PDA

View Full Version : aem cold air intake v2

nobike12
12-30-2003, 02:39 PM
hey do any of you guys have the cold air intake v2 in ur cars? im thinking about buying one cuz supposedly it gives the new civic si's about 11 hp.. any one have any experience with them?

redfury
12-30-2003, 04:04 PM
I've had the V2 for over a month now and couldn't be more pleased. The car really takes off at high rpms and the sound between 4000 and redline is amazing. Even though the V2 is the most expensive intake out there its worth the money.

redfury
12-30-2003, 04:22 PM
P.S Here's a pic, sorry it's crappy but it was the only file small enough to attach.

BlasTech
12-30-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by nobike12
supposedly it gives the new civic si's about 11 hp.

DAMN where'd you hear that? That would make it the most power-producing single NA mod available.

redfury
12-30-2003, 04:39 PM

nobike12
12-30-2003, 11:12 PM
yeah im pretty sure its the most power producing intake on the market so far.. but i was also wondering... cuz im like a total newb here haha but for the bypasses on cold airs, they dont matter as long as the diameter is right right?

BlasTech
12-31-2003, 10:12 AM
As far as I know, there isnt a real bypass made for the two CAI's on the Si (Injen and AEM).

The V2 for the Si is actually more of a Short Ram design than a CAI, and has alot less risk of hydrolocking with its filter there, instead of inside the front fender.

The other thing I've heard about Bypasses is that they can rob the CAI of its potential, making it perform about the same as a Short Ram.

If AEM follows what other companies have done with products for the Si, there may never be a dyno of the V2 on an Si. Companies seem to think that people with the Si will buy a product based on its RSX-S or RSX-base performance, but both cars have significant differences from the Si, especially in the intake dept.

Im eager to see how the V2 works on an otherwise stock Si.

03EP3Si
12-31-2003, 10:13 AM
wow 11 horse power huh, my cai was getting boring anyway its time for a change :)

Pradamuimui
12-31-2003, 10:20 AM
My friend has an AEM V2 intake on his S2000, and boy does that thing scream. Ive never heard a car so loud with just one single mod. I also read, and watched the video clips on AEM's website. Where they had tested 3 of the same 98 Civic EX. One with the 98 stock EX intake vs, the 98 stock EX with the traditional AEM CAI, and then the 98 stock EX with the new V2. It was amazing, the AEM V2 seemed to beat the old CAI version by a full car. Amazing!!! It really does appear to be the best intake on the market. I ordered mine a week ago and was told that it was on backorder for a short time. Im becoming impatient I want my AEM V2 NOW!!!!!

KeNnYtAkEr
12-31-2003, 10:52 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/chibianh/.Pictures/after.jpg

KeNnYtAkEr
12-31-2003, 10:53 AM
http://homepage.mac.com/chibianh/.Pictures/after.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/chibianh/.Pictures/contents.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/chibianh/.Pictures/top2.jpg

chibianh
12-31-2003, 10:58 AM
KeNnYtAkEr,

those pics look mighty familiar.. ;) :p

Anyway, I've had the V2 for a while now and still have no regrets getting it. I think the concensus is that CAI > v2 > SRI in terms of the most gains. Nothing beats cold air. However, the v2 makes similar gains to the CAI, with the ease of install/maintainence of the SRI, and the zero-hydrolock fear factor, it's a winner in my book. definately well worth the price. However, if u have a CAI already, stick with it.

STP03BlueSI
12-31-2003, 11:05 AM
HOLY crap...11ph...damn.

Is that thing really loud?:D

Kwazie
12-31-2003, 11:05 AM
looks like a SRI to me :p

03EP3Si
12-31-2003, 11:29 AM
Well if this thing is packing 11 horse power than its obviously better than the CAI for our car. the CAI only gave us like 5hp 6 at most:rolleyes:

chibianh
12-31-2003, 11:54 AM
I haven't seen any dynos for the Si, but the RSX-base showed similar gains to the CAI. 11hp sounds good, but I highly doubt it.

Kwazie, yes it does look like a SRI. However, if you search through the forums, there was a picture of my V2 compared to the AEM SRI. The V2 has a sick bend on the pipe and the filter sits a little lower in that hole than the SRI. Also, the dual chambers on the V2 helps give more gains over a regular SRI because using sound waves to push air really works... or at least the physics of it says it works. Whether the V2's design works or not, that's another question.

BlasTech
12-31-2003, 12:36 PM
chibianh, I agree with everything you said, except the soundwaves are the result of the air moving at certain frequencies due to the shape of the pipes, not the cause of the air movement itself.

Either way, if it produced that much power, AEM would have plastered it all over thier site by now.

Im betting they have thoroughly tested and dyno'd it and found something like 5-ish hp and maybe a low-end loss, so they dont want to publish it for fear it would hurt sales and maybe tarnish the V2 name.

Only time will tell.