PDA

View Full Version : tire balancing

sterlingSi
12-29-2003, 03:20 PM
Mkay,
i just bought new tires. Yokohama AVS dB S2 (205/60/15) and i am going to one of two shops to get them mounted.

Should i get the tires dynamically balanced, which simulates driving on the road or should i just get the normal balancing methods.

or are there other better ways to get a tire balanced.

oldschoolimport
12-29-2003, 03:43 PM
depends whether you want weights on the outside or not. dynamic is the best balance as it places 2 weights offset, 1 on the inside bead and 1 on the outside bead. static balance is good if they take time to re-balance it after the weight is added. it only has 1 weight on the inside bead and may have to be taken off and a larger or smaller weight put back to achieve a perfect balance. if they can use sticky weights on the backside of the rim rather than pound on weights, the static balance is even better.

sterlingSi
12-29-2003, 03:50 PM
so, it basically depends on how much i trust the shop, and if i don't then i should use dynamic?

oldschoolimport
12-29-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by sterlingSi
so, it basically depends on how much i trust the shop, and if i don't then i should use dynamic? if they will do static right, do that as it will prevent the roll of your rim from getting scratched up. if you cant trust them to do that right, I may not trust them to change the tires or pound weights on the front of the rim either.

sorry if I made things worse, but I used to work in a tire shop and have seen it done wrong too many times.

sterlingSi
12-29-2003, 05:06 PM
it's all good, i believe i trust one of the two shops.

thanks.

Vertigo
12-30-2003, 05:10 AM
Listen to Oldschool. He thinks he knows what he's talking about. Whenever you put stick-on weights on the backside of the spokes and the inward lip of the rim it is a Dynamic balance not a Static. Like you sayed, Static is weights on the inward lip only. Stactic = Doughnut balance. Dynamic = good balance.

BTW: Where abouts in the KY you at?

sterlingSi
12-30-2003, 11:43 AM
um
i'm from mount sterling, ky
it's well
30 minutes east of lexington
and 15 minutes east of winchester.

oldschoolimport
12-31-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Vertigo
Listen to Oldschool. He thinks he knows what he's talking about. Whenever you put stick-on weights on the backside of the spokes and the inward lip of the rim it is a Dynamic balance not a Static. Like you sayed, Static is weights on the inward lip only. Stactic = Doughnut balance. Dynamic = good balance. dude, I have never heard of using sticky weights AND pound on weights on the inner lip at the same time. our computer balancers would not let you do that. I meant if the sticky weights were on the inside of the rim, opposite of where the tire is, the flat part that is around the brake disc, is what we also called static. basically if the weights are in one place it is static, weights in two places it is dynamic. it sounds confusing in words. sorry.

Vertigo
12-31-2003, 06:45 PM
I knew what you were talking about. I'm just being a smartass...lol! Your right! If you have only one weight on the wheel it is a Stactic balance. On custom wheels i put stick-on weights on the inner-wheel(behind the spokes) and on the inside inner-edge of the wheel.

EP3ME
12-31-2003, 06:49 PM
The first mistake was buying those shitty tires... The Honda Civic Si is a beautifully balanced little car that deserves better than that 'omes!!!:p

Vertigo
01-01-2004, 07:22 PM
Your calling Yokahama's shitty! No shitty is Federal, Hankook, Visa and Nankang. I run Yokahama parada spec-2 and love them to death. There not a Michelin or a Pirelli, but damn close for less $$$. Different strokes for different folks...i guess.

Sidriver
01-01-2004, 09:22 PM
I'm being honest with you fellow ep'ers. A static balance is the worst balance there is when it comes to balancing. Tell your Tire Technician you want an Alloy Balance.

Migs
01-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Static is the most inaccurate balance you can ever do to your wheels. However, it takes less weight and looks more attractive. The best balance is would be an allow as previously stated.

Just to give you some background.

VISA is FALKEN
HANKOOK might as well be a MICHELIN.

This is truely an opinion but most of my customers who buy Yokohama ES100's or the Parada Spec's say they are junk compared to other tires. Depends really on what type of driving you do and if you truely drive aggressive, not just fast.

Just like you said, different folks, different strokes.

Sidriver
01-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Hey Migs we're practically family dude. NTB Tech. 1 here :D