PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Flywheel

DarkHatch
12-27-2003, 09:08 PM
Is this really worth getting for our cars? I know that it will help the car rev faster, but will it rob gobs of torque? Just curious if you guys know anyone that has one. Input much apreciated;)

myeverlovinsir
12-27-2003, 10:03 PM
but will it rob gobs of torque?

You will gain some HP from the reduced weight on the crank, and if all other factors remain the same you will also gain a proportional amount of tq. The key to purchasing the correct weight of flywheel has to do with the power bandwidth and tranny gear ratios. A flywheel's weight determines the amount of stored energy it has, and inertia required to get it moving. The lighter it is the quicker it will rev up and down. Too light and you will stall your engine at idle. I think the lightest out there is 8.7lbs for our car. I don't know what the JDM type-R flywheel weight is, but that would probably be the ideal. Anyone else lighten the flywheel?

Zero Three Si
12-27-2003, 10:54 PM
This is the mod I was considering next. I can't say that anybody has done this mod on ephatch. I kinda of recall US_SI having a lighten fly wheel.

DarkHatch
12-27-2003, 11:48 PM
Was there a certain brand that you had in mind Zero three?

Zero Three Si
12-28-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by DarkHatch
Was there a certain brand that you had in mind Zero three?

I haven't really done a whole lot of research on it yet. I just knew that it was in the back of my mind as "things to do". I know my brother in law got a stage 2 clutch and lighter fly wheel for his 1.8t beetle and it made a significant difference.

DarkHatch
12-28-2003, 03:13 PM
I found an ACT flywheel for 240 bucks on horsepowerfreaks.com
I've heard that this is a really good brand, and it's about half as much as the Unorthodox racing f/w

NemesisITR
12-28-2003, 06:20 PM
I've heard that most people with lightend fly wheels have trouble keeping their cars in VTEC. For the A3 motor that shouldnt matter cause our VTEC is at 2200 but on a road course it will be harder for our car to keep up in the higher revs. Im sticking with the stock flywheel with whatever motor I end up swapping in.

Dark Hatch: If you still have questions talk to Stoney at VSV in Dallas, he explained it pretty well the other day when I was getting my motor mounts installed.

DarkHatch
12-28-2003, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NemesisITR but on a road course it will be harder for our car to keep up in the higher revs.
]

That's what I figuired. Thanx;)

Zero Three Si
12-28-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by NemesisITR
I've heard that most people with lightend fly wheels have trouble keeping their cars in VTEC. For the A3 motor that shouldnt matter cause our VTEC is at 2200 but on a road course it will be harder for our car to keep up in the higher revs. Im sticking with the stock flywheel with whatever motor I end up swapping in.

Dark Hatch: If you still have questions talk to Stoney at VSV in Dallas, he explained it pretty well the other day when I was getting my motor mounts installed.

I don't want to drop 3000-5000 bucks for a turbo or super charger, which is why I'm looking into this mod. For some it may work, for some it may not.

02SilverSiHB
12-28-2003, 09:57 PM
my future plans are a lightened flywheel, but from what I've seen, we have to up grade the clutch/pressure plate for some reason, not sure why, but you have to, to get an aftermarket flywheel, it won't work with the stock setup. this is even for just simple na ep's

1FSTEP3
12-30-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
I don't know what the JDM type-R flywheel weight is, but that would probably be the ideal.

Someone on ebay that is selling them says it weighs 10.25 lbs. He's selling it for about $350 brand new. I have one that I am getting rid of for $400 used, but with a clutch also, so you don't have to get the flywheel resurfaced.

Dunrick
12-30-2003, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't get a lighter flywheel. Lots of people get them on honda's, but dont realize when they shift, they will land the next gear at lower rpms, due to the flywheel slowing down faster than a heavier one. Landing you at lower rpms, means you will not be in your powerband where you would like to be, for us, it is up high. I could understand getting a stronger flywheel. As for light, don't get too light. I would say getting the type R would be the most logical one, since its oem and tested.

As for power gains, nothing crazy, maybe 1-2 whp - across the entire rpms' though

Remember one of hte main reasons people get hondata on an a3, is because it lands the car at better rpms for the next gear....so lightened flywheel on an a3, especially w/o hondata would all in all slow your car down in drag racing.

glw
12-30-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Dunrick
...Lots of people get them on honda's, but dont realize when they shift, they will land the next gear at lower rpms, due to the flywheel slowing down faster than a heavier one. Landing you at lower rpms, means you will not be in your powerband where you would like to be, for us, it is up high.

Remember one of hte main reasons people get hondata on an a3, is because it lands the car at better rpms for the next gear....so lightened flywheel on an a3, especially w/o hondata would all in all slow your car down in drag racing. the way i understand it is that in theory the engine rpm's may drop more quickly with a lightened flywheel, but your rolling speed will drive the rpm's back up at clutch release anyway (ex: the pressure plate/clutch mates the wheels/transmission to the flywheel/engine - therefore the wheels will drive up the engine rpms - like it does during downshifting). the moral of the story is that if you shift fast enough and are quick with the clutch, you won't even notice. ;)

the only real disadvantage that i know of for a lightened flywheel with a stronger pressure plate and grabbier clutch, would be during launches. most people would probably consider launches more difficult during daily driving where finese is needed - because if you drop the clutch without enough rpm's the non-rotating drivetrain will stall the engine (with it's lessened rotational mass/inertia) or at least cause some major bronco riding.

Zero Three Si
12-31-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by glw
the only real disadvantage that i know of for a lightened flywheel with a stronger pressure plate and grabbier clutch, would be during launches. most people would probably consider launches more difficult during daily driving where finese is needed - because if you drop the clutch without enough rpm's the non-rotating drivetrain will stall the engine (with it's lessened rotational mass/inertia) or at least cause some major bronco riding.

You hit the nail on the head. When I drove brother in laws 1.8t....you had to REALLY know how to drive stick with the stage clutch and lighter fly wheel. Once you got used to driving it, the thing was a rocket.

At first I was stalling it and bronco riding it.