PDA

View Full Version : my thoughts on neuspeed ss. long!!!!

styllinep3
12-24-2003, 10:38 AM
ok its been about 2 months now since i've taken off my ss. now i bought this back in like april and, used it for about 4 months. when i first got it i loved it but, after a few months the notchy shift got so bad that i couldn't stand shifting anymore.

i thought that mabye it was cause of those rubber bushing and, the ss didnt match well with them. so i put in aluminum shifter house bushings and, believe it or not that made things worst with the ss. so i felt that i was starting to do more damage then good to the tranny. that and, i couldn't slam gears at all without miss shifting or grinding. so i took it out and sold it .

like i said its been like 2 months without the ss and, just the bushings. im starting to really like this shifter setup. the ep has nice throws already just to loose with the rubber bushings. the aluminum bushings tighten it up just right. the notchy throws have all most totally disappeared to. which is saying alot cause, after the ss they got worst then they were stock.

most of u are probably saying we know this already. so my point is that i don't think the neuspeed short shift is that great for our tranies over a peroid of time . well at least not as a daily driver. i think its because its an adapter and, not a replacement shifter. anyone else have any thought about this or, have a simliar experience with this

gabe

neuspeedcivic
12-24-2003, 11:12 AM
I own the car that was originally used for the R&D on the Neuspeed SS kit. It's my second car (my daily driver is a pickup) but I've put 5,000 miles on the NS shifter now. It all boils down to how the shifter feels to you. Ultimately, your transmission doesn't know the difference. Bushings, SS kits, etc do not affect the internal workings of the trans as long as the cables continue to move the same distance. The selector shaft of the tranny still move the same amount, and that makes the shift forks inside the tranny move back and forth the same distance.

You are not damaging your transmission because the EP3 Civic shifter is mounted totally seperate from the transmission. If you owned a Mustang 5.0 or some other car where the shift lever enters directly into the transmission case, that would be a different story. But basically you could put your car in neutral, hammer away all day on your EP3 shift lever and not cause any damage to your tranny because the only thing connecting the two is those cables.

The NS kit requires more arm effort because the leverage ratio of the shifter has been altered to shorten the throw length. So, it's not a "free lunch." Yes, the distance between gears at the shift lever is shorter, but you have to exert a little more force with your arm to move between gears.

I like the shorter throw and I don't mind the extra arm effort required to go from gear-to-gear. But I think it all boils down to exactly that. If you don't like the heavier feel of the NS shifter, then maybe bushings alone are a better option.

-Gdub-

styllinep3
12-24-2003, 11:26 AM
hey thanks for the break down man. couldnt have asked for anymore. like u said i guess its all up to what feels right to u . i just didnt like the notchyness it caused but, the shorter throw were great. mabye if it was my second car i could have dealt with it but , as a daily driver i couldnt. in the mornings when it was cold it was horrilbe. i put about 6-8000 miles on my ss. anyway glad u wrote up such a great answer

thanks gabe

eurosteez
12-24-2003, 12:02 PM
I've had it in for a few months now. I kinda forgot its there. I still grind 1st occasionaly but I did that without the SS too. I like the way it is a lttle harder to throw.

styllinep3
12-24-2003, 12:13 PM
i for sure couldnt forget it was there but , i guess its a matter of opinion. good luck with it

SHAKEnBAKE
12-24-2003, 05:39 PM
Hmm.. That's interesting. I had it for about 7 months now, still working & shifting accurately. And I do abuse it quite alot (canyon driving).

eurosteez
12-24-2003, 06:14 PM
reckon its just preference eh?

rs_1101
12-24-2003, 09:36 PM
yea.. its preference. i like the ep shifter as it is, alot of people think i already have a shortshifter. its a good throw, alittle shorter than most cars. lol, try shifting a mt accord! lol. the shifter feels like its 2 feet long!
imo a shortshifter is a matter of preference, but i wouldnt reccomend installing one... that money can be better spent.

03EP3Si
12-24-2003, 11:52 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmm..... Interesting......