PDA

View Full Version : If our car takes 4.5 quarts of oil.....

snubnose
12-26-2003, 03:55 PM
Then the service techs who change the oil will only put 4 quarts in, right? They wouldn't open 5 quarts and waste that extra half of quart, would they?

In that case, our cars are 1/2 a quart low leaving the dealership that changed the oil, right?

andy
12-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by snubnose
Then the service techs who change the oil will only put 4 quarts in, right? They wouldn't open 5 quarts and waste that extra half of quart, would they?

In that case, our cars are 1/2 a quart low leaving the dealership that changed the oil, right?

Haha...who says they use quart bottles at the dealership? /me thinks
they more than likely use gallon jugs, or even larger tubs and a
pump of some sort.

snubnose
12-26-2003, 04:01 PM
Maybe so at a Jiffy Lube, or any other oil change place, but I watched the techs at my Honda dealership put Honda brand quart bottles in my engine.

nyxie
12-26-2003, 04:06 PM
my honda dealership uses castrol gtx and it comes from this magical box in the ceiling and is poured into the engine via a long hose and nozzle. :)

if you saw them open and pour 4 bottles into the engine when they did your oil change and they didn't open a 5th and our engines take 4.5 quarts, then it is safe to say that you most likely left the oil change place a 1/2 a quart low.

SiRman
12-26-2003, 04:10 PM
Why didn't you bring it up with the service advisor before you left the dealership?

snubnose
12-26-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by SiRman
Why didn't you bring it up with the service advisor before you left the dealership?

Four quarts will put the oil level between the two dots on the dipstick, only at the lower 25% of the two dots. This is acceptable, so I didn't argue. Adding another 1/2 quart will put the level at the upper 75% of the two dots.

younggotti266
12-26-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by nyxie
my honda dealership uses castrol gtx and it comes from this magical box in the ceiling and is poured into the engine via a long hose and nozzle. :)

I believe this is how its done at about 99.9% of dealer ships..

The dealerships buy in large quantities
which = lower cost of oil

03SiBlack
12-26-2003, 08:22 PM
they have a little cart that has wheels that has the drain pan on it but i didnt see where the oil goes in. I got my oil changed today took an hour and a half and i was the first person on line this morning. Also loved the way the tech left engine oil all over the engine and didnt clean it up. I did get a "complementary" car wash though.

mental
12-26-2003, 09:01 PM
shit thats nothing honda didnt put my oil filter in tight enought and when i left the dealer ship about 2 or 3 miles down the road my motor started lagging and almost dieing then the CEL came on so i pulled over to check it and the dam filter had fallen off... i called honda had it towed and the most they did for me was pay for the tow,oil change, and a free detail! now thats some bull shit! i know i did some permanent damage to it in the brief period with out a filter cuz now when i race other si i get my ass handed to me by like a car!!! that just shouldnt happen! honda should replace my motor or car for that matter but they wont...
but i guess you live you learn then you get SKOOB STI

BluePearl03Si
12-26-2003, 10:52 PM
The dealer tried to bait me into admitting I raced when I asked for synthetic, he said "We only think synthetic is needed for racing and heavy towing applications". Hillarious......

If you want synthetic, do it yourself, or bring your own quarts in if they let you.

They will pour 5W30 in instead of twenty because they don't have it (And don't tell you they don't have it) and reduce your performance and gas mileage.

My dealer uses Mobil1 for synthetic and Valvoline for Dino Oil, and they also violate the manuals own specs for oil.

31102si
12-28-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by younggotti266
I believe this is how its done at about 99.9% of dealer ships..

The dealerships buy in large quantities
which = lower cost of oil

This also saves them time from having to open up bottles of oil.

priest6479
12-29-2003, 10:52 AM
Mental....Same thing happened to my friend my friends Nissan Frontier, he eneded up driving home from Englishtown and the engine just shut off, turns out he went quite a distance without oil, there was a big debate but they ended up replacing the engine, and it was the dealerships fault.

03EP3Si
12-29-2003, 11:46 AM
LOL!! 4.5 quarts of Oil huh lol. Ive been putting in 5 quarts ever since i got the car. holy shizel lol. but my car runs beautifully with 5 quarts in it so i cant be the bad right? lol

2.0L Monster
12-29-2003, 03:33 PM
Honda reccomonds 4.4 quarts +/- .5 quarts so you would be a litle over, but .1 quarts of oil doesn't make a difference.

todaCspec
12-30-2003, 01:23 PM
Our car takes 5 quarts of oil. Manual says 4.65 ish but you want it up to the second line. 4 quarts brings up to the first line on the oil dip stick.

sintax02si
12-30-2003, 02:19 PM
I've been putting in 5 qts every oil change. No problems.

motomoron
01-06-2004, 09:00 AM
On an oil/filter change, if you add 4 quarts, then start the engine to pressurize the oiling system, shut it off, then wait 10 minutes to check the oil level (while you clean up the oily mess in your driveway) you'll find that (on level ground) it takes essentially another full quart to put the oil level at the top mark. Here's a question I haven't heard asked. Is the correlation of our dipstick to actual oil volume accurate?