PDA

View Full Version : type-s motor and tranny

mental
12-26-2003, 08:56 PM
this is just a curiosity question... if on the type-s you have to push down and put it in 6th for reverse what the hell do you do on an si i you do the swap... also what has to be done to make the tranny work in our cars...

andy
12-26-2003, 09:12 PM
You have to mod the gear selector or something in the shifter assembly. Sport Compact Car covered this a while back - if you search
on their site, they should have the article.
Also, several people have done it on here. I'd PM PoRT or Bioevolve...I think they've done it. A search might also turn it up (someone on here just did the tranny swap and had a very detailed
description of it...can't remember their username, though).

SiRman
12-26-2003, 10:51 PM
It is also covered here:
http://www.k-series.com/article_details.php?article_id=5

You have to cut a notch in the shifter assembly, for the shifter to reach far enough over.

7th picture down is the shifter, it's not the greatest pic, you can complian to bmx269 for that.:banana:

mental
12-27-2003, 12:35 AM
that link didnt help at all... but good pics!

jandetuning
12-27-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by mental
that link didnt help at all... but good pics!

Try this one: 6 Speed (http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=EP_6SPD_DIY)

I have done the swap, and so has cpu519 (rodney mendoza).

Peking
12-27-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by jandetuning
Try this one: 6 Speed (http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=EP_6SPD_DIY)
I have done the swap, and so has cpu519 (rodney mendoza).

If you don't mind posting everything you needed for the swap, and cost if you could. I know that k-series has the install instuctions. I will be doing this, just wanted to know what I would need, and how much to save up. Also is there anything else needed for the rpm gauge to read correctly. Or will that be taken care of with the swap?

jandetuning
12-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Peking
If you don't mind posting everything you needed for the swap, and cost if you could. I know that k-series has the install instuctions. I will be doing this, just wanted to know what I would need, and how much to save up. Also is there anything else needed for the rpm gauge to read correctly. Or will that be taken care of with the swap?

Parts I used:

6 speed trans $450
1 jar super high temp grease, Honda P/N 08798-9002 $14
Right and left axle seals, from Honda, $25 for both
Helms manual for disassembly and torque specs, $70
Throwout bearing for '02 RSX-S, $40

The cost for you might be higher if you need a new clutch. At 17,700mi mine was still like new. You will need two jacks for the swap. The subframe will need to be removed, so the engine will need to be supported by one while the tranny is lowered with the other. The 6 Speed is a direct bolt-in, I just recommend replacing the axle seals and throwout bearing while it is out. The grease I recommended is for the throwout bearing and the clutch splines, and it is well worth the $14.

The only problem is the 6 speed trans has a lockout solenoid for reverse. The 6 speed ECU sends a signal to the solenoid when the vehicle is moving forward. It is possible with the swap to grind reverse when you are going for 6th gear. I am working on an interface box right now to solve this problem. As soon as it is ready, I will produce them for others with the 6 speed swap.

cpu519
12-28-2003, 11:20 PM
I did the swap. Cost for me was roughly the same as jandetuning. Click on the link in my sig for the thread. That sounds like an interesting project you're working on John. I'm going to install a heavy compression spring on the bottom of the shift lever (black plastic piece) that starts to compress when the stick is pushed over when you're engaging reverse. Reverse will take more effort, but it will also prevent you from accidentally pushing the lever too far when shifting from 5th to 6th because you'll start feeling the stiff spring. I have an A2 ecu now (Type R swap - more info coming) so the reverse lockout works properly, but I still want some way to prevent the stick from moving easily into the reverse "gate". I found when shifting from 5th to 6th requires that you put very slight rightward pressure when pulling the stick back, if you don't then the lever gets stuck in the neutral gate. That's the reason why I want the reverse gate to require extra effort to enter. Both the Type S tranny and the Type R tranny that I have now shift the same way.

Rodney

Peking
12-29-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by jandetuning
The only problem is the 6 speed trans has a lockout solenoid for reverse. The 6 speed ECU sends a signal to the solenoid when the vehicle is moving forward. It is possible with the swap to grind reverse when you are going for 6th gear. I am working on an interface box right now to solve this problem. As soon as it is ready, I will produce them for others with the 6 speed swap.

Ok so the A3 ecu will think you might be trying to throw her into reverse. Only a possibility, or a certainty? Cool on the interface box, where will that sit?

Originally posted by cpu519
I did the swap. Cost for me was roughly the same as jandetuning. Click on the link in my sig for the thread. That sounds like an interesting project you're working on John. I'm going to install a heavy compression spring on the bottom of the shift lever (black plastic piece) that starts to compress when the stick is pushed over when you're engaging reverse. Reverse will take more effort, but it will also prevent you from accidentally pushing the lever too far when shifting from 5th to 6th because you'll start feeling the stiff spring. I have an A2 ecu now (Type R swap - more info coming) so the reverse lockout works properly, but I still want some way to prevent the stick from moving easily into the reverse "gate". I found when shifting from 5th to 6th requires that you put very slight rightward pressure when pulling the stick back, if you don't then the lever gets stuck in the neutral gate. That's the reason why I want the reverse gate to require extra effort to enter. Both the Type S tranny and the Type R tranny that I have now shift the same way.
Rodney

Since it has been done, I don't see it as being very interesting :D . Also I am weighing the option of doing this with others. Or taking her into one of our tuner shops for this install. So it is possible to throw her in reverse when going for six? Nothing to stop you?

cpu519
12-29-2003, 02:26 PM
Anything is possible if someone is very sloppy during shifting. The reverse lockout is a safety measure, but it doesn't prevent stupidity. Millions of cars have been produced without a reverse lockout, with automatic and manual transmissions. It's up to the driver to shift it properly.

Peking
12-29-2003, 03:42 PM
Anything is possible if someone is very sloppy during shifting. The reverse lockout is a safety measure, but it doesn't prevent stupidity. Millions of cars have been produced without a reverse lockout, with automatic and manual transmissions. It's up to the driver to shift it properly.

I understand :) and thanks to the both of you guys for your help.

jandetuning
12-29-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Peking
Ok so the A3 ecu will think you might be trying to throw her into reverse. Only a possibility, or a certainty? Cool on the interface box, where will that sit?

Since it has been done, I don't see it as being very interesting :D . Also I am weighing the option of doing this with others. Or taking her into one of our tuner shops for this install. So it is possible to throw her in reverse when going for six? Nothing to stop you?

The reverse issue has nothing to do with the ECU. It is totally mechanical, and like was said before, it is fully up to the driver how they shift. There is nothing to stop you without the solenoid functioning, but reverse is about 1/2" farther over than 6th. The interface box I am developing right now is a little smaller than a pack of cigarettes. It mounts near the ECU, and reads the signal from the VSS sensor. It supplies voltage to the reverse lockout solenoid when the vehicle is moving. The first prototype is in my Si right now, and once it is proven, I will produce more units.

03_CivicSi
12-29-2003, 09:02 PM
So what r the gains by installing a type-s tranny???????????
I know u get an extra gear, but what else; any power gains?

Thanks in advance!!

Peking
12-29-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by 03_CivicSi
So what r the gains by installing a type-s tranny???????????
I know u get an extra gear, but what else; any power gains?
Thanks in advance!!

Since I have a few different plans for the future, I think this will be a good install. Someone once told me "Gearing and tuning", seems to be true. Also like he said

I've had my 6 speed installed for about 3 weeks now, it definitely improves the performance of the Si. Acceleration is better, it wakes up the performance of this car. You end up spending more time in the upper rpm range. What it also does is reveal the low redline of the engine, the A3 needs a higher redline because it's so willing to rev. Because I couldn't work on the swap non-stop from beginning to end, it took me a few weekends and long weeknights to finish it. I was also finishing up my 5 lug swap (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14673&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) at the same time. Here's some basics of the swap. It's a complete bolt on, remove and replace. Simple in concept, only very labor intensive. To begin, everything has to come off from above and below the engine.