PDA

View Full Version : The Ep was born free, but was trapped. Did it harm my car?

snubnose
12-24-2003, 04:55 AM
Yesterday, after washing and waxing my black hatch for the winter, I took it out when there should have been little traffic. It was about 1:45 pm. However, there were two tractor trailers on fire on I 95 and two lanes were blocked.

I sat in stop and go traffic for at least an hour. I don't think I've ever used the clutch so much. I'm worried that this type of severe use placed a lot of wear and tear on my car. My Ep was so unhappy sitting there blocked because it wanted to run free. It was frustrating as hell.

Did it hurt the car? I couldn't believe how well the Si behaved int the traffic jam. The temp level stayed low and it idled silently.

STP03BlueSI
12-24-2003, 05:23 AM
Thats normal for me driving up and down US19(esp this damn week).

No damage, cars are built for stop and go traffic

goy091
12-24-2003, 05:28 AM
haha, naw man. im pretty sure your car is fine. stop and go is bad for your car but it's not something that will kill it, it's normal wear and tear for a car.:D

Peking
12-24-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by goy091
haha, naw man. im pretty sure your car is fine. stop and go is bad for your car but it's not something that will kill it, it's normal wear and tear for a car.:D

Yes, don't worry so much. Just keep up with regular maintenence, keep her in good shape :)

mhx
12-24-2003, 08:30 AM
wtf its a new car, are you a moron?

Peking
12-24-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by mhx

Hey that's not nice, he was just worried.

Loudpedal
12-24-2003, 08:38 AM
No worries man. Multiple times every winter I spend hours in stop and go traffic in sub zero weather, idling along in 1st gear, clutching hundreds of times. The car is never worse for wear.

priest6479
12-24-2003, 08:39 AM
I sit in Traffic Every morning on Route10 in Jersey, everyone is headed towards NYC in the morn, so it's stop and go the whole way, just take it easy and keep with the maintenance and you will be fine.

civicracer1128
12-24-2003, 08:45 AM
i thought the same thing after i sat in traffic for 5 hours on my way back from jersey one time but my car was fine.

priest6479
12-24-2003, 08:48 AM
5 Hours????? Damn you got lucky!

blacksihatch
12-24-2003, 08:50 AM
Naw you should be fine. Driving in traffic only hurts you, not the car

mrfixit687
12-24-2003, 10:19 AM
actually, traffic driving puts more wear on your clutch, because you keep going in first gear having to slip the clutch and stuff, so its more wear than normal, because practically the most wear on your clutch is starting off from first gear anyway. but dont worry about it clutches are wear items and are meant to be replaced

civicSIracer
12-24-2003, 10:23 AM
just a quick question.. how old are you?

BluePearl03Si
12-24-2003, 09:19 PM
The only bad thing about Manuals is driving in traffic jams.

It is wear and tear, but it's not gonna burn your clutch out. I'm used to stop and go on I-5, Portland has awful traffic (Because they won't widen the freeways, they want people to take the MAX, which would be fine, if the MAX went to fucking Vancouver, which it doesn't).

How about this, make sure no cops are around and impress the traffic jam crowd with a big, phatty burnout. :D

BlackNRedSi
12-24-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by mhx

dude...STFU!

and to answer the question, your good man...just regular wear on the car...dont worry...if your that upset about her...go get a 300 dollar beater car, and use your ep for less driving

merry xmas !

eric

BlackNRedSi
12-24-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by mhx

dude...STFU!

and to answer the question, your good man...just regular wear on the car...dont worry...if your that upset about her...go get a 300 dollar beater car, and use your ep for less driving

merry xmas !

eric