PDA

View Full Version : Hi Guys

Miranda
12-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Can you guys help me? I want to lower my car a bit and I was wondering what kind of springs to get... I would love to hear your thoughts. I don't know much about this stuff but I love my little car.

andy
12-24-2003, 10:32 AM
Eibach, H&R and Progress would be my top options for lowering
the car for cheap. Keep in mind you might blow the stock shocks
in a fairly short period of time (1 year or so). If you have the
$$$, get full coilovers - the Mugens and Teins are excellent choices
there.

fsugatorbait
12-24-2003, 11:19 AM
To answer your question, there are more than a few choices when it comes to lowering your car. To help you pick the best option, tell us what you plan to do with the car, how much of a drop you are looking for, and your price range and we'll be able to give you a better idea. :)
Welcome aboard cutie. ;)

sniperSI
12-24-2003, 11:25 AM
Here comes another 400 post "welcome" thread.

what up shorty.

Also any springs will work, neuspeed, tien, H&r, it all depends on how low you want to go, either way, in 30,000 miles prepare for a nice rough ride.

I have neuspeed personaly, they work just fine for the 1.5inchs of drop i wanted.

chibianh
12-24-2003, 11:30 AM
Nice pic! EP girls are hot. I have yet to see one that isn't. Anyway, I guess I don't have much advice for springs. I'm saving up for the Mugen suspension myself. If there are any questions, just ask. Most of the guys (and gals) on here are pretty cool. Just don't ask them what intake is the best or what exhaust is the best... they'll jump all over u ;)

Miranda
12-24-2003, 11:31 AM
The guy at the tire shop said that he thought the stock shocks on the car were great and that I could lower the car and get better handling with Eibach Pro kit springs. He said that they are not too low and that they would be a dramatic improvement without going too low. What do you think?

fsugatorbait
12-24-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Miranda
The guy at the tire shop said that he thought the stock shocks on the car were great and that I could lower the car and get better handling with Eibach Pro kit springs. He said that they are not too low and that they would be a dramatic improvement without going too low. What do you think?

The prokits will drop you around an inch and give you the longest life out of your stock shocks. Sounds like the guy you talked to at the tire shop knew a little about what he was talking about.

sniperSI
12-24-2003, 11:50 AM
Yeah, but if you can stand the height, the stock setup is the best IMO. I noticed little if any performance gains by droping my car. I know they say it lowers the center of gravity and all that shit, but on this platform, i really don't think it makes a night and day differance.

pedzola
http://webpages.charter.net/pedzola/images/kittenwave.gif
Hello Miranda :*

What color EP do you have? :D I too am thinking about lowering, but I was going to save up for the whole deal and get the Mugen suspension (which comes w/specially matched springs & shocks) rather than get just springs on the stock shocks. But lots of ppl around seem to be doing fine on stock shocks. All I know is the car needs a drop pretty bad. :confused:

Welcome to EPHatch. :D

SiR Medic
Originally posted by sniperSI
Here comes another 400 post "welcome" thread.

:smilem: Yup... You'll have to excuse us guys here Miranda... Lots of lonely guys post here...:winkm:

As Andy said, getting springs alone will result in failed shocks after a year of use. Many on this site prefer the full coil-overs like Tein Basic Dampers or KW coilover kits. You might be able to get away with the cheaper "sleave" coil over kits like the Skunk2 and Ground Control these give you the option of adjusting the height to your personal taste.

The non-adjustable Mugen set-up is arguably the best for handling and it has a good drop. Mugen is also THE name in Honda aftermarket parts. The only trouble is, it is about the same price as the Tein Basic Dampers, which are adjustable.

If all you are interested in is a slight drop, go with either lowering springs or sleeve coilovers. You then have the choice as to whether get an aftermarket shock (like the Tokico yellows) now or later.

Good luck and welcome to the site!:cool:

sniperSI
12-24-2003, 12:12 PM
lol, don't make me pilage the

" Post your funny pics! **work warning**"

Thread ;3)

pedzola
12-24-2003, 12:20 PM
We shouldn't expose Miranda to these sorts of things, she won't ever come back. Plus, it's Christmas, so we should forget our differences and be happy.
http://webpages.charter.net/pedzola/images/smileys/bier.gif

Merry Christmas Sniper. :D

Miranda
12-24-2003, 12:21 PM
I have heard of Mugen... they are into racing in F1 aren't they? Do I really need the shocks too or can I just get the Eibach spring? By the way, my SI is black...

pedzola
12-24-2003, 12:31 PM
Oooohhh mine is black too. We should hang out sometime. :*

I don't know about F1 racing but I know Mugen = Sweet for any Honda. Regarding the shocks thing... I think it is the general concensus that the stock shocks will be good for a time, but eventually they will blow if the car is lowered significantly. Whether that time is a couple years or a couple months, I don't know.

If you want the best performance the Mugen Suspension is the top choice for many of us. Cost is about $1k.

http://webpages.charter.net/pedzola/car/Mugen_Sports_Suspension.jpg

But, if you get the 1" drop you were talking about your stock shocks will most likely last quite a while - that isn't extreme at all. Springs = a couple hundred bucks.

Sort of a fuzzy answer, but there is no definitive "you should get this" for this particular question. Hope that helped... :cool:

fsugatorbait
12-24-2003, 12:33 PM
I have heard of Mugen... they are into racing in F1 aren't they? Do I really need the shocks too or can I just get the Eibach spring? By the way, my SI is black...

With the eibach springs your stock shocks will probably last a year. Right now there is only one company (koni) that makes an aftermarket shock, but they require you to hack up your stock front shocks for them to fit. A couple companies have been in R&D for our shocks for what seems like the last year and they should be released hopefully in early 04. For now, you'll be safe by just swapping the springs.
If you have anyother questions just ask, oh and to answer your sig, you got one right here. ;)

Zero Three Si
12-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Go with H&R springs.

Miranda
12-25-2003, 06:24 AM
You guys are crazy! I think I'll get the Eibach pro kit springs for now and if the stock shocks wear out I'll look at those Mugens - if I can afford it. Thanks again...

M

Zero Three Si
12-25-2003, 09:36 AM
You guys are crazy! I think I'll get the Eibach pro kit springs for now and if the stock shocks wear out I'll look at those Mugens - if I can afford it. Thanks again...

M

You'll spend 100 dollars less and your drop will be better with the H&R's. Have you seen the pics of my drop yet?

Vertigo
12-25-2003, 03:10 PM
Woohh! You mean to tell me that there are girls on the internet!
Believe Zero Three! Whatever he says is the truth.

SiR_d1
12-25-2003, 03:47 PM
I honestly dont believe having the pro kits would have any real effect on your shocks than would your stock springs. Lowering a car an inch is about the same drop to a CTR, so the shocks should have teh same life expectancy even if you were to stick with your stock height.

Everyone so far who has the pro kits says their shocks are still holding up, but it's still too soon to tell. I'm riding on TEINS and my shock are still ok:D

2003EPHatch
12-25-2003, 05:13 PM
Welcome to EPHatch.

Like mentioned any full suspension setups (Tein SS, Tein Basic, Mugen) are the way to go if you have the funds to support it. H&R, Tein, Progress, Neuspeed would probably be about your best bet for a reasonable price.

Nice pic must add. Either way, Welcome again.

X 2KS2K
12-25-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by SiR_d1
I honestly dont believe having the pro kits would have any real effect on your shocks than would your stock springs. Lowering a car an inch is about the same drop to a CTR, so the shocks should have teh same life expectancy even if you were to stick with your stock height.

Everyone so far who has the pro kits says their shocks are still holding up, but it's still too soon to tell. I'm riding on TEINS and my shock are still ok:D

I have had the pro kits for over a year now and no problems yet. They did make a noticeable difference in the way the car moved/handled and looked of course. I always thought that we had the same shocks as the type-r, if so, what SiR_d1 posted should hold true. The shocks should have the same life expectancy with the pro kit as they do with the stock setup. Anyone know for sure?

myeverlovinsir
12-25-2003, 09:16 PM
I always thought that we had the same shocks as the type-r

Yes we do, they are Showa shocks and I have been running the Eibach pro-kits for about 7 months now, I even blew a tire over a median on the 17's and the stock Showa's are holding true. Good choice on the Pro-kits, part show, part go, part longevity.;)

sterlingSi
12-25-2003, 09:25 PM
you all are forgetting the whole area of coilovers that we all druel over.
THe KW, JIC, Mugen, and the Tein FLEX kits are by far the best kits available. if we're talking true suspension management. Mugen being the most sensible for an everyday driver. as for you, persay i think you should list what you plan on doing to your car and what your driving habits are, with that it would be easier to choose the best suspension setup for you.

oogy-boogy
12-26-2003, 09:09 AM
Holy OT.....:eek:

Well, anyways to get back to your Q...I love my Eibachs and would recommend them to anyone else. Great ride (close to stock) and much better handling..

YssSI
12-26-2003, 09:55 AM
On-Topic: Eibach is THE best spring company out there. You can not go wrong with their product. I would recommend you look at going with the sportline kit though. Probably 90% of my customers that went with less of a drop (prokit) came back within 6 months and wanted to go lower (sportlines). I am not just talking about SI's. Our cars sit up pretty high from factory. A 2" drop will not be as extreme as some people will claim.

Miranda
12-26-2003, 10:42 AM
My dad gave me the money to buy the Eibach springs for Christmas - yeaaaaah!!!:D

Zero Three Si
12-26-2003, 11:04 AM
My dad gave me the money to buy the Eibach springs for Christmas - yeaaaaah!!!:D

Cool...hopefully you'll put pics up of the CAR! hehehe

Good luck!

Peking
12-26-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by pedzola

Also, what is NOPI? No clue...

http://www.nopi.com/2003/default.htm

02SilverSiHB
12-26-2003, 11:38 AM
that sounds about right, I think that is probably what you are looking for, it's a small drop, not too much

02SilverSiHB
12-26-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by pedzola
Oooohhh mine is black too. We should hang out sometime. :*

I don't know about F1 racing but I know Mugen = Sweet for any Honda. Regarding the shocks thing... I think it is the general concensus that the stock shocks will be good for a time, but eventually they will blow if the car is lowered significantly. Whether that time is a couple years or a couple months, I don't know.

If you want the best performance the Mugen Suspension is the top choice for many of us. Cost is about $1k.

http://webpages.charter.net/pedzola/car/Mugen_Sports_Suspension.jpg

But, if you get the 1" drop you were talking about your stock shocks will most likely last quite a while - that isn't extreme at all. Springs = a couple hundred bucks.

Sort of a fuzzy answer, but there is no definitive "you should get this" for this particular question. Hope that helped... :cool:
then again, this is a better idea Miranda, if you have the money, you could have a great ride and not worry about shocks going bad. The install is pretty easy, hopefully you have someone that can do it for you if you can't yourself, that way it will save you money, also, you can use this pic for your avatar, just save it to your computer then go into your usercp to change your avatar, you can upload it from your computer
http://a8.cpimg.com/image/CA/06/27625418-0955-00640064-.jpg

02SilverSiHB
12-26-2003, 04:34 PM
from 6 to 3 pages, hope you guys don't mind, but it was becoming off topic material ;)

pedzola
12-26-2003, 04:38 PM
:mad:

CywiththeblkSi
12-26-2003, 04:39 PM
Go Eibach Pro-kits and Koni Yellows, that's what I got, looks good, ride not too much tighter than stock but a lot less body roll.

As for stocks vs springs, if you're having a shop do the install you might as well get it done right the first time because if you have to replace the shocks down the road, you'll being paying labor twice for essentially the same install.

Feliz Navidad.

NamingException
12-26-2003, 06:15 PM
What the fuck? Because she's a girl she gets all sorts of special treatment? I know you're trying to be a good moderator or whatever, but somehow I don't think that this thread would have turned out the same if Miranda was some random guy.

02SilverSiHB
12-26-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by NamingException
What the fuck? Because she's a girl she gets all sorts of special treatment? I know you're trying to be a good moderator or whatever, but somehow I don't think that this thread would have turned out the same if Miranda was some random guy.
okay, you little whiney brat. There were two other people that posted that this topic was off topic, so I took the liberty of changine it...I consider myself to mod the suspension and engine forums the most...is there some other post you feel hasn't got special treatment?
For your information...I don't find white chicks attractive, I'm into the dark skin and latino, I would have made it a damn sticky if I wanted to give special treatment.
No go grap some tissue you freaking whiner.