PDA

View Full Version : some thoughts regarding factory intake

ImolaS54
12-19-2003, 10:27 PM
i purchased an ebay intake and had it installed tonight... in looking at the design of the factory intake, it looks pretty damn good (as it is in most of the case). There is already a "cold air" scoop. Although the tube between the throttle body and airbox is out of plastic, it is rather short and diameter is rather large unlike the CAI kit.

To me, the CAI kit and the stock intake seems to yeild the same power, i doubt any of us could really tell the difference of plus or minus 5 horses anyway....CAI does produce that classic "rice" sound at high rpm which i kinda enjoy right now :)

Overall i am glad i didn't spend that $180 in an AEM, after i purchase my new K&N "X-stream" cone intake i'll still be about $80 ahead of the AEM. And if the AEM intake size is anything like the ebay unit, that's really scary. It's smaller than stock!!!!

mental
12-19-2003, 10:52 PM
huh... what... sure what ever i got HKS and i must say i am dam happy...
.:END TRANSMISSION:.

Peking
12-20-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by ImolaS54
To me, the CAI kit and the stock intake seems to yeild the same power, i doubt any of us could really tell the difference of plus or minus 5 horses anyway....CAI does produce that classic "rice" sound at high rpm which i kinda enjoy right now :)

You really don't know what rice is. Ghetto rigging is rice, tacky sh*t is rice, folks who think there rides are the sh*t and isn't is rice. Folks who talk about sh*t they don't know about is stupid. Where do you come off saying that CAI produces the classic "rice" sound. Glad you enjoyed it, Glad you saved some money, and mybe for your next mod you could get a coffee can and replace the muffler with it. So you could get the classic "rice" sound, and save some money ;)

ImolaS54
12-20-2003, 07:21 AM
"rice" to me = all show no go

CAI -> cool loud intake sound -> but still no go = "rice"

turbo kit w/ BOV -> cool loud turbo/BOV sound -> lots of go = non-"rice"

Peking
12-20-2003, 07:49 AM

This just proves more that you don't know what you are talkin about. I have read some of your posts. Not impressed, also you don't score any points for trying to knock est. members.

All show and no go is rice to you. I feel sorry that it seems you don't understand that having a nice looking ride (without any major performance mods) is not rice. You could just as easily be rice with a turbo.

SilVic
12-20-2003, 08:23 AM
Rice is someone that puts random body kits(discolored), Euro lights cuz they says its the same thing as Altezza lights, ugly exhaust with included fart cannon sound at high rpms but doesn't go anywhere but they act like it does. Oh yeah can't forget the shopping carts... I think that's the thing that started "rice." Plus a bunch of stickers of products they DON'T have. I always wonder what they think when they buy it and put it on. I feel sorry for the car... I really do...:'( Actually I do... :)

bao_pay
12-20-2003, 08:29 AM
haha... how about the people who buy like spoon rad cap reservoir covers and then have a 12" vinyl sticker on the hood showing off spoon products! hahahaha...

thereisnospoon
12-20-2003, 08:50 AM

i would have to agree with you 100% - although with an intake - I find double-clutching and rev-matching much easier because I can hear the engine and RPMS much better...and throttle response is somewhat improved so it may not have much "go" but it does have a benefit.

DavidT
12-20-2003, 09:01 AM
Rice huh? I don't think the growling rumple of the intake is anything ricey. A coffee can exhaust tip is rice when all you have is just a loud muffler on stock piping.

You have to understand that the diameter of the intake pipe does indeed play a big role in torque. Yes the stock box has big tubing, but it's also got many chambers to reduce noise, thus slowing down air flow along the way...alot of air flow. If you stick a 3.5" tubing CAI on your intake you will loose and ungodly amount of lowend torqe...might as well stick a filter at the throttle body. The bigger the tubing the less torque you will have (In most cases not all) but you will get better upper end power because there is more air avaliable. You can only go so big until it is "rice" and it will be stupid. A 3" diameter intake tubing is about right for a long CAI. 2.5" for a SRI would be good. Depending on design and everything, it will differ but in most cases that is the case.

Also, how can you say an intake is "no go?" Maybe your Ebay intake because it was cheap. But all the name brand intakes have been dyno proven to give more HP over stock. That's not rice to me.

Peking
12-20-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by thereisnospoon
i would have to agree with you 100% - although with an intake - I find double-clutching and rev-matching much easier because I can hear the engine and RPMS much better...and throttle response is somewhat improved so it may not have much "go" but it does have a benefit.

2002 S2000 berlina black/black
2003 Civic Si vivid vlue
2004 TSX 6spd/nav

Nice list of rides.

"double-clutching and rev-matching " do you really. Hmm :confusem:

thereisnospoon
12-20-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Peking
2002 S2000 berlina black/black
2003 Civic Si vivid vlue
2004 TSX 6spd/nav

Nice list of rides.

"double-clutching and rev-matching " do you really. Hmm :confusem:

I dont know what you mean? Do I double clutch? Yes. When entering a corner and you need to downshift, double-clutching (or just rev-matching - I'm just used to a full double clutch) keeps you from upsetting the balance of the car via abrupt weight transfer.

I have found that especially on the Si but on the S as well that the engine noise with a stock intake is subdued enough that you really have to listen for the appropriate RPM points when blipping the throttle - but with a CAI/SRI installed you can be much more in-tune with the engine and know exactly how much throttle to give and when (and the increased throttle response makes blipping the throttle easier - the TSX is bone stock and there is a bit of a lag when trying to rev-match)

You should look into the technique - its very rewarding once learned and its fun to do :cool:

thereisnospoon
12-20-2003, 09:24 AM
Nice list of rides.
[/B]

thanks! I'm going througha bit of withdrawal not being able to drive the S much in the winter. But the Si is a fun car to toss around - much better than my last daily driver (an old automatic Passat).

Peking
12-20-2003, 09:28 AM
You should look into the technique - its very rewarding once learned and its fun to do :cool:

I already have, just making sure you knew what you were takin about. Double clutching has and is being used by people who heard it from the movie and try to impress others with it.

thereisnospoon
12-20-2003, 09:33 AM
I already have, just making sure you knew what you were takin about. Double clutching has and is being used by people who heard it from the movie and try to impress others with it.

? Not trying to impress anyone - just defending the non-performance benefits of a louder than stock intake...

Getting back to the thread. When I was installing my SRI in the Si - I noticed on the stock airbox that there is a large round plug of sorts on the bottom - looks like about 3 inches in diameter. Anyone ever try to unscrew or cut out this plug and route some cold air there? It looks like it would be located right over the tranny though - so I dont know what the clearance would be like. Seems like it might be a way to get some more airflow without completely getting rid of the stock box...

aerial
12-20-2003, 09:37 AM
man u shold get a good cai n u can tell diference not cheap shit u know wht once i try go back to my stock n it sucks of course is abig diference love my injen sri

ImolaS54
12-20-2003, 09:54 AM
This just proves more that you don't know what you are talkin about. I have read some of your posts. Not impressed, also you don't score any points for trying to knock est. members.

All show and no go is rice to you. I feel sorry that it seems you don't understand that having a nice looking ride (without any major performance mods) is not rice. You could just as easily be rice with a turbo.

do you have low self-esteem or something? do you come on the board to impress others with your posts and kiss up to est. members? sir, please run, do not walk, to your nearest store and get a life.

ImolaS54
12-20-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by aerial
man u shold get a good cai n u can tell diference not cheap shit u know wht once i try go back to my stock n it sucks of course is abig diference love my injen sri

come again?

Peking
12-20-2003, 10:31 AM
do you have low self-esteem or something? do you come on the board to impress others with your posts and kiss up to est. members? sir, please run, do not walk, to your nearest store and get a life.

Haha, do you have low self esteem? I have been on here for quite some time. In a way, you do get to know some folks on here. I was offended by some of your posts. Kissing ass was not apart of it. I tell you what, tell me the store where you got yours, and I might check it out.

ImolaS54, your just to cool for school
:D

BluePearl03Si
12-20-2003, 06:30 PM
Kissing ass is alot differant than respecting people who know what they are talking about. I know some about my EP and the world of driving but not nearly enough, so I'm listening to the people who have modded their EPs, Learn what they did right (Or wrong) when working on it, and try to make working on my car easier. They know alot more than the people who wrote the instructions for the AEM CAI, that's for sure. :D

DavidT
12-20-2003, 06:39 PM
sir, please run, do not walk, to your nearest store and get a life.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's the funniest thing I heard all day, sorry. :D Anyway, everyone has their own opinion on things. To each of his own. We all drive and appreciate the same type of car, don't need to come here and start arguing over each other's opinions.

Peking
12-20-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by BluePearl03Si
Kissing ass is alot differant than respecting people who know what they are talking about.So I'm listening to the people who have modded their EPs, Learn what they did right (Or wrong) when working on it, and try to make working on my car easier.

It is the same for me. This site has changed quite abit from a year ago. You can tell when you look back at the old posts. Sure some things stay the same, but most things have changed. It is to be expected. I find it difficult to tolerate ignorant comments (I am not perfect, I make them too), some of these new folks come on here. Thinking they are bigger and better than others (and/or smarter, more mature, etc.). Instead of taking the time to sit back and learn. Read through the old posts, search for topics, do research not just here, but from other places (different sites, forums, etc.). Read the stickys (and I have done that in the past). Not post the same exact topic in different sections, and/or in the same section. Instead some folks post, and when members try to tell them what to do. They get upset, and feel it is a personal attack. It is really silly, so the advice isn't suger coated. Get over it :D

Peking
12-20-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by DavidT
BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's the funniest thing I heard all day, sorry. :D Anyway, everyone has their own opinion on things. To each of his own. We all drive and appreciate the same type of car, don't need to come here and start arguing over each other's opinions.

Yeah that was funny, my friends and I had a good laugh. Best part is I wasn't expecting it :D

MrCivic03
12-20-2003, 07:58 PM
damn peking this fool needs a PIMP SLAP...

lean over and smack that bitch, teach him this isnt clubsi.

ImolaS54
12-20-2003, 08:22 PM
Kissing ass is alot differant than respecting people who know what they are talking about.So I'm listening to the people who have modded their EPs, Learn what they did right (Or wrong) when working on it, and try to make working on my car easier.

Okay, of course repect would be given to ppl that know what they are talking about or even just trying to help others. So what did mr.peking do for me in this post? That i should yeild to ppl who has higher post counts? come on....

...Instead of taking the time to sit back and learn. Read through the old posts, search for topics, do research not just here, but from other places (different sites, forums, etc.). Read the stickys (and I have done that in the past). Not post the same exact topic in different sections, and/or in the same section.

you live in a world of instant gratification, no one wants to sit and read through old post, that defeats a large part of a message forum, live interaction.

...Instead some folks post, and when members try to tell them what to do. They get upset, and feel it is a personal attack. It is really silly, so the advice isn't suger coated. Get over it :D

now i know you are intelligent enough not applying this statment towards me, you did provide any "advice" but "ignorant comments".

hey MrCivic03 being a whore/kiss ass yourself, could you explain to me what a "pimp slap" is? I am so glad all of your are so great able to "teach" & "school" me.

Blackapino85
12-21-2003, 12:10 AM
you live in a world of instant gratification, no one wants to sit and read through old post, that defeats a large part of a message forum, live interaction.

i like reading old posts as a matter of fact. i can compare the stuff that people are excited over when they first buy them but then see how they like them a few months down the line. this thread needs to die because it's not helpful at all. although, i just posted so i'm not helping either.:D

oldschoolimport
12-21-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by aerial
man u shold get a good cai n u can tell diference not cheap shit u know wht once i try go back to my stock n it sucks of course is abig diference love my injen sri Punctuation is your friend. It helps to seperate thoughts, and helps convey your message to those being addressed. ;)

irrational
12-21-2003, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by MrCivic03

http://www.outpimp.com/?x=224362
hahahaha

thereisnospoon
12-21-2003, 09:04 AM
sorry guys - but this sort of thing with all of the "you obviously dont know what you are talking about" and "pimp slapping" is exactly why this place is like ClubSi. Wanna-be gangsta talk in an online technical car forum is beyond absurd. And Peking testing me to make sure I know what I'm talking about. Come on over to S2Ki and see what a more mature, respectful forum is about. Peking - you sound like you have a handle on what this forum should be like - try following your own advice, and respecting those you know nothing about, until they give you cause to do otherwise...otherwise you run the risk of scaring off members that can actually contribute.

ANYWAY - back to talking about intakes -anyone know about that 3" plug in the stocker or not? :)

Peking
12-21-2003, 10:26 AM
Okay, of course repect would be given to ppl that know what they are talking about or even just trying to help others. So what did mr.peking do for me in this post? That i should yeild to ppl who has higher post counts? come on....

now i know you are intelligent enough not applying this statment towards me, you did provide any "advice" but "ignorant comments".

hey MrCivic03 being a whore/kiss ass yourself, could you explain to me what a "pimp slap" is? I am so glad all of your are so great able to "teach" & "school" me.

What makes you think that all this applies to you, seem a little full of your self. My comments were not ignorant, your thread was. MrCivic is not a kiss ass, and he was just playing about the pimp slap. So please don't take such things so seriously, this is a internet car forum. Alot of us post stuff just to be funny, not trying to put anymore meaning to actually physical.

sorry guys - but this sort of thing with all of the "you obviously dont know what you are talking about" and "pimp slapping" is exactly why this place is like ClubSi. Wanna-be gangsta talk in an online technical car forum is beyond absurd. And Peking testing me to make sure I know what I'm talking about. Come on over to S2Ki and see what a more mature, respectful forum is about. Peking - you sound like you have a handle on what this forum should be like - try following your own advice, and respecting those you know nothing about, until they give you cause to do otherwise...otherwise you run the risk of scaring off members that can actually contribute.

I don't know how much you know about clubsi, just like I don't know anything about you. Hence the questions, you learn. Hopefully you would give me and others here more of a chance before you judge. This gangsta talk is quite different here than other forums, here it is joking. While on others it is used to make themselves feel better, if you have been here for a while you would see how much we enjoy making fun. To say that this site is less mature or respectful is alittle silly. Considering that you made this judgement off of this thread, without doing more research (not saying you had to). You can type as you please. If you take the time (which once again you don't have to), you could see that I do what members here who can contribute. And I do want to help those who need it. What I have a problem with is people who come on here, not following guidelines, and when given advice (though it may not be what they want to read) take it as a personal attack.

Examples...

This is posted in the ep disscusion

where did you get your seat track from? wedge?
Thanks
Should be in interior, if he took the time to look around he would know that. Or find his answer, this kinda stuff will bring flames.

When I made some of my comments, the reason for that comes from this...
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24807

u done yet? every message board alway one or two lamers like yourself.

not getting touchy but the search feature on any board is never perfect, if i have to try "hard" to do a search why's the point of the system at all? Wouldn't it be easier for me to ask the same questions again and for someone to answer (as few members have done) and for me to return this favor when a new guy/gal comes on. This is what makes a message board like this great; not a few lamers posting oh use the search feature. I would say don't bother posting at all as it is no help. I am sure you can understand where i am coming from.
If you go to any message board, there are always the same questions repeated again and again, and let's be real here, it is what keeps the message board alive.
Regards,
Tetsuo
Don't really dissagree with, but like Steve said.

Originally posted by US_Si
Lamers? Do some research on your own. There are search and help features built in to EVERYTHING online, UTILIZE THEM.
This site has almost 2 years of members, threads, posts, etc here and I'm sure ALL of your requests have been covered. If not, then please post, but I know more than half are out there.
No need to get touchy and welcome to the site.
If you need technical how to information, all of that is in my signature.
Steve

as i suspected another intelligent board member trying ot have an imtelligent conversation.

So he got some advice he didn't like, he isn't the only one. Kinda the nature of the beast when it comes to forums.

I really don't have a problem with either of you, infact I think this is a good thread when it comes to understanding. And I hope we can all get along. I am sorry to both of you if I made you feel that I was a guy who has no life, and likes his post count. If I was here for like 3 months and had over 1000 posts I could see that. Not trying to knock on the members who might have that many
:D

ImolaS54
12-21-2003, 10:58 AM
blah blah blah blah blah blah... blah blah blah blah blah blah...

you, sir, have too much time on your hands. and what's the answer to my questions regarding the seats?

Peking
12-21-2003, 11:22 AM
you, sir, have too much time on your hands. and what's the answer to my questions regarding the seats?

Yes I do, since losing my liscense. I just go to work and I go home. When it used to be that my friends and I would go out ever night. Oh well two months to go. I don't have an answer to your seat question.

MrCivic03
12-21-2003, 11:39 AM
im sorry but this is just STUPID... can a mod lock this it is just wastin space. just give up peking he wont ever understand ur situation. i respect peking bc he is older than me, and also he has some good advice. so just give up man, call it a day. PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD...

Peking
12-21-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by MrCivic03
im sorry but this is just STUPID... can a mod lock this it is just wastin space. just give up peking he wont ever understand ur situation. i respect peking bc he is older than me, and also he has some good advice. so just give up man, call it a day. PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD...

Ok, I'm done having fun. I'll ask for this to be locked :)

Type X
12-21-2003, 01:34 PM
i purchased an ebay intake and had it installed tonight... in looking at the design of the factory intake, it looks pretty damn good (as it is in most of the case). There is already a "cold air" scoop. Although the tube between the throttle body and airbox is out of plastic, it is rather short and diameter is rather large unlike the CAI kit.

Overall i am glad i didn't spend that $180 in an AEM, after i purchase my new K&N "X-stream" cone intake i'll still be about $80 ahead of the AEM. And if the AEM intake size is anything like the ebay unit, that's really scary. It's smaller than stock!!!!

after all the bullshit about rice....
glad to see you got a good deal on an intake system for your car

enjoy!

- Mike

02SilverSiHB
12-21-2003, 01:54 PM

LOL, okay man, rice sound uh? and a stock one is better than or the same as the cai? yeah, okay, and you call that rice :rolleyes: check out the dyno numbers man, wake the hell up!