PDA

View Full Version : Putting an end to Spring Rumor

Zero Three Si
12-21-2003, 10:24 PM
For any of you guys that are going to install your own springs, you DON'T need a spring compressor. You also don't need a tie rod puller.

It's a fairly easy install. Just time consuming. The fronts will take you about an hour and a half. The rears will take you about a 1/2 hour.

Hold up your brake rotors and calipers up with a spair jack stand.

SiRman
12-21-2003, 10:28 PM
Are you suggesting compressing the strut with another jack while it is still bolted to the tower? I'm no expert mechanic but sounds dangerous to me.

bobdobbs
12-21-2003, 10:38 PM
There's lots of ways to skin a cat, 03. How did you R&R the springs?

oldschoolimport
12-21-2003, 10:39 PM
what I do is take off the strut rod nut while the tires are still on and the car is on the ground, and then just jack the car up off the spring. done this a half dozen times with no accidents. the tire keeps the LCA from coming off a stand or jack, and the spring will not be free enough to move until it is free from preload pressure. the home style spring compressors with the fingers and the big bolt between them seems more dangerous to me. I'll do all mine like this, everyone has their own method.

Zero Three Si
12-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by SiRman
Are you suggesting compressing the strut with another jack while it is still bolted to the tower? I'm no expert mechanic but sounds dangerous to me.

That's what all the "weekend warrior mechanic" guys at work told me. I watched the mechanic every step of the way while he installed mine. The thing jumped MAYBE 2 inches if that. You take the whole tower out and just loosen the top bolt holding it in. Spring pretty much makes a small jerk and then you can pull her right out.

SiRman
12-21-2003, 10:44 PM
Interesting.

Zero Three Si
12-21-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by oldschoolimport
the tire keeps the LCA from coming off a stand or jack, and the spring will not be free enough to move until it is free from preload pressure. .

The tire keeps it on? Huh? You lost me man.

Dobbs, what's R&R? release?

cease
12-21-2003, 11:08 PM
thats a good way to do it with out the compressor.

ive taken off the strut with spring, roll it in a piece of rug (like a burrito) make sure the strut can shoot out, and with the electric gun take the bolt off. then watch that strut shoot out

i did this to my rex oh yeah i had a couple of beers in my system. the next day i thought how stupid and dangerous that was:eek:

bobdobbs
12-21-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Zero Three Si
The tire keeps it on? Huh? You lost me man.

Dobbs, what's R&R? release?
Remove & Replace.

I wouldn't do it the way your mechanic did and I wouldn't pay someone to either. The problem is you're not in control of the spring force and when it lets go, it could put stress on other suspension components or damage the inside of the strut tower. Doing it right (with a spring compressor) takes longer, but it's worth the extra effort.

oldschoolimport
12-21-2003, 11:14 PM
The tire keeps it on? Huh? You lost me man.rather than put the lower control arm on a jack stand, leave the tire on the car, remove the strut rod nut, and then jack up the car until the spring no longer has pressure on it. it will then simply come out.

bobdobbs
12-21-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by oldschoolimport
rather than put the lower control arm on a jack stand, leave the tire on the car, remove the strut rod nut, and then jack up the car until the spring no longer has pressure on it. it will then simply come out.
I like that better. Positioning the jack under the wheel hub with a loaded loose spring above it doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

Vertigo
12-22-2003, 03:25 AM
That's how i put my springs on. I just took the top center nut off of the strut and jacked the car up. BTW: I didn't even take my tie rods off of the struts. I just rotated the struts around, slid the sleeves and the springs on and bolted it back together.

NamingException
12-22-2003, 06:54 AM
Bah. The stock front springs are barely compressed at all. The rears are even less so. I'm more worried about clamping my finger in a small spring compressor than a flying piece of metal hitting me in the eye.

Zero Three Si
12-22-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by NamingException
Bah. The stock front springs are barely compressed at all. The rears are even less so. I'm more worried about clamping my finger in a small spring compressor than a flying piece of metal hitting me in the eye.

Exactly. I wouldn't even go as far as saying the stock springs are compressed. Other vehicles, such as a grand marquie may need a spring compressor.

Bob, I really didn't want to pay anyone to do it, but it was 20 degrees in Chicago and I didn't have a heated garage.

andy
12-22-2003, 08:50 AM
No spring compressor on my install, but it was Tein SS and not just
springs. Either way, when I took the tops off the rears, I thought
they'd uncompress and shoot some metal around, but that wasn't the
case.

Only problem was those damn axles...argh.

HondaMan
12-22-2003, 09:08 AM
True, I've stated a few times in the past that the spring compressor is not needed or tie rod puller (just tap the strut's tie rod arm hard with a hammer and it will pop loose).

It's always good to clear up rumors when it comes to the EP's suspension...it's probably the most troublesome mod (potential problems/noises) to do on our cars, mainly because so many of us try to do it.

Siman
12-22-2003, 09:42 AM
its usually for trucks and heavier cars and vans that need compressors. the heavier springs are thicker and hold more pressure. Kenetic energy, remember???

I used compressors just in case....but you dont need them!

Zero Three Si
12-22-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Siman
its usually for trucks and heavier cars and vans that need compressors. the heavier springs are thicker and hold more pressure. Kenetic energy, remember???

I used compressors just in case....but you dont need them!

Exactly, yes we all complain that our car weighs so much (2600lbs).
Well springs for a Toyota 4 runner I could totally see a spring compressor being used. The damn thing weights 5700lbs.

02SilverSiHB
12-22-2003, 12:19 PM
For any of you guys that are going to install your own springs, you DON'T need a spring compressor. You also don't need a tie rod puller.

It's a fairly easy install. Just time consuming. The fronts will take you about an hour and a half. The rears will take you about a 1/2 hour.

Hold up your brake rotors and calipers up with a spair jack stand.
true you don't really need any of those, take a bit more time, but it can be done without it.

!@#$%
12-23-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
Remove & Replace.

I wouldn't do it the way your mechanic did and I wouldn't pay someone to either. The problem is you're not in control of the spring force and when it lets go, it could put stress on other suspension components or damage the inside of the strut tower. Doing it right (with a spring compressor) takes longer, but it's worth the extra effort.

after reading this, I'm glad that I took the extra time and used compressors. I will be using them again when I get shocks.

And another thing, cost for tools makes no difference seeing how you can rent them and get 100% of the deposit back upon return. Free tools are great. It's win/win.

Zero Three Si
12-23-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Bobdobbs
Remove & Replace.

Originally posted by !@#$%
after reading this, I'm glad that I took the extra time and used compressors. I will be using them again when I get shocks.

And another thing, cost for tools makes no difference seeing how you can rent them and get 100% of the deposit back upon return. Free tools are great. It's win/win.

DOBBS IS WRONG!!!:p
FINALLY I GET TO CORRECT HIM FOR A CHANGE

!@#$%
12-23-2003, 11:00 AM
I'm the kind of person who would rather pull the part out to work on it and not wiggle and spin things that are still hooked up. It is like trying to install motor mount inserts without taking the mounts completely out. Complete pain in the ass.

02SilverSiHB
12-23-2003, 11:13 AM
I really don't see a need for the spring compressor on our springs...as for messing up parts, I can't see that happening either...now if you leave the strut on the tie rod while taking the springs out, yeah, you stand a chance of screwing something up. But when you have the strut out...all I have to do is push down a little to get the nut loose, un screw it and take everything apart...I guess I'm just sooooo strong :D

bobdobbs
12-23-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
I guess I'm just sooooo strong :D
Well, yeah, dude, you're huge. But for wimpy boys like me, I use the right tools. They're free. ;)

bobdobbs
12-23-2003, 11:49 AM
DOBBS IS WRONG!!!:p
FINALLY I GET TO CORRECT HIM FOR A CHANGE
You do NOT get to correct me. When you do it YOURSELF, then you can correct me! :p

Zero Three Si
12-23-2003, 12:05 PM
You do NOT get to correct me. When you do it YOURSELF, then you can correct me! :p

Did you forget who started this thread MISTER WEINER???????:p

bobdobbs
12-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Did you forget who started this thread MISTER WEINER???????:p
Yeah, you WATCHED somebody do it. That's not the same as DOING IT YOURSELF. When you do it YOURSELF without screwing something up, come talk to me. Until then, I'll do it the right way. MYSELF. :p :p :p

I can't wait to hear you whine that your springs are squeaking or you've got clunking noises in your front suspension because you paid some clown to change your springs without using the right tools. I'm gonna LAUGH... :D :D :D

02SilverSiHB
12-23-2003, 01:29 PM
you guys are killing me :confused: :rolleyes:

bobdobbs
12-23-2003, 01:51 PM
you guys are killing me :confused: :rolleyes:
Then why not post one of those hee-larious custom emoticons? :p

02SilverSiHB
12-23-2003, 02:21 PM
Then why not post one of those hee-larious custom emoticons? :p
LOL, I know, I've been lazy http://a9.cpimg.com/image/E7/72/26390759-ff66-004B004B-.jpg

Zero Three Si
12-23-2003, 02:25 PM
Yeah, you WATCHED somebody do it. That's not the same as DOING IT YOURSELF. When you do it YOURSELF without screwing something up, come talk to me. Until then, I'll do it the right way. MYSELF. :p :p :p

I can't wait to hear you whine that your springs are squeaking or you've got clunking noises in your front suspension because you paid some clown to change your springs without using the right tools. I'm gonna LAUGH... :D :D :D

Oh go ride your 1954 ten speed...:p :cool: :*

bobdobbs
12-23-2003, 02:27 PM
LOL, I know, I've been lazy http://a9.cpimg.com/image/E7/72/26390759-ff66-004B004B-.jpg
Thank you. I miss those.

bobdobbs
12-23-2003, 02:27 PM
Oh go ride your 1954 ten speed...:p :cool: :*
Jealous? :cool:

Zero Three Si
12-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Jealous? :cool:

My must evil keep coming back...it just won't die...:D

HondaMan