PDA

View Full Version : Power Steerning Acting Funny?

ImolaS54
12-18-2003, 07:50 PM
it's pretty cold in NY, thou since i picked up my EP in Nov i am not sure if this "problem" is temp. dependent.

it seems at start-up or during quick turning of the steerning in a parkinglot it would sometimes feel i have no power steerning at all....is this something that's "normal" on a little car like the civic. If not, i'll have to make an appointment at the dealer.

Thanks!

blueiedgod
12-19-2003, 11:06 AM
Are you sure you have no power steering at all? Try turning the wheel with the engine off, but the key in the "on" position (to unlock the steering wheel column). Is it the same as what you describe?

We have electric power steering, which should not be affected by the temperature like conventional hydraulic power steering.

03SiBlack
12-19-2003, 11:18 AM
sometimes it feels weird in the morning like really really easy to turn the wheel but maybe its just me it feels like this in the morning

KeNnYtAkEr
12-20-2003, 02:28 AM
Ur still covered by the dealership just bring it in to be safe.

BluePearl03Si
12-20-2003, 11:14 PM
I keep forgetting, how common is electric power steering in other cars?

blueiedgod
12-21-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by BluePearl03Si
I keep forgetting, how common is electric power steering in other cars?

It is becoming more common than you think. Honda pioneered it in S2000, and like variable valve lift and timing, other manufacturers followed soon. Mini Cooper, Saturn ION, Mazda RX-8, BMW Z4 are just a few that have Electric power steering,

Zero Three Si
12-21-2003, 09:16 AM
I personally like the E.P.S. This car turns very easy even with the stock setup. My 94 ex coupe was hard to turn.

Peking
12-21-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by ImolaS54
it's pretty cold in NY, thou since i picked up my EP in Nov i am not sure if this "problem" is temp. dependent.
it seems at start-up or during quick turning of the steerning in a parkinglot it would sometimes feel i have no power steerning at all....is this something that's "normal" on a little car like the civic. If not, i'll have to make an appointment at the dealer.
Thanks!

Not normal. Now not trying to be smart, but try to (when the car is still moving at a slow speed). Turn her off, and turn the wheel. Does it feel the same. If so, yes take her in to the dealer.

blueiedgod
12-21-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Peking
Not normal. Now not trying to be smart, but try to (when the car is still moving at a slow speed). Turn her off, and turn the wheel. Does it feel the same. If so, yes take her in to the dealer.

Just got to be careful when doing that, make sure that once the car is off, you turn the key back in "On" position (one before "start") that way the steering wheel does not lock on you while you are rolling. And be prepared to exert some pressure on the brakes as well, as the power brakes will be gone.
Otherwise it was a good idea to see if the power steering is working. By the way, if you have aftermarket wheel with a larger patch than stock, Honda will mostl likely void your warranty on the PS. As it "puts more strain than designed on the power steering motor"

Peking
12-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by blueiedgod
Just got to be careful when doing that, make sure that once the car is off, you turn the key back in "On" position (one before "start") that way the steering wheel does not lock on you while you are rolling. And be prepared to exert some pressure on the brakes as well, as the power brakes will be gone.
Otherwise it was a good idea to see if the power steering is working. By the way, if you have aftermarket wheel with a larger patch than stock, Honda will mostl likely void your warranty on the PS. As it "puts more strain than designed on the power steering motor"

Great that you added to that, not turning the key all the way.