man when you take it up there you wont be dissapointed.

the first time i watched the tach fly past 7k in 2nd gear it got my adrenaline going i was so excited. 3rd i went to 8k (visually) and no rev limiter yet, most people told me you hit it visually around 8200... but WOW it really wakes this little beast up. im definately going to get videos and pics of the tach and a little drive around as soon as my friend gets off work,

did these myself.
www.herrforce.com/misc/hondataep3.wmv

SiRman
12-18-2003, 10:55 AM
Sounds like you are having fun:smilem:

Dunrick
12-18-2003, 10:58 AM
Good input. There are days I want this, then days I don't. Its a tough decision. Hopefully somebody else in the NW will get it before me, so I can check it out.

denmah
12-18-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Dunrick
Good input. There are days I want this, then days I don't. Its a tough decision. Hopefully somebody else in the NW will get it before me, so I can check it out.

i live in PA. and i plan to get a dyno after christmas. even tho the gains arent supposed to be that great... but man... watching the needle go right past the redzone so eagerly... 1st gear you almost whack the speedo.

fsugatorbait
12-18-2003, 11:07 AM
Denmah,
who did you get the flash from? thats a great turn around time. I have a few days off in January where I can be without my car and would like to take the opportunity to do this. If you could PM me all the details itd be very appreciated.
Phil

Zero Three Si
12-18-2003, 12:01 PM
So you'd say it's worth the 600 bucks?

kenis138
12-18-2003, 12:05 PM
any other mods?

denmah
12-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Zero Three Si
So you'd say it's worth the 600 bucks?

oh yeah. considering an exhaust can easily sell for 6-700 and for me a crappy fart cannon is no where near as satisfying as watching the tach sail past 7k lol

denmah
12-18-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by kenis138
any other mods?

just a Ebay intake and a Eibach Sportlines drop.

denmah
12-18-2003, 12:19 PM
oh yeah and i bought it from www.clubRSX.com
they are extremely professional and wonderful people to work with. since i talked to both owners. they can answer every question youll have and they have great personalities. both chris and derdra(sp?) are probably the most knowlegable friendliest people i have ever talked to to purchase something.

THEY COME WITH THE HIGHEST RECCOMENDATION FROM ME. if your going to get hondata. get it from them. they send you a box removal instructions and everything. A+ for them...

ImolaS54
12-18-2003, 12:27 PM
can the stock engine turn to 8000 rpm without internal mods? I mean removing the limiter is easy but i am sure the redline was set there for a reason.....

thanks

Zero Three Si
12-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by denmah
oh yeah and i bought it from www.clubRSX.com
they are extremely professional and wonderful people to work with. since i talked to both owners. they can answer every question youll have and they have great personalities. both chris and derdra(sp?) are probably the most knowlegable friendliest people i have ever talked to to purchase something.

THEY COME WITH THE HIGHEST RECCOMENDATION FROM ME. if your going to get hondata. get it from them. they send you a box removal instructions and everything. A+ for them...

I'm a little confused. So you found out about Hondata on clubrsx? Did you buy the ECU directly from hondata or a clubrsx member? Glad you are happy man!:D

Welcome aboard by the way...

enecks
12-18-2003, 12:35 PM
There are days I want this, then days I don't. Its a tough decision.

Same here. And I also worry about voiding my [rather extended and expensive] warranty. So, since I'm a pussy, I guess I'll be waiting for a while :P.

fsugatorbait
12-18-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by ImolaS54
can the stock engine turn to 8000 rpm without internal mods? I mean removing the limiter is easy but i am sure the redline was set there for a reason.....

thanks

Im gonna do you a favor before you get flammed, http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/p823cda33401f5d17f7970748aaa4a518/fa43ef64.gif use the search feature!

This has been covered more than anything else on here.

fsugatorbait
12-18-2003, 12:50 PM
I'm a little confused. So you found out about Hondata on clubrsx? Did you buy the ECU directly from hondata or a clubrsx member?

Club RSX is an authrized resller of hondata for all K series applications. Here is a description of their service...

Club RSX Hondata app for EP (http://store.clubrsx.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HD-SIECU&Category_Code=ARSXELECU)

denmah
12-18-2003, 12:54 PM
I'm a little confused. So you found out about Hondata on clubrsx? Did you buy the ECU directly from hondata or a clubrsx member? Glad you are happy man!:D

Welcome aboard by the way...

no i knew about the hondata for a long time, i tried contacting some dealers close to me about it and information... well the dealer in PA SUCKS ASS!!!!!!! they dont know what there doing, they wanted me to pay for shipping both ways and i just didnt trust them so after emailing hondata and finding out i can pay any dealer i want in any location i went to there website and looked for dealers with the best website, and information. one of the ones i visited was clubrsx. there website looked filled with info on there products and it was very well laid out, other dealers websites were rather crappy and incomplete. so i figured since they know what there doing with the web end of there buisness they are probably the people to ask.

and they have the best price, process, and people working there.

PS. you cant get the hondata ecu directly from hondata.

CivicHB
12-18-2003, 12:54 PM
oh yeah. considering an exhaust can easily sell for 6-700 and for me a crappy fart cannon is no where near as satisfying as watching the tach sail past 7k lol

could not have said it better my self.
although a mid pipe makes things more interesting.
my set up is hondata, midpipe, intake, and soon headers."budget sleeper" quiet and unsuspecting untill you get past about 6krpm and finish off near 8k.

Dunrick
12-18-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
Club RSX is an authrized resller of hondata for all K series applications. Here is a description of their service...

Club RSX Hondata app for EP (http://store.clubrsx.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HD-SIECU&Category_Code=ARSXELECU)

Good link. That makes me want to buy it more w/ that kind of service.

Zero Three Si
12-18-2003, 01:18 PM
My interest just got raised a little in the hondata. If I ever have the cash, perhaps I'll pick one up.

denmah
12-18-2003, 02:46 PM
My interest just got raised a little in the hondata. If I ever have the cash, perhaps I'll pick one up.

this will really spark your intrest

www.herrforce.com/misc/hondataep3.wmv

fsugatorbait
12-18-2003, 02:59 PM
what exhaust do you have?

denmah
12-18-2003, 03:02 PM
stock exhaust, thats just how loud the sri ebay intake is.

K20A3Si
12-18-2003, 04:10 PM
for a question that was asked earlier in the thread.....the only problem i heard that hondata was havin gon the a3 motor was valve float...being in that high of rpm's in a motor thats stock limit was 7,200 is no suprise....tighter valve springs will do the trick though....;)

02SilverSiHB
12-18-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by K20A3Si
for a question that was asked earlier in the thread.....the only problem i heard that hondata was havin gon the a3 motor was valve float...being in that high of rpm's in a motor thats stock limit was 7,200 is no suprise....tighter valve springs will do the trick though....;)
realllyyy! I'd love to know where you heard that, because that's the first...here's some info on the a3 handling the upgraded flash
The engine operates more efficiently with the Hondata program. Honda engines are built well. In 1997 Hondata ran a circuit race car with a stock 1989 B16a engine with a raised 8600 rpm redline. This engine logged 24 hours circuit time hitting the redline every 3-4 seconds. The engine was then stripped down and measured. Everything was within new specification. The K series engine is 10 years newer and is built a lot better. Provided your engine is maintained correctly this modification should not affect the engine's life.

...oh by the way, not only is your story fady, but your 7200 rpm limit stock is so wrong, it's 6800...I don't care what your tach says, it's really 6800.
http://www.hondata.com/images/k30a3civicsistockvstune.gif

And last but not least..moved to the engine forum :)

anjapower
12-18-2003, 08:12 PM
I have over 10k miles with Hondata on my EP3, with 30 trips down the dragstrip and going to redline once or twice a day, and I have 0 problems. I hope the trend continues!

denmah
12-18-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by anjapower
I have over 10k miles with Hondata on my EP3, with 30 trips down the dragstrip and going to redline once or twice a day, and I have 0 problems. I hope the trend continues!

w3rd, i redlined it a shitload today, and whacked the limiter just to see where that is visually now, i felt kinda bad for redlining her so much lol. but then i realized that she likes it.

i took my friend with a supercharged mustang for a ride, know what he said to me... " i wish my engine revved that high " lol i loved it. he said he can really feel a big diff since the last time he rode in the car.

anjapower
12-18-2003, 08:21 PM
I must say though...although you can wind the tach out to a tick past 8k, the power starts to fall rapidly after 7500 or so

denmah
12-18-2003, 08:55 PM
I must say though...although you can wind the tach out to a tick past 8k, the power starts to fall rapidly after 7500 or so

i plan on getting a dyno soon, and if thats true i see no point in hitting 8k thanks.

Zero Three Si
12-19-2003, 08:40 AM
As much as I would love to get Hondata, my gas mileage would go from 22mpg to 15. I might as well drive a Durango. hehehehe:D

ahhhonda
12-19-2003, 08:48 AM
I know that maybe this should be a separate post, but how many people have hooked up another tach of some sort to confirm how accurate(or innaccurate) the stock tach is? Is it innacurate on ALL of our cars? Is is proportionially or exponentionally innacurate? If so, by how much would you say it's off at the indicated redline(6800)? And yes, I did search for this, but found no specific numbers. I know my fuel cutoff happens in the low 7000 range indicated on my tach, and I don't have hondata(yet). On the speedometer side, using a GPS I can say that my car reads slow up until about 40mph and then fast from there on. When I'm indicated at 80, the actual speed is probably 78. Not a big difference, but still nice to know.

CivicHB
12-19-2003, 09:00 AM
As much as I would love to get Hondata, my gas mileage would go from 22mpg to 15. I might as well drive a Durango. hehehehe:D

Only if you mash the gas pedal to the floor all day everyday. Flat fact: hondata IMPROVES gas milage, if you don't leadfoot, ironic...

Ahh..that other EP is ripping past me in 2nd, oh well at least I'll have 1/5 more of a gallon of gas then him.

Most engine mods improve gas milage, except people with new mods tend to gun it more than baby it.

Hondata is worth it, IMO.:yellm: don't let something like gas milage steer you clear of considering Hondata.

civic hatch boi
12-19-2003, 09:24 AM
i plan on getting a dyno soon, and if thats true i see no point in hitting 8k thanks.

the reason you take it to 8k is so that when you shift, it lands in a higher rpm..

also, civicHB are you sure that most engine mods improve mileage? i've heard otherwise from everyone else. i/h/e improves mileage? i dun think so.

Zero Three Si
12-19-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by CivicHB
Only if you mash the gas pedal to the floor all day everyday. Flat fact: hondata IMPROVES gas milage, if you don't leadfoot, ironic...

Ahh..that other EP is ripping past me in 2nd, oh well at least I'll have 1/5 more of a gallon of gas then him.

Most engine mods improve gas milage, except people with new mods tend to gun it more than baby it.

Hondata is worth it, IMO.:yellm: don't let something like gas milage steer you clear of considering Hondata.

I'm a speed junkie as it is.

CivicHB
12-19-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
the reason you take it to 8k is so that when you shift, it lands in a higher rpm..

exactly

also, civicHB are you sure that most engine mods improve mileage? i've heard otherwise from everyone else. i/h/e improves mileage? i dun think so.

no, I "assume" simple things like free flowing(corrrect term??)items such as exhaust/intake/headers would help with gas milage in certain rpm ranges compared to stock esp. on the freeway.It's all in what combo you use and how you drive. Then again I have no numbers to back me up just my personal ventures.

denmah
12-19-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi

yeah i like watching the tach land on 5500-6000 rpm on shifts.

ImolaS54
12-19-2003, 10:40 AM
Im gonna do you a favor before you get flammed, http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/p823cda33401f5d17f7970748aaa4a518/fa43ef64.gif use the search feature!

This has been covered more than anything else on here.

i did a search, and the post seems to say something to the effect of the car is built strong, overengineered, etc...sounds like alot of speculation to me... now if someone was to tell me, for example, the same engine in japan has a 7700 redline without any mods that might change my mind.

fsugatorbait
12-19-2003, 10:45 AM
i did a search, and the post seems to say something to the effect of the car is built strong, overengineered, etc...sounds like alot of speculation to me... now if someone was to tell me, for example, the same engine in japan has a 7700 redline without any mods that might change my mind.

When hondata was doing their testing for the flash they raised the rev limit on the A3 to 10k and no problems. There ya go! :)

ImolaS54
12-19-2003, 10:52 AM
When hondata was doing their testing for the flash they raised the rev limit on the A3 to 10k and no problems. There ya go! :)

right 10,000 rpm no problems.

andy
12-19-2003, 11:03 AM

That has been documented/posted by the Hondata guys. They're good
about answering email, I think, email them if you don't believe it.

Also, I can't remember for the life of me where I read this, but
someone was using a K-series (it may have been an A2) engine in their
race car. They upgraded all kinds of crap (it may be Spoon), except
valvetrain. And they were fine with that...

Dunrick
12-19-2003, 11:05 AM
The other reason you bring it to 8k, is because although the power is dropping, its still a lot of horsepower in the powerband. Poeple think just because its not peak horsepower all the time, that they can't win races....they are wrong

I'm suprised our cam still delivers fuel like it does. First thing you should do when you get hondata, is find where the fuel cutoff is on the tach, and shift a hair before it....having extra rev's is what makes honda's, HONDA'S

If I got hondata, I would be interested in getting the ITR rear end...I believe it is more aggressive than ours...

ImolaS54
12-19-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by andy
That has been documented/posted by the Hondata guys. They're good
about answering email, I think, email them if you don't believe it.

Also, I can't remember for the life of me where I read this, but
someone was using a K-series (it may have been an A2) engine in their
race car. They upgraded all kinds of crap (it may be Spoon), except
valvetrain. And they were fine with that...

I would like nothing more than for my stock EP to rev to 8000rpm or more....there is nothing like an engine screaming at those high rpms. However, i just find it hard to believe that a stock engine can take that kind of "abuse" without have some negative effects.

Of course a vender would never bash its products, so I was hoping it would come from a different source to verify capability of the EP. Testing at 10,000 rpm without any problems is hard to believe. I mean what did they do, rev it to 10,000 rpm once for .5 seconds?

I am no means bashing the product and have no doubts that it does what everyone says it does, i just want some reassurances before the upgrade.

Thanks!

andy
12-19-2003, 11:36 AM
I would like nothing more than for my stock EP to rev to 8000rpm or more....there is nothing like an engine screaming at those high rpms. However, i just find it hard to believe that a stock engine can take that kind of "abuse" without have some negative effects.

Of course a vender would never bash its products, so I was hoping it would come from a different source to verify capability of the EP. Testing at 10,000 rpm without any problems is hard to believe. I mean what did they do, rev it to 10,000 rpm once for .5 seconds?

I am no means bashing the product and have no doubts that it does what everyone says it does, i just want some reassurances before the upgrade.

Thanks!

Understand your position completely, I was pretty skeptical at first
myself (not that I'm totally sold, since I don't have it yet ;) ).

As far as Hondata not 'bashing' their own stuff, that is normally
par for the course with vendors. However, Hondata to me seems different.
I've seen very, very few dislikes with them or allegations of lies/false
stats, other than that their price is a little high. Their lead
guy, Doug, posts here and several other places.

I don't think the 10K redline was a typical thing, but I think in
their testing they ran it to that a couple of times on the dyno
without floating any valves.
Also, this comes off their site:
"With any increase in rev limit there is an increased risk of valve damage. To minimize your risk use the Hondata program with the stock rev limit. All reports of valve damage we have heard have been as a result of miss-shift. The Type S valve springs are good. We have tested a Type S with an 8900 rev limit in a press test vehicle for several months with no problems."

Like they say, you don't have to rev high with the flash (although
you'll surely want to). You could only do it at the autoX or track
if you liked and just stay around 7K on the street. It still smoothes
out the hp/tq curves throughout the power band and should produce
a little more power as well. But the extra REVs are really the
added value for the A3.
Damn, I type too much, even when way hungover. ;)

denmah
12-19-2003, 11:38 AM
no they redlined it every 2-3 seconds for almost 24 hours...

then stripped it down to every individual piece for inspection.
it was all perfect.

MolonLabe
12-19-2003, 12:34 PM
Fellas, before I drove a Honda car I rode a Honda motorcycle, specifically a 1997 CBR 600 F3. Compared to what Honda is putting out now in the 600cc range it was a dog, but it did redline at 14,700rpm with fuel cutoff just after 15,200 rpm. I put about 17,000 miles on the bike until I had to sell it due to financial difficulty (i.e. law school is expensive as hell).

I redlined that engine every time I rode the bike, for 17,000 miles, and the bike was flawless the whole time. Not as much as a blown fuse, you put oil in it, you put gas in it, you lube the chain, and it goes.

Now, if Honda can build a 600cc street engine that will do 15,000 rpm every day, and they've had ample experience with cars such as the NSX which redlined over 8,000 rpm from day one (even the first year of production), I don't find it too much of a stretch to believe that they can build a 2000cc engine that will rev to 10,000 without grenading like a broke-dick Ford. This is why you buy a Honda instead of a Toyota or a Hyundai, by the way.

fsugatorbait
12-19-2003, 12:43 PM
right 10,000 rpm no problems.
Right!

Testing at 10,000 rpm without any problems is hard to believe. I mean what did they do, rev it to 10,000 rpm once for .5 seconds?
Wrong!

Quoted by Denmah:
they redlined it every 2-3 seconds for almost 24 hours...

it was all perfect.

Why would hondata care about doctoring the numbers? they dont sell a flash with a rev limit anywhere near 10k rpm's so if the engine blew, it blew end of story. Hondata also sells a flash that keeps the stock rev limit so if the extra revs are a problem for you just opt not to get the increase. :confused:

Back to your original question...

Quoted by Anajapower:
I have over 10k miles with Hondata on my EP3, with 30 trips down the dragstrip and going to redline once or twice a day, and I have 0 problems.

Quoted by RMC22:
I've had Hondata for about 10k now...I've noticed no side effects, well, except better gas mileage, but that may also be due to the fact that the car is a year old with over double miles.

Quoted by myeverlovinsir:
I have been running the 1st and 2nd flashes for the longest in Canada. I run the engine to 'near' the rev limiter almost daily. I can't remember hitting it in a very long time. You get use to the sound and feel after a while and know where the cutoff is for the next gear. That said, I have 60k on my ride and its just as snappy as ever. The head and it's components in the A3 can handle the extra revs, no problem.

These are just a few quick references for hondata that I found through the search feature that show that extended use and in some cases abuse ;), have no ill side affects on the A3 to date. I have yet to hear one person who got the flash complain about it, even after shelling out $600 and not one person, here or over at clubrsx has reported problems related to the increased revs. What more research do you need?

ImolaS54
12-19-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by MolonLabe
Fellas, before I drove a Honda car I rode a Honda motorcycle, specifically a 1997 CBR 600 F3. Compared to what Honda is putting out now in the 600cc range it was a dog, but it did redline at 14,700rpm with fuel cutoff just after 15,200 rpm. I put about 17,000 miles on the bike until I had to sell it due to financial difficulty (i.e. law school is expensive as hell).

I redlined that engine every time I rode the bike, for 17,000 miles, and the bike was flawless the whole time. Not as much as a blown fuse, you put oil in it, you put gas in it, you lube the chain, and it goes.

Now, if Honda can build a 600cc street engine that will do 15,000 rpm every day, and they've had ample experience with cars such as the NSX which redlined over 8,000 rpm from day one (even the first year of production), I don't find it too much of a stretch to believe that they can build a 2000cc engine that will rev to 10,000 without grenading like a broke-dick Ford. This is why you buy a Honda instead of a Toyota or a Hyundai, by the way.

thanks, but i understand that bikes can have a very high redline ( just sold my VFR800), it was designed like that from the factory. Having had an nsx myself i seem to remember the rev limit at 8150 or so. If your last comment is regarding reliability, then it should read that's why you buy a toyota instead of a honda.

ImolaS54
12-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Right!

Wrong!

Quoted by Denmah:
they redlined it every 2-3 seconds for almost 24 hours...

it was all perfect.

Why would hondata care about doctoring the numbers? they dont sell a flash with a rev limit anywhere near 10k rpm's so if the engine blew, it blew end of story. Hondata also sells a flash that keeps the stock rev limit so if the extra revs are a problem for you just opt not to get the increase. :confused:

2-3 seconds for 24 hours at 10,000 rpm.....all perfect... am i the only one that doesn't buy this?

poing taken on the rest of your post, thanks for the info.

MolonLabe
12-19-2003, 01:31 PM
Imola wrote:

thanks, but i understand that bikes can have a very high redline ( just sold my VFR800), it was designed like that from the factory.

My point exactly. As a factory, Honda has the knowledge to build machines like this and the confidence to sell them to everyday Joes, knowing that you can't hurt em. My F3 was box stock, factory redline.

Having had an nsx myself i seem to remember the rev limit at 8150 or so.

Yeah, I knew it was over 8000 rpm. So, what hauls more ass, a stock NSX or an S2000 with enough upgrades to cost as much as that NSX? Which would you rather have? (this is an honest question, not a loaded question)

If your last comment is regarding reliability, then it should read that's why you buy a toyota instead of a honda.

Eh, maybe, but Toyotas are so damn underpowered, except for the Supra which they don't even make anymore. Too bad.

fsugatorbait
12-19-2003, 01:38 PM
Off topic...
I was takin a look at your web page and DAMN! You have had your fair share of exotic high end cars. The NSX is just Beautiful :'(!

What in the world after owning all those cars brought you to the EP?

Welcome aboard.:)

ImolaS54
12-19-2003, 01:40 PM
My point exactly. As a factory, Honda has the knowledge to build machines like this and the confidence to sell them to everyday Joes, knowing that you can't hurt em. My F3 was box stock, factory redline.

in theory yes, but due to budgets and other goals, just because they know how doesn't mean they will do it. BMW makes high reving bikes too but their highest reving car is the M3 (8000rpm) And no i wouldn't think for a minute to try and rev pass 8100 in my m3.

Yeah, I knew it was over 8000 rpm. So, what hauls more ass, a stock NSX or an S2000 with enough upgrades to cost as much as that NSX? Which would you rather have? (this is an honest question, not a loaded question)

rather have a stock nsx w/ factory warranty then a s2000 with enough upgrade to break down here and there. I loved the nsx, and will have another again.

Eh, maybe, but Toyotas are so damn underpowered, except for the Supra which they don't even make anymore. Too bad.

yeah but the supra is so overweight :)

ImolaS54
12-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Off topic...
What in the world after owning all those cars brought you to the EP?

Welcome aboard.:)

M3 w/ EP perfect everyday combo :) believe it or not i actually like driving the EP more at times, it revs so free and it is just so damn nimble.

fsugatorbait
12-19-2003, 01:44 PM
M3 w/ EP perfect everyday combo :) believe it or not i actually like driving the EP more at times, it revs so free and it is just so damn nimble.

hahaha, theres something you dont see everyday, an M3 and EP being compared. ;)

ImolaS54
12-19-2003, 01:49 PM
hahaha, theres something you dont see everyday, an M3 and EP being compared. ;)

hey i just noticed, are you the one i was trying to work out a deal on the Greddy with? You are now forcing me to order the magnaflow exhaust! :)

fsugatorbait
12-19-2003, 01:54 PM
hey i just noticed, are you the one i was trying to work out a deal on the Greddy with? You are now forcing me to order the magnaflow exhaust! :)

Hahaha, mr Honda I presume. :)

Yeah im the guy with the EVO, small world. If ya let me drive your M3, then I might be able to work something out. ;)

EDIT: why the magnaflow? If your interested in a new comptech, PM me i'v got some info on a guy I was gonna be dealing with if you ended up with mine.

ImolaS54
12-19-2003, 02:04 PM
Hahaha, mr Honda I presume. :)

Yeah im the guy with the EVO, small world. If ya let me drive your M3, then I might be able to work something out. ;)

EDIT: why the magnaflow? If your interested in a new comptech, PM me i'v got some info on a guy I was gonna be dealing with if you ended up with mine.

yup see man i would never bash any honda cars :) i like the dual tip of the mgnaflow, the comptech looks weird w/ the tips pointing down... :)

MolonLabe
12-19-2003, 02:04 PM
Imola: good point about the NSX / S2000 comparison. That hadn't occurred to me. Also, you have good taste in motorcycles, those VFRs make great sport-tourers.

So, um, what line of work are you in? (Please tell me you're a lawyer)

fsugatorbait
12-19-2003, 02:09 PM
the comptech looks weird w/ the tips pointing down... :)

that was my only complaint about the exhaust as well, just doesnt look right although the sound and being full stainless in the NE more than makes up for it. But when it came down to it, I found id more than miss my Greddy.

ImolaS54
12-19-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by MolonLabe
Imola: good point about the NSX / S2000 comparison. That hadn't occurred to me. Also, you have good taste in motorcycles, those VFRs make great sport-tourers.

So, um, what line of work are you in? (Please tell me you're a lawyer)

thanks, i tend to over research stuff i buy :)

project manager.

Mighty_Mouse
12-19-2003, 02:30 PM
Just wanted to add something about the Hondata. They seem to have done a very good job tuning the lower fuel zones (usually the 100 zones) because the the driveability is much better than stock. Going from light throttle on to throttle closed is very smooth. It was quite jerky in stock form.

$600 is a lot, but it's worth it.

andy
12-19-2003, 02:48 PM
that was my only complaint about the exhaust as well, just doesnt look right although the sound and being full stainless in the NE more than makes up for it. But when it came down to it, I found id more than miss my Greddy.

You can always get a new tip put on. I got mine from joe/siep, he had
an RSX-S tip put on there.

fsugatorbait
12-19-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by andy
You can always get a new tip put on. I got mine from joe/siep, he had
an RSX-S tip put on there.

Damn you Andy! :)

That looks 10x better and makes me rethink selling my exhaust. Oh the headaches of modying cars... :cool:

andy
12-19-2003, 03:04 PM
Damn you Andy! :)

That looks 10x better and makes me rethink selling my exhaust. Oh the headaches of modying cars... :cool:

No, Damn You! for buying that guys' mudguards. I had those on my
eBay watch list! hahaha, j/k

Yeah, I like the tip on mine. Not sure if it made a sound difference
(probably), but I just don't like big tips, unless it's backed by
a monster turbo and spits fuel or something. ;)

denmah
12-19-2003, 03:12 PM
direct quote from hondata.

Will this affect the engine life?

The engine operates more efficiently with the Hondata program. Honda engines are built well. In 1997 Hondata ran a circuit race car with a stock 1989 B16a engine with a raised 8600 rpm redline. This engine logged 24 hours circuit time hitting the redline every 3-4 seconds. The engine was then stripped down and measured. Everything was within new specification. The K series engine is 10 years newer and is built a lot better. Provided your engine is maintained correctly this modification should not affect the engine's life.

anjapower
12-19-2003, 06:26 PM
so phil, did seeing and hearing my comptech get you thinkin?:D BTW, comptech race header is coming in soon.;)

fsugatorbait
12-19-2003, 06:56 PM
so phil, did seeing and hearing my comptech get you thinkin?:D

Yah, I was impressed by it, and the raspy sound I get sometimes with the test pipe has got me thinking about switchin to a nice deep exhaust.

BTW, comptech race header is coming in soon.;)
Ill have hondata by mid January, sounds like a trip to the track my friend...:D

Dunrick
12-19-2003, 07:03 PM
This thread is great...If/when I get hondata, I will make a good movie showing its potential....racing a ep3 w/o hondata...

thats what I really want to see

BTW - borla exhaust is dual tips

02SilverSiHB
12-19-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by ahhhonda
I know that maybe this should be a separate post, but how many people have hooked up another tach of some sort to confirm how accurate(or innaccurate) the stock tach is? Is it innacurate on ALL of our cars? Is is proportionially or exponentionally innacurate? If so, by how much would you say it's off at the indicated redline(6800)? And yes, I did search for this, but found no specific numbers. I know my fuel cutoff happens in the low 7000 range indicated on my tach, and I don't have hondata(yet). On the speedometer side, using a GPS I can say that my car reads slow up until about 40mph and then fast from there on. When I'm indicated at 80, the actual speed is probably 78. Not a big difference, but still nice to know.
I've had my car on the dyno and the dyno machine reads correct revolutions. On the dyno I would hit 6800 for max rpms....but on my stock tach, it should anywhere from 7200-7300, I hear it gets worse the more revs you go up.

you rev limiter is at 6800 stock...doesn't matter what it shows, tons of us have dynod stock and this has been talked about over and over. with the hondata it raises it to 7700rpm, but may show up as 8000-8200 on the cars tach...it's just off.

Dunrick
12-20-2003, 03:27 PM
its more simple than that even.......

ALL HONDA FUEL CUTOFFS are wherever the "REDLINE" is shown on the tach

ours is shown at 6800, therefore, its 6800

but the needle is not accurate, so its about 7.2k rpm's

No reason to dyno to see where it is though....

02SilverSiHB
12-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Dunrick

No reason to dyno to see where it is though....
unless they just don't believe us

1fastminivan
12-21-2003, 04:22 PM
Well.....after last night my friend raced my car against two spec Vs....both of them stock.....mine ES motormount inserts and HKS catback.....the first run the EP lost by 1carlength......the second run....lost by nose. Those Spec Vs are damn quick....even though my friend in my EP would kill them nasty off the line.....and I mean nasty..those ES mm inserts helped alot!....they would still creep up on the EP.......so now Im going Hondata.
My friend who wanted to race my car against the Spec Vs once had an EP with hondata and nothing else......and said Spec Vs would be easy for him to kill......now he drives an S2k:D ........only because his EP was totaled;) Hondata here I come.......it was either Header or Hondata.......which would you chose?

02SilverSiHB
12-21-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by 1fastminivan
Hondata here I come.......it was either Header or Hondata.......which would you chose?
hondata

Siman
12-21-2003, 09:19 PM
The Hondata video SOUNDS like the Vtec engauged at 6,000 rpms...is it the video or did hondata reprogram vtec engaugement?:rolleyes:

!@#$%
12-21-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by 1fastminivan
Well.....after last night my friend raced my car against two spec Vs....both of them stock.....mine ES motormount inserts and HKS catback.....the first run the EP lost by 1carlength......the second run....lost by nose. Those Spec Vs are damn quick....even though my friend in my EP would kill them nasty off the line.....and I mean nasty..those ES mm inserts helped alot!....they would still creep up on the EP.......so now Im going Hondata.
My friend who wanted to race my car against the Spec Vs once had an EP with hondata and nothing else......and said Spec Vs would be easy for him to kill......now he drives an S2k:D ........only because his EP was totaled;) Hondata here I come.......it was either Header or Hondata.......which would you chose?

kind of like the little race we had that night? :p