PDA

View Full Version : Camber kit question *REALLY STUPID*

Whiteboy
12-25-2003, 12:03 AM
Sorry for making you all dumber by having to read this, but what can I say, I'm a noob.

I'll be getting Mugen suspension soon. Am I supposed to get a camber kit to be installed at the same time the suspension is installed? Or do I get my car aligned and then the camber kit installed by the place that did the alignment? Oh god, I can't wait until my car is lowered.

Civicvtec1ps
12-25-2003, 02:29 AM
Install camber kit when you install mugen suspension. You can install both at same time.

BlasTech
12-25-2003, 08:53 AM
Some tips about installing a rear camber kit:

1. Harbor frieght sells device that is called an angle finder.. its like $5.00 and it can be used to get close withing a half-degree of your desired camber. basically you can put it up to your wheel (with a board to make it flat) and it will tell you approxamately what degree you have... ideally, you will want somewhere between 0 and -1, but NOT any positive.

2. When you install the kit, there is a main bolt that goes through the busing. You will want to use a jack stand, so you have your jack free to raise the rear assembly up ('loading' the suspension) before you tighten it to ~43ft.-lbs.

3. The upper bolts for the rear are best accessed with a 14mm DEEP socket and a 8" extension...also 43lbs.

Vertigo
12-25-2003, 03:14 PM
Those are all good pointers. After you get all of the work(springs and camber kit) done, have it four-point aligned.

Si Death
12-25-2003, 03:49 PM
im a nub in sort of the same situation, if ive never done any isntalls whatever, best to take to shop right? or will they try to rape me in price?

Brettnyt
12-25-2003, 03:54 PM
Yeah man, take it to a shop... Im gunna take mine in to get camber and springs installed (just got SPC front and rear camber kit today) Its gunna cost me 200$...

Vertigo
12-25-2003, 04:10 PM
I'm one of those guys who if i can't install it, i don't buy it. Some of us enjoy working on our cars. Also, i have friends in low places to help me with installing those "big" jobs.:D

Whiteboy
12-25-2003, 05:57 PM
Yeah I installed my catback and AEM CAI but coilovers I really don't want to mess up, so I'll let the pros do it. I know a great shop that will do it for $100.

civic hatch boi
12-26-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Brettnyt
Yeah man, take it to a shop... Im gunna take mine in to get camber and springs installed (just got SPC front and rear camber kit today) Its gunna cost me 200$...

$200!!! whoa mama! that's hecka money! just install it urself and save some money!! i got my springs installed and alignment for $30!!

EP3ME
12-26-2003, 04:38 PM
Depending on the degree of drop, you might not even need a chamber kit. Mugen might have developed this set up without the need for dramatic adjustments. The bottom line is that you can't possibly know if you'll need a chamber kit until you put the car up on an allignment machine and check to see how far out of spec it is.

Brettnyt
12-26-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
$200!!! whoa mama! that's hecka money! just install it urself and save some money!! i got my springs installed and alignment for $30!!

Im getting camber (front and rear), springs, intake and exhaust on for 270$

Civicvtec1ps
12-26-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Brettnyt
Im getting camber (front and rear), springs, intake and exhaust on for 270$
Blah, you can install yourself. Save some cash.
Just pay for alignment.

Brettnyt
12-26-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
Blah, you can install yourself. Save some cash.
Just pay for alignment.

Parents want everything professionally done... :(