PDA

View Full Version : Impressions of an Injen cold air induction on stock ep...

Hatched1
12-21-2003, 08:11 AM
Hi all,
just installed my Injen CAI last night and figured I would share my thoughts with anyone that might be wonder whether or not to make the purchase. Also to note, I am not real big into modding my car, at least for now as I came from owning several different vettes that had custom suspension, motors, exhuast you name it. Just got tired of all the surprises that come with aftermarket parts:(
Anyway, the install was very easy but the instuctions could have been more detailed and also in color. Only tip really is when grinding the hole to enlarge an extra 1/2" for the breather tube, the photos I thought were a bit vague of which direction the pic was taken so after all is said and done it needs to be cut 1/2" towards the driver side fender and towards the rear. Oh and they say to pull the bumper off??? I have no idea why as you can easily access it all from the inner fender. (I know K-series has an install on there but I just wanted to add that)
Everything came together very nicely and it fired right up. Only problem is after removing the battery it locked my radio which I later found out I don't have the code for...:eek:
And this is the main reason I wrote this....the sound...Its so LOUD!!! I don't plan on getting any aftermarket exhaust but I already feel like I have one. The cool thing is that its only really loud under full throttle and almost normal under all other circumstances.
I didn't really have much chance to feel much for power being there were 3 cops on my one block pulling people over. It did feel like a little more kick when I hit it, but again my attention went from wanting to see a power increase to...WHOA whats the noise coming from my car! My wife covered her ears when it hit 5K. (she was mad at me already for messing with my car:D )
Sorry for such a long thread on something like a CAI but figured it might help newbs! Just remember its not just a slight change in intake tone...it loud, but only when you want it. -Later

HondaMan
12-21-2003, 08:27 AM
I don't think it is that loud at all during WOT. It's actually not as loud as my previous K&N Typhoon SRI. Maybe I'm just use to it the loudness. Any ways, just my $.02 worth.

BTW, I think it is a great/fun mod! :)

TheMutt
12-21-2003, 10:03 AM
Time to get a new wife!

Peking
12-21-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by TheMutt
Time to get a new wife!

LOL, welcome to the site. Glad you like the CAI, give the aftermarket a chance. Just remember, when it comes to some things. You get what you pay for.

Vertigo
12-22-2003, 03:16 AM
One thing that sucks about the Injen design, is the shotty bracket for the fuse box. It only uses two of the six tabs on the fuse box. And wouldn't you know it while i was installing my header. I accidentally leaned on it an broke off the two tabs that hold it on. Either i super glue the tabs back on and hope for the best. Or i could sell the Injen and get the AEM, so the fuse box goes back in the stock location. Lastly, just spend the 185 bucks and buy a new fuse box. It was just a crappy design. They could of easily made the bracket use four of the tabs insted of two.:'(

Gasp23
12-22-2003, 07:00 AM
For the code for your radio look in the glove comparment. It was a sticker on one of the sides inside and it has the code there. :winkm:

Hatched1
12-23-2003, 08:57 AM
thanks, I actually found it under the fuse box lid this morning, funny it was under my nose the whole time during the install.
I will have to be careful not to break the bracket. Thanks guys,:smilem:

aerial
12-23-2003, 08:47 PM
hey as for your wife change her for high a performance one lol:) :)

Hatched1
12-26-2003, 09:18 AM
Actually I went overseas and got her. So I guess shes a "type-R" already. LOL And her latest "mod" is being almost 8 months pregnant! HAHA!:D :smilem:

Well followup impression is overall a great buy for the little egg, the noise it makes is great! Especially the fact that you can vary it with your right foot! Does feel a little bit more opened up in the high end as well.

aerial
12-26-2003, 07:30 PM
thas a good mod id say the best to ur wife but yea cai is agood mod i dnt notice toomuch noise in mine cause i got exhaust cat back dont be surprise if now and then u hear like a fire back intake noise with cai or sri we been having that with our after market intakes not only eps other cars too but is ok noharm to our engines thas what i know

aerial
12-26-2003, 07:31 PM
cause w stock sucks