PDA

View Full Version : H&R Owners...what's your opinion?

ViViDPeArL
12-31-2003, 02:48 AM
i'm definately looking at getting H&R springs because of the drop that it gives...my only concern is the ride quality on stock shocks as well as the ride quality all together...

i know i should upgrade the shocks, but if anyone has them already installed and can give me an opinion on them...that'd be great.

The correct spring also is 51866-2, i know some people who say the ride sucks is because they're using the springs from the civic coupe which have the incorrect spring rate. Thanks for your post and opinion in advanced. :)

chubbychu
12-31-2003, 02:52 AM
yea, i really like them because they look and feel good.
the only con that i am getting is some werid rubbing and clunking noises. but not as bad as it used to be without coil isolators.

ViViDPeArL
12-31-2003, 02:53 AM
is the ride really stiff? are you running on stock shocks and how are those holding up if you are? thanks

02SilverSiHB
12-31-2003, 07:28 AM
I've been in an ep with H&R, the ride was quite comfortable and it wasn't as low as mine, so it felt less proneto abuse on bumps.

frentzenej11
12-31-2003, 07:48 AM
The ride is great so far. No noises at all. The ride is stiffer,but overall I'm happy with them.

Zero Three Si
12-31-2003, 09:35 AM
Ride is very nice. The car doesn't feel like it's going to roll over when I take aggressive turns on exit ramps. I can totally tell that I need a sway bar now though. Bumps? Well it's not as rough as everybody says. If you put ANY lowering springs on your car...of course the ride is going to be rougher. It's not as bad as everybody says. The performance makes it all worth it.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pa0828281b7694a41e794137981c1768a/fa3d8d7f.jpg

ViViDPeArL
12-31-2003, 10:12 AM
are you guys running stock shocks?

Zero Three Si
12-31-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by ViViDPeArL

Yup

02SilverSiHB
12-31-2003, 01:02 PM
frentzenej11 is also

Peking
12-31-2003, 04:53 PM

So am I, and Chunky.

chunky
12-31-2003, 05:38 PM
I've got a shitload of miles on my ep3 after the h&r install. 65k miles, and the springs were installed at 4xxxx miles.

1) daily drive ride is very comfortable over all but the harshest bumps.

2) these springs work very well with stock shocks. It's fine for daily driving and spirited driving. If you auto-x, you'll still want new shocks - but if you're not going to be pushing the car that hard, you'll be a-ok.

3) Everyone I know that is using the correct spring number and did the install properly has very few to zero issues with noise etc.

I'll add that you may need to purchase the rear camber kit, but it's not that important. the drop will leave you with approximately -1.7 camber in the rear which is barely within stock spec.

ViViDPeArL
12-31-2003, 05:47 PM
i dunno if this is the same...but on my last car which was an accord...i had -2.5 camber in the back...but no abnormal wear what so ever...i wonder if it will be the same with the ep...thank god this time camber kit for the front is only 30 bucks for some bolts...thanks for all your posts guys...anyone got pictures of their drop? maybe pictures of the drop on 215/40/17?? :D thanks...

Sidriver
12-31-2003, 06:04 PM
I'm in the worx of getting my H&R's installed. Today I got the front springs put on hehehehe. I'm Cruisin around with a Hot Rod EP. I'm getting the rears installed tomorrow. Time was running out at work today to do the rears and get it aligned. I'm gonna post a pic soon to show u the Hot Rod EP before I get the rear lowered :D

chunky
12-31-2003, 08:16 PM
i dunno if this is the same...but on my last car which was an accord...i had -2.5 camber in the back...but no abnormal wear what so ever...i wonder if it will be the same with the ep...thank god this time camber kit for the front is only 30 bucks for some bolts...thanks for all your posts guys...anyone got pictures of their drop? maybe pictures of the drop on 215/40/17?? :D thanks...

click on "you may call her estella" in my sig for a pic. I have 225/50/15's

-2.5 camber in the rear with no abnormal wear is definitely the exception. But a lot of it depends on what kind of tires, and what tire pressures you run.

dchu
01-01-2004, 01:48 AM
It doesn't matter what spring number you order, wether it's for rsx, em2 civic, or civic si. The boxes may have different part numbers but you may find part number stickers layered under the civic si sticker. The actual part numbers on the springs are all the same. They ride okay but I feel the stock shocks aren't up to the task. There is one particular freeway in my area which is sectioned off every 20 feet or so. The sections are sealed together which form small bumps. The stock shocks don't soak these bumps too well, giving the sensation of constant rocking. I wish somebody besides koni would release shocks for our cars already.:yellm:

ViViDPeArL
01-01-2004, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by dchu
It doesn't matter what spring number you order, wether it's for rsx, em2 civic, or civic si. The boxes may have different part numbers but you may find part number stickers layered under the civic si sticker. The actual part numbers on the springs are all the same. They ride okay but I feel the stock shocks aren't up to the task. There is one particular freeway in my area which is sectioned off every 20 feet or so. The sections are sealed together which form small bumps. The stock shocks don't soak these bumps too well, giving the sensation of constant rocking. I wish somebody besides koni would release shocks for our cars already.:yellm:

that makes it hard to believe that a company would go through the trouble to give different part numbers when they're all the same spring...especially this coming from a company that puts out world renowned suspension. a company doesn't earn ISO 9001 certification from producing shitty products, so maybe i'm wrong (hopefully i'm not) and hopefully all the springs are different due to different weights on all cars.

dchu
01-01-2004, 05:21 AM
That's what I thought too, until i did some research. Go to clubrsx to search, and you'll find some old posts where rsx owners complained about having the same springs as EM2 civics. If you search here, you'll find old posts about the previous drop claim by H&R. One of our members here complained to H&R because the drop was way more then what they claimed, so H&R updated the drop.

It's all part of marketing. Every company tries to "puff up" there reputation. H&R just slaps on different part stickers on the box so you think you're getting a product engineered specifically for your car. I ripped off the part stickers on my box and found a sticker for EM civics, and under that a sticker for rsx's. With that said, the springs are still good springs.

ViViDPeArL
01-01-2004, 11:38 AM
so should i think twice?

Peking
01-01-2004, 11:47 AM
so should i think twice?

Mybe not, it is possible to use the same springs. If no one elso was using them, then it wouldn't be a good idea. Kinda like the Tein SS springs, when it was relized they were not exactly made for our car. Folks had um, most were happy. A few had some problems, so what does this prove. You can use them, make sure you tighten well and greese the ring.

02SilverSiHB
01-01-2004, 12:15 PM
That's what I thought too, until i did some research. Go to clubrsx to search, and you'll find some old posts where rsx owners complained about having the same springs as EM2 civics. If you search here, you'll find old posts about the previous drop claim by H&R. One of our members here complained to H&R because the drop was way more then what they claimed, so H&R updated the drop.

It's all part of marketing. Every company tries to "puff up" there reputation. H&R just slaps on different part stickers on the box so you think you're getting a product engineered specifically for your car. I ripped off the part stickers on my box and found a sticker for EM civics, and under that a sticker for rsx's. With that said, the springs are still good springs.
yeah, I remember this...I had forgot, and just thought maybe h&r had finally made different spring rates for other civic/rsx but I take it they haven't...pretty sad

ViViDPeArL
01-01-2004, 12:56 PM
well it's just that i don't wanna pay $150 for spring install and then find out they were the wrong spring and gotta go do it again.

Peking
01-01-2004, 02:25 PM
well it's just that i don't wanna pay $150 for spring install and then find out they were the wrong spring and gotta go do it again.

I think you are kinda missing the point. After all this time we should all see, that modding is just that. So some parts were not exactly made with our car in mind, so were alot of other products that other people have. Many members have these mods, H&R, Tein, Neuspeed, etc. Different part numbers, same part numbers. If it fits (or in some cases slightly fits), and does not cause any major problems. Does what you need it to do, then so be it. Remember before all these companies jumped on board, tuners had to use parts from other sources, and/or create their own.

Zero Three Si
01-01-2004, 02:45 PM

You should have spent $1000 bucks then and got coil overs. I swear it's disgusting how much some of you cry about stuff. You spent $100-$150 bucks to make your car "handle better".

Peaking said it best "After all this time we should all see, that modding is just that."

Maybe you aren't happy with what you got...but I sure am. Everybody that has gone for a ride in my car has said the car handles alot better but you can feel the bumps a little more.

Go ride in the 350z and tell me how much you feel the bumps. It's a true sports car with a SPORTS suspension. You WILL feel the bumps with a sport suspension.

02SilverSiHB
01-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Zero Three Si
You WILL feel the bumps with a sport suspension.
yeah, that's something some people don't realize...if you upgrade your suspension it's probably going to be more stiff=bumpy ride.

Zero Three Si
01-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
yeah, that's something some people don't realize...if you upgrade your suspension it's probably going to be more stiff=bumpy ride.

You're probably right. Easiest way to compare it, ride in a car like Lincoln Town Car (luxury car). Luxury cars aren't supposed to feel the bumps, but they have MAJOR body roll. To eliminate the body roll, you have to make the sacrifice for the bumps.

frentzenej11
01-01-2004, 05:55 PM
I have to admit. This is the first ever car that I plan to "mod out" to the nth degree, hopefully. I was preparing myself for the worse as far as "ride quality" is concerned. When 02SilverSIHB installed my springs I was pleasantly surprised at the overall ride quality of the springs. They sure do make the car handle better on the twisties. and I agree with Zero Three Si. You ultimately get what you pay for and certain small sacrifices have to be made.

ViViDPeArL
01-01-2004, 08:27 PM
i know a good suspension must be stiff...i felt retarded when i was in my friend's saleen...i was all..damn, your car is stiff as a mofo...he's all...well what do you expect? to be bouncing all over the place with soft suspension?

i know it's gonna be stiffer, but i guess i'm just afraid it might end up like like these shitty sleeve coilovers i had before...

02SilverSiHB
01-02-2004, 12:09 AM
i know a good suspension must be stiff...i felt retarded when i was in my friend's saleen...i was all..damn, your car is stiff as a mofo...he's all...well what do you expect? to be bouncing all over the place with soft suspension?

i know it's gonna be stiffer, but i guess i'm just afraid it might end up like like these shitty sleeve coilovers i had before...
what kind of sleeves on what kind of car? I had skunk2 sleeves on my si...and damn was that stiff! No body roll at all, but too much for me...even for me, I should say

dchu
01-02-2004, 02:31 AM
You should have spent $1000 bucks then and got coil overs. I swear it's disgusting how much some of you cry about stuff. You spent $100-$150 bucks to make your car "handle better".

Peaking said it best "After all this time we should all see, that modding is just that."

Maybe you aren't happy with what you got...but I sure am. Everybody that has gone for a ride in my car has said the car handles alot better but you can feel the bumps a little more.

Go ride in the 350z and tell me how much you feel the bumps. It's a true sports car with a SPORTS suspension. You WILL feel the bumps with a sport suspension.

You just contradicted yourself. What good is spending $1000 for coilovers, if even a car with a true sports suspension will transmit small bumps? You think I don't know that the ride is going to be rougher with drop springs? Anybody with common sense knows that. All I did was offer my counter-opinion to chunky's opinion about mating these springs to stock shocks. And wtf am I "crying" about? The original poster asked for our opinions. It's a fact that these springs aren't made for our car. Maybe the original poster would like springs that are made for our car, such as eibach or progress springs.

Just because I'm the only one in this thread that isn't praising these springs like a Foreman Grill you have to flame me for it? To me you're coming off insecure about your purchase. It's as if my comments made you second guess your purchase and now you're trying to convince yourself that you made the right decision.

ViViDPeArL
01-02-2004, 05:13 AM
You just contradicted yourself. What good is spending $1000 for coilovers, if even a car with a true sports suspension will transmit small bumps? You think I don't know that the ride is going to be rougher with drop springs? Anybody with common sense knows that. All I did was offer my counter-opinion to chunky's opinion about mating these springs to stock shocks. And wtf am I "crying" about? The original poster asked for our opinions. It's a fact that these springs aren't made for our car. Maybe the original poster would like springs that are made for our car, such as eibach or progress springs.

Just because I'm the only one in this thread that isn't praising these springs like a Foreman Grill you have to flame me for it? To me you're coming off insecure about your purchase. It's as if my comments made you second guess your purchase and now you're trying to convince yourself that you made the right decision.

you guys both had good points...lets not be so negative :cool:

Zero Three Si
01-02-2004, 08:14 AM
you guys both had good points...lets not be so negative :cool:

Fact of the matter is....they are 150 bucks. Try them out...if you don't like them...take them off and sell them and get 90% of your money back. Personally, I'm glad I got them. To each his own...it's your car...do whatever you want...hell keep it stock for all I care.

Sidriver
01-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Stock Height

Sidriver
01-06-2004, 10:22 AM
H&R Height.

Zero Three Si
01-06-2004, 12:31 PM
If that is not the most perfect drop, I don't know what is.

ViViDPeArL
01-06-2004, 01:19 PM
word...looks good...looks to be the perfect height i'm looking for. How's the ride Sidriver?

02SilverSiHB
01-06-2004, 04:06 PM
If that is not the most perfect drop, I don't know what is.
progress :D

Zero Three Si
01-06-2004, 08:55 PM

Cut it out homie...:D

02SilverSiHB
01-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Cut it out homie...:D
progress rulz yo! no kidin! ;)

ViViDPeArL
01-06-2004, 10:12 PM
i sat in a car with progress...wasn't too bad...i liked it i guess? but it was kinda TOO stiff...but i had neuspeed sports on my previous car so it was way way stiff compared to those...maybe i will go with progress?

02SilverSiHB
01-07-2004, 05:24 AM
i sat in a car with progress...wasn't too bad...i liked it i guess? but it was kinda TOO stiff...but i had neuspeed sports on my previous car so it was way way stiff compared to those...maybe i will go with progress?
think that was stiff? try skunk2 coilovers...that shit was stiff :D

Sidriver
01-07-2004, 06:49 PM
word...looks good...looks to be the perfect height i'm looking for. How's the ride Sidriver?

The ride is stiff when it comes to hitting bumps. Other than that It's awsome taking turns like a mad man without freakin out, that your gonna loose control.:D

I can't wait til spring time so I can put the black Volks back on my ride:cool:

Soon2beEP3
01-19-2004, 12:56 PM
I have 17" Tenzo Psycho's arriving in two days, I want H&R springs , Will my tires rub if I get 215/45-17's?

ViViDPeArL
01-19-2004, 02:37 PM

hey, what tires are you running? got any pics of your drop...?

Peking
01-19-2004, 04:08 PM
hey, what tires are you running? got any pics of your drop...?

Ready for this 56k warning...
http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB8&Number=3534100&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1