PDA

View Full Version : What is so good about a full coilover suspention?

Rey
12-24-2003, 10:59 PM
I am a newb when it comes to suspention. I know if you drop your car via springs or coil overs you where out your shocks.

With a full coilover suspention your shocks don't wear out???

I am totally confused here. Is it worth the 600+ dollars for it???:confusem: :confusem: :confusem: :confusem: :confusem: :confusem:

C1V1C
12-25-2003, 12:35 AM
He he, I was the same as you, but I read a lot and figured out something. So please let anyone know if I am right or wrong.

Aftermarket Spring + Stock Shock = You'll have shorter spring, but your shocks do not travel like it supposed to (shorter distance). It may bottom out if you hit something deep.

Coilover = mostly it is only a compressed spring in a sleeve and the shock goes into this sleeve, so same thing as aftermarket spring, but you can adjust the height of the vehicle.

Full Coilover = you have a new shock with a better setup of spring, which you can adjust. so the shock is design according to that spring, of course this will work a lot better, especially in the long run.

also, you may need to consider the damping factor of the shock and the spring length and stiffness. These variables will affect the frequency of the wheel going up and down.

that's what I learn so far. (I do not have a teacher, just read here) hehehe :)

Peking
12-25-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by C1V1C

1)Aftermarket Spring + Stock Shock = You'll have shorter spring, but your shocks do not travel like it supposed to (shorter distance). It may bottom out if you hit something deep.

2)Coilover = mostly it is only a compressed spring in a sleeve and the shock goes into this sleeve, so same thing as aftermarket spring, but you can adjust the height of the vehicle.

3)Full Coilover = you have a new shock with a better setup of spring, which you can adjust. so the shock is design according to that spring, of course this will work a lot better, especially in the long run.

Your pretty much hit the nail on the head.
#1, true. Don't let that stop you. This is the cheapest way to go, and will get done what you want. Bottoming out is harder than you think, or stock shocks will handle fine for a while. Look to replace them after a year or so.
#2 Cost alittle more, gives you the freedom to adjust. Just don't go to low, or you will be hurting. Depending on how low you go, depends on the life of your shocks.
#3 Best choice, most expensive. Many folks are very happy with this set-up.

Hope you don't mind that I added some to your reply.

VividDreams
12-28-2003, 01:05 PM
i personally think that coil-overs are overrated. i know a guy that has an eclipse with coilovers and he said theyre a waste of money. he said that you dont really change the height much cause its a pain in the ass.

basicly, just look for pics of different cars and look for the drop you like with the same size wheels/tires as you're lookin to use. once you know what kind of drop you want, look around till you find the springs that will drop it the amount you want. then find a good price and there ya go

good luck

Civicvtec1ps
12-28-2003, 03:12 PM
Ive had tein ss for couple months on my 02 ex. Worth every penny.
Adjusting height as VERY easy.
I have tein s tech springs on si now. I am planning to get fullcoilovers eventually. unless tokico come out with cheap aftermarket shocks.

C1V1C
12-28-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by VividDreams
i personally think that coil-overs are overrated. i know a guy that has an eclipse with coilovers and he said theyre a waste of money. he said that you dont really change the height much cause its a pain in the ass.

Do we have to check the alignment again after we change the height ? I assume all 4 points are changed into the same level.

Sorry, I don't own one :)

Thanks

Suk02Si
12-29-2003, 12:29 PM
Coil overs are mainly used to corner balance the car. Someone who buys it solely for 'slamming' the car bought them for the wrong reasons.

BlasTech
12-29-2003, 01:12 PM
I went with full coilovers (JIC-Magic).

Now I can:

1.) adjust my height to what I want (just high enough to get into the parking garage),

2.) get more front negative camber for autocrossing

3.) preload the rear springs to corner-weight the car (can adjust the height independent of spring load)

4.) adjust any of the above if I feel its neccessary (maybe once a year, when I get my annual alignment)

5.) adjust the dampers for a softer ride on the street, and a firm ride on the track

6.) know that my dampers wont go poo-poo one day because of my springs.

Burgh
01-05-2004, 05:19 PM
I think it really depends on what you plan on doing with the car. For most people who just want to lower the car for looks, 'real' coilovers are a waste of money IMO. If you plan on racing the car competitively, then they're definitely worth it (for all the reasons that Blastech mentioned).

Kis4KEN
01-06-2004, 10:54 PM
but can't the shocks that come with the full coilover still wear out, then wut do you do?
say i bought the tein basics... and 24,000 miles down the road, my shocks or "dampers" wear out, what would you do then?

SiR_d1
01-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Burgh
I think it really depends on what you plan on doing with the car. For most people who just want to lower the car for looks, 'real' coilovers are a waste of money IMO. If you plan on racing the car competitively, then they're definitely worth it (for all the reasons that Blastech mentioned).

my thoughts exactly. Springs are just fine for cruising, but I dont recommend them if your a serious racer or into Autox

BlasTech
01-07-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Kis4KEN
but can't the shocks that come with the full coilover still wear out, then wut do you do?
say i bought the tein basics... and 24,000 miles down the road, my shocks or "dampers" wear out, what would you do then?

Tien FLex's are re-build-able, and the basic damper might be too.

If they are, you send them to Tien, they re-valve them, and send them back, and it's supposed to cost much less than replacement. But I would think they should last much longer under normal driving conditions.

Have you called Tien? Are they under warranty?