PDA

View Full Version : Vortech SuperChargers

mancalvo
12-27-2003, 12:24 PM
Does anyone know if Vortech is going to build a supercharger for the 2002-3 SI Hatchback?

Did you guys read the article about the Ford Focus that went from 170 HP to 267 HP (flywheel)? 63% is not bad not bad at all! Its Better than the JR system and is watercooled.Ofcourse a little more $$$.

If the members in or close to channel islands in Ca could find out if this kit will be available? This would be great:).

Any comments about this configuration versus the jackson racing system?? Read the article and checkout the pic below.

I think this kit would actually look better on a HONDA!!

Channel Islands, CA (November 24, 2003)-Vortech Engineering, LLC has introduced a new high output supercharging system for the 2002-2003 Ford Focus SVT with the 2.0L Engine.

The addition of the V-5 F-Trim supercharger will increase horsepower from 170 to 276 and torque from 145lb./ft. to 204lb./ft. at approximately 10 psig at the flywheel.*

The system includes an integrated dual-pass air/water charge cooling configuration, which features a closed loop water cooling system with a stand-alone pump, tank and front mounted heat exchanger. Vortech

Peking
12-27-2003, 12:42 PM
This was talked about along time ago. One of the members contacted Vortech, there stand was "There is not enough room for our kit" or something like that. There was also a debate on how they could find a way to make it fit. You might have to look at something else.

eurosteez
12-27-2003, 01:28 PM
looks pretty sweet
Channel Islands? oxnard I reckon, do you have a web address?

mancalvo
12-27-2003, 11:12 PM
Here is Vorntech information:
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/contact/

Phone us at 805.247.0226 between 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM (PST)

Fax us at 805.247.0669

Mail us at 1650 Pacific Avenue, Channel Islands, CA 93033-9901

I have sent them a couple of emails without any reply. I told them I was interested in co-developing a system, and I told them about my background. Of course the down side is that I live in PA, and not in CA.
I don't know if they don't have enough engineering resources or if they are just persuing the simple low hanging fruits, the "no braner systems". I need somebody who is local to resume discussions. Or enough locals members to continually inquire them about a system. Hopefully, and maybe they have changed there mind or will change their mind. But you know how it is... They need to get an idea of what percentage of EPs sold in the US would want to install this system. ITS ALL ABOUT MAKING MONEY!!

oldschoolimport
12-27-2003, 11:20 PM
this type of system has a progressive boost curve similar to a turbo, it is intercooled like a turbo, but is simple to install like a supercharger. in my opinion a centrifugal(sp) supercharger is on par with a turbo, and is much better than a roots type blower. I would DEFINITELY choose this over the JRSC.

02SilverSiHB
12-28-2003, 09:55 PM
I had contacted them last year and they said there is no way they will make one for our car, their type of setup won't fit for our engine bay

STP03BlueSI
12-29-2003, 12:49 PM
Damn that would be a NICE set up for our cars.

mancalvo
12-29-2003, 05:00 PM
Hey 02SilverSIHB,
Do you recall who your contact person was??

I was doing some serious evaluation under the hood. What I need to find out is what is the smallest cross section radius of the supercharger. I other words, what is the smallest distance from the center of the drive shaft to the outer edge of the supercharger housing (impeller housing). This will conclude if a kit will work. The drive/pulley will need to replaced and be ofset back and up in order for the shaft to clear the intake manifold. Its tight but so far it can be done. I just need this other information.

Thanks guys.

02SilverSiHB
12-29-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by mancalvo
Hey 02SilverSIHB,
Do you recall who your contact person was??

I was doing some serious evaluation under the hood. What I need to find out is what is the smallest cross section radius of the supercharger. I other words, what is the smallest distance from the center of the drive shaft to the outer edge of the supercharger housing (impeller housing). This will conclude if a kit will work. The drive/pulley will need to replaced and be ofset back and up in order for the shaft to clear the intake manifold. Its tight but so far it can be done. I just need this other information.

Thanks guys.
wow, I can't remember, it was about a year ago, and I've already deleted that email from months ago.

FckdUpPup
12-30-2003, 11:11 AM
Hey guys,

Here in staten island their is a shop that has been making Custom kits for Camrys, Eclipses, and lancers. It uses a Vortech V5Q G-Trim unit. If anyone could make it work it would be these guys. When I get my car I will take a ride there and see what they say about it.

Check there site out www.rippmods.com (http://www.rippmods.com)

Here's a pic of one of there systems.
http://www.rippmods.com/pics/silverstratus/pic7.jpg

Doug

mancalvo
12-30-2003, 03:21 PM
Does anyone knows who makes Hytech superchargers, and where are they at(website info etc..)?

neuspeedcivic
01-09-2004, 09:12 AM
02SilverSiHB is correct. I spoke to Jim Middlebrook, the owner of Vortech, last year around April or May and at the time, he said they were not going to pursue a factory kit. However, that doesn't mean that someone else won't use a Vortech blower and make it work. It just means that Vortec wasn't going to pursue the R&D in-house. But maybe if enough people are interested, they will change their minds.

It's good that the JRSC kit is out now, but it would be nice to see some other choices for people who don't want to go turbo.

-Gdub-

TheMutt
01-09-2004, 10:13 AM
I don't think it's that people want to go turbo... It's that they want power. Right now the easiest way is to slap on a turbo. Besides people get to hear their BOV. The JR system just isn't extremely impressive, IMO. No ones really tried it and given a good follow up yet, and that's not helping either.

surfsi2
02-11-2004, 04:31 PM
I think that the vortech sc works the engine even harder than the roots system because of the distance the rod is from the impeller, also chancing something to be thrown out of ballance. Another thing to keep in mind is when they tested the GSR it only shaved off 1/2 a second and the reason for that was with any SC it will produce high #s BUT it takes the whole power curve to get there, as where a turbo spools right to the top and stays there!
Bassicly SC's work better with bigger displacement, hence the ever popular cobra where the NA power compliments the SC.

FckdUpPup
02-11-2004, 09:04 PM
I was just reading Super Street with the Civic Si Challenge and HKS has a Supercharger on there car. I looked online at the pics but it's so hidden it's impossible to make out what it is. Doug
http://www.superstreetonline.com/superstreet/featuredvehicles/130_0311_hks_02z.jpg

02SilverSiHB
02-12-2004, 10:29 AM
I thought that was a turbo

dofu
02-12-2004, 04:00 PM
this cant be turbo unless they arent running an intake filter

!@#$%
02-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by oldschoolimport
this type of system has a progressive boost curve similar to a turbo, it is intercooled like a turbo, but is simple to install like a supercharger. in my opinion a centrifugal(sp) supercharger is on par with a turbo, and is much better than a roots type blower. I would DEFINITELY choose this over the JRSC.

couldn't have said it better myself.

02SilverSiHB
02-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by !@#$%
couldn't have said it better myself.
ditto, SiRacer on clubsi has one, he has like 350whp and runs 12s.

02SilverSiHB
02-12-2004, 05:18 PM
here's SiRacer's car...I think he was on slicks of course with that 60ft of his, he is car number 3
http://forums.clubsi.com/photos/apr30_timeslips.jpg
http://www.clubsi.com/featured/siracer/siracer_side.jpg
http://www.clubsi.com/featured/siracer/siracer_rear.jpg
http://www.clubsi.com/featured/siracer/siracer_dyno.jpg
http://forums.clubsi.com/photos/engine_april03.jpg

oldskool
02-12-2004, 08:42 PM
the hks car was using a screw type sc. centrifugal sc's are just like turbos (they compress the air) but are belt driven vs. exhaust driven.

02SilverSiHB
02-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by oldskool
the hks car was using a screw type sc.
ah, sweet. I bet we'll never see it :(

dofu
02-15-2004, 04:56 AM
i would love to have a vortech supercharger, but if they're so good, then whats with this (endyn link) (http://www.theoldone.com/) ??? this is a page a friend of mine who's tried different setups with his integ referred me to

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
02-15-2004, 07:04 AM
I had a Vortech V2 on my last car (2000 Maxima).
It made decent power but was laggy, like a large turbo.
Not to mention the kit was flawed, I kept popping belts after only a few weeks, if not days.
It was a Stillen kit, so maybe something directly from Vortech would be better.
Personally I wouldn't buy it though.
Too expensive, and I'd rather go turbo.

mancalvo
02-19-2004, 06:09 PM
Has anyone read about the new HKS Supercharger being used on there new 2003 Challenge Honda Civic? Its a screw type stated before by another forum member.

Its a Rotrex SP30 series centrifugal charger (www.rotrex.eu.com). Check out the performance specifications and design (close loop oil system, filter and cooler)seams very reliable.

According to HKS sales and marketing people (when I called on 2/16/04), they are developing a STREET LEGAL kit that produces 270-280whp.
They are currently developing it and will put most turbo kits out there today "to sleep". If you know what I mean. The big question is when will it be ready for sale, and how much MULA will cost??

Following up on the February, March and April editions of Super Street magazine for the outcome of the "2003 Honda Civic Si Challenge". :D :cool:

FckdUpPup
02-19-2004, 08:57 PM
I can't wait. That kit is so hidden. Such a nasty sleeper. If I had to guess I would say the kit will cost around $4000. Just my 2 cents.

Doug

dofu
03-27-2004, 02:46 AM
hks supercharger??? sounds nice... but im wondering why the japanese companies (blitz, hks, etc...) have started moving from turbos to superchargers...

swampdonkey
04-01-2004, 10:56 AM
The centerfugal supercharger does make awsome power, but it has the weaknesess of both super and turbochargers. Since it is powered by a pulley attached to the crank it sufferes parasitic loss and because its compressor is like that of a turbocharger it doesn't make good boost at low RPM. They have an efficiency range just like a turbo compressor. I read an article about an S2000 that had one and they said it wasn't much faster because where it really needed the power (down low) it didn't get any.

I'm not saying they aren't sweet......just that they do have their weaknesess like everything else.

johnkimble
04-23-2004, 01:32 PM
damn, hks supercharger? i might just keep my a3 for that.. hmmmmmm :D

FckdUpPup
04-23-2004, 01:45 PM
We will probably never get this . And it's not a tumor !;)

Tenacious G
05-14-2004, 10:52 AM
i don't understand the point of this poll since it already was established that Vortech's SC system won't fit the EP's engine bay. shit, we're lucky JR went with the roots-type and was able to mount it vertically to make it fit.

no use wishing for something that will never be. kinda like asking when jennifer love hewitt is going to show up on my doorstep and take advantage of me?

hang on, someone's at the door ...

:D

02SilverSiHB
05-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Tenacious G
i don't understand the point of this poll since it already was established that Vortech's SC system won't fit the EP's engine bay. shit, we're lucky JR went with the roots-type and was able to mount it vertically to make it fit.

no use wishing for something that will never be. kinda like asking when jennifer love hewitt is going to show up on my doorstep and take advantage of me?

hang on, someone's at the door ...

:D no kidding, it doesn't seem to matter that like 10 of us have said it won't happen...kinda of like the CTR coming to the states.