PDA

View Full Version : New HID tool and a question:

SF-SI-02
12-29-2003, 12:09 AM
Hey, I found this tool the casper shield (wish I knew how to post pics here), to retrofit ds2 bulbs in h4 housing (to see it go to http://www.casperselectronics.com/cgi-local/store/commerce.cgi and search part number 103016). It seems like a great way to go, because you can buy standard ds2 HID bulbs without having to buy ones with special rings from an HID retrofit company. Anyhow, it seems that with this casper shield, there is no way to sneak in another bulb for our hi beam... my question is, how much is the new headlight housing from Honda from the 04 si? If I can't work out a way to keep hi beams, I may jump ship and pay the extra bucks for the new and then add HID.

One idea was to simply mount a second light in the other side of the reflector shield and wire it to the hi beam. The problem is that I think the shield will get VERY hot and would probably kill any halogen mounted on the other side, please corect me if I am wrong! Also, if I had regular plastic coated wires exposed near the shield, would the plastic melt when the HID was on?

Thanks for any advice, I know I ask a lot of questions on the lighting forum, but I'll come clean I am a lighting nut!

:yellm:

Spazhead
12-29-2003, 10:51 AM
there are hi-low HID kit out there for our cars, do a search for hi-low H4 HID.

HgSi
12-29-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by SF-SI-02

One idea was to simply mount a second light in the other side of the reflector shield and wire it to the hi beam.

What would be the point of this? It won't be in the focal point of the housing. Any light from that bulb will simply be scattered randomly. It wouldn't be any more of a high beam than a flashlight taped to the bumper and wired to the high beam circuit.

Hatch, Si Hatch
12-29-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by HgSi
What would be the point of this? It won't be in the focal point of the housing. Any light from that bulb will simply be scattered randomly. It wouldn't be any more of a high beam than a flashlight taped to the bumper and wired to the high beam circuit.

He was referring to the 04' Si Headlight housing, where it looks to have seperate high beam and low beam bulbs.

SF-SI-02
12-29-2003, 03:23 PM
The hi/lo kits do not use stock ds2 bulbs, you have to buy them with rings glued on from the guy you bought the hid retrofit kit from. I went to my local rice shop and they showed me their retrofit kit, it had a huge tube protruding behind the bulb to power the hi lo... wouldn't fit in our cars.

As far as mounting an extra bulb behind the shield: It is the case that the hi beam focal point is just there, just look at your h4 bulb..., my concern is too much heat, because the shield will heat up a lot, and the additional bulb may have to just lay against the shield...