PDA

View Full Version : New vs Old

CaTiRo
12-18-2003, 11:25 AM
just a little curious, i had never been in a new si ... since it has more torque does it feel a lot faster than the 99-00 si. i know at the track they run similar numbers and i guess the extra torque makes up for the weight but if someone has been in both describe how it feels compared to the last si. i know the ep doesn't rev like the b16 si so i know it has to be a totally different driving experience.

j spek chucks
12-18-2003, 11:50 AM
yeah i think the ep feels faster just because of the torque the
99-2000 feels underpowered

sniperSI
12-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Yes the torque is good. This is what makes the car such a blast to drive. YOu don't have to push it hard around town 1/2 pedal up to 5 grand the car zips just fine. YOu don't have to rev it at all to make it move.

Driven correctly the SI can be very quick

Then once you hit 5 grand you can feel the tiny surges in power, it keeps building and building up to 7k. Downshifting is kept to a min. I don't need to go from 5th to 3rd to pass anyone with authority on the high way.

5th to 4th, or not even at all in some cases.

The jaunt from 50 to 80 in 3rd gear is pretty refreshing, and it's really fun when someon wants to race you while your rolling and you punch it in 3rd gear and just sit on it until 4th from 40, it feels like it climbs forever.

Best way to experiance an SI, 1 is driving, but #2 is riding, The rare occasion i let someone drive me in my car, i get the shit scared out of me because it doesnt feel like that when i'm driving, i know what to expect.

Take it for a test drive, see how fast you can get the car w/o making the engine go to deep into the VTC, that's mostly how i drive my car, makes it fast quick and quite, and maybe makes people wonder how fast it would be if i punched it since, obvioulsy i didnt, or you would of heard it ;)

but i'm just sayin ya know.

edit:

I cruise around town alot in 4th gear, and i rarley need to downshift unless i'm stoping, the car picks up just fine, and flooring it in 4th from 60, talk about another fun climb, better then 50 to 80 in 3rd, try 60 to 110 (about 110 - a few )

Btrthnezr3
12-18-2003, 12:29 PM
Very nice write-up, Sniper...I completely agree with you about the peppiness (word?) and the zip of this car...it really is a blast to drive...a big hop from my 4 door's sohc. I can't wait to really open her up...and although I've had my first "kill" (if you can call it that)I am not really into street racing but this car really hits the sweet spot in my heart with spirtited driving as one of my days activities!!

PS: I love how the EP is not as high strung as the older 99-00 Si!! When you are driving a 99 Si , it feels like the engine is gonna have a stroke before it goes sometimes...although, I do love me some B16!

denmah
12-18-2003, 12:34 PM
yeah i drove a 99-00 and i had to drop it whenver i needed to go up hills or move at all, also it has the same exact interior as the 99-00 ex and lx... all its got is the motor and a sticker... now if you look at ours. they are completely diff. they have there own seats a beautiful interior etc etc etc.

also my ep is even more fun NOW WITH MORE REVS!!!

i feel like im selling cerial with more marshmellows or something.

sniperSI
12-18-2003, 01:14 PM
The thought they put into the 02 si's i think is a little better thought out then the 00 siS.

Because these 4 cylinder 160 hp cars are not really a top end hard core racing box, but if they had the speed download it would make more sense, since most driving is done from 0 to 100 i would say.

So they gave all the torque, took away the revs, which rounded out the car well. plus the 2.0 engine which weighs less then the b16 helps as well.

Now if you get yourself the hondata flash you would be back in the reving game, many people rave about how the car is night and day differance w/ hondata. That also gets to 90 mph in 3rd gear and 60 in 2nd instead of 57 in 2nd shift to 3rd, 82 in 3rd shift to 4th for 90.

Not to mention the power keeps building at redline. It falls off at the top end of 7800 rpms for the flash, but i'm sure the differance in those extra revs is realized.

denmah
12-18-2003, 01:52 PM
Now if you get yourself the hondata flash you would be back in the reving game, many people rave about how the car is night and day differance w/ hondata. That also gets to 90 mph in 3rd gear and 60 in 2nd instead of 57 in 2nd shift to 3rd, 82 in 3rd shift to 4th for 90.

man i swear i see 65 or more in 2nd... and past 90 in 3rd.

sniperSI
12-18-2003, 01:55 PM
whoa even better my friend, awesome!

BarracksSi
12-18-2003, 02:23 PM
Brief question --

Somebody posted data from a comparison that a magazine did, and one of the performance numbers was a freeway passing thing.

I don't know the magazine, or what this particular test involved (maybe it's that 3rd gear 50-to-80 sprint), but compared to an SVT and some other cars, the Si really flew and got the best number.

Anybody remember that one?

Dunrick
12-18-2003, 02:25 PM
The fact that our car feels faster is an illusion. The torque we have on them is just enough to keep us even in track times. We do have more down low grunt, yes, but they got the top end to make up for that when both at WOT. Overall, the ep3 is a better car imo style/thought put into it. As far as racing goes, its a total drivers race in straight line racing. Our chassis is much much stiffer though. So that is another story on the road course. They really arn't all that much lighter either, the main reason they keep up, is their high revs. That can be replaced with hondata on our end, but remember, they can just raise theirs aswell....

both zippy econo cars - no doubt

I love'em both

Stoop
12-18-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by j spek chucks
yeah i think the ep feels faster just because of the torque the
99-2000 feels underpowered

I'd have to disagree with the EP feeling faster because of the torque. Maybe it's because I was used to driving my '00 Si more, but when I first drove the '02, it really didn't feel all that fast. When getting up to speed, I redlined because I thought I had a ways to go still. It felt almost as if Honda needed to give the EP a higher top end before redline to run out those gears like I could do in my '00.

But I realized that alot of it had to do with the fact that the EP is alot smoother with less road noise and more precise shifting than the '00 Si. So where-as I didn't feel like I was going that fast, I was suprised to look down at the speedometer and realize I was doing 60 when it felt more like 40mph.

I truly enjoy the ride of my wife's '02 Si to my '00 Si. But I do like the sound when my VTEC kicks in on my '00 and the way the car pulls in that 'sweet spot' range.

I already know the answer to have the best of both worlds on the EP....

....Hondata :D :D

If I absolutely HAD to make a choice between the 2 cars, I'd probably go with the EP because it is such a fun car to drive. Just my honest opinion though.

Of course both cars would be gone the day the CTR comes over.....:confused:

BarracksSi
12-18-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by StoopSi
...., but when I first drove the '02, it really didn't feel all that fast.
But I realized that alot of it had to do with the fact that the EP is alot smoother with less road noise and more precise shifting than the '00 Si. So where-as I didn't feel like I was going that fast, I was suprised to look down at the speedometer and realize I was doing 60 when it felt more like 40mph.

That's like how Steven Tyler (yeah, the Aerosmith guy) and his bandmates described the Caterham Sevens that they bought. Steven said that he'd always get busted for speeding in Porches and Ferraris because they went fast with such ease & smoothness. "You drive 100, and you feel like you're going 50. Then I got into that Caterham Seven, and when I'm going 50, I feel like I'm going a hundred miles an hour -- it kicks ass, and I don't have to worry about losing my license!"

Same reason why my Type-R-ish aluminum shift knob makes my car feel more powerful. It's a bit rougher and less insulated than the stock knob.

vivid blue Si
12-18-2003, 07:14 PM
I drove a 00 si for almost 4 years and 37,000 miles and here is the
differences that I can say after driving my 03 for 5,600 miles.
the tourque is a big deal in the EP less downshifting up hill and
easier off the line. and you can feel the 5000 to 6800 pull in the
EP but the 00 has a nice pull in V-TECH for 4700 to 8000 rpm. the
over all build of the ep is very nice compared to the 00. I mean the
seats steering wheel and IMHO the shifter is smooth as glass.(when the car is warmed up.) A little cold in the morning in vegas now)there
is alot of things different our ep is a tamer version of the 00 si.
the one thing I like much better about the 00 si is the ride height.
it seems as if its a least a inch to inch in a half lower than the EP.
I think if the EP was about a 1 1/2 lower it would make this a whole
different car. I like to say it one more time that the EP just starts
pulling hard then you have to shift This car would beat the 99-00 if
it had another 1200 rpm and was lowerd. thats my 2 cents.

vivid blue Si
12-18-2003, 07:18 PM
heres a pic of my si before

vivid blue Si
12-18-2003, 07:22 PM
here it is after had the tail and fog lights on less than a month
wish I had got pics of it with them and the stereo:'( I love my
EP but I had to get a type R to feed my v-tech cravings:cool:

Stoop
12-18-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by vivid blue Si
here it is after had the tail and fog lights on less than a month
wish I had got pics of it with them and the stereo:'( I love my
EP but I had to get a type R to feed my v-tech cravings:cool:

OUCH.....I feel you man....just devestating. :'( :'( Sorry you had to go through that. I really hope that doesn't happen to mine someday.:(

On the plus side, you are a lucky bastard that you have your Integra Type R....I definitely envy you on that one. I still check the classifieds and ebay hoping to find a Type R in immaculate shape/flawless condition. I know I probably never will be able to get one, but I can still look and dream....:D