PDA

View Full Version : installed hondata gasket

Black 02 SI
12-31-2003, 02:48 PM
as the title says i just installed my heatshield gasket. to my amazement the intake manifold is cool to the tough now. before you couldn't touch it due to the heat, now it's real cold. i let it idle for like 15 mins still cool, drove for like 15 mins still cool, and let it sit for like 10 mins and it was still cool. great product easy install. i only had one problem with the install that was finding the bottom manifold bolt after i dropped it into my splash shield under tha car. other than that, very easy took me about an hour or so start to finish.

myeverlovinsir
12-31-2003, 02:59 PM
Let me know if my Hondata heatsheild install thread helped you out? Congrats!;)

Zero Three Si
12-31-2003, 04:03 PM
What about performance? Notice any gains?

fishboy
12-31-2003, 05:53 PM
i wouldn't say there are any gains. more like less loss of torque due to the IM not heating up. it keeps the intake temps down some.

SiR_d1
12-31-2003, 08:19 PM
CONGRATS on the install

Dunrick
12-31-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by fishboy
i wouldn't say there are any gains. more like less loss of torque due to the IM not heating up. it keeps the intake temps down some.

hondata.com shows gains - so have other people who have dyno tested it....

its a must for the 1/4 people racing bracket races.......

fishboy
12-31-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Dunrick
hondata.com shows gains - so have other people who have dyno tested it....

its a must for the 1/4 people racing bracket races.......

yeah, i still wouldn't call it gains. it is power that the car has already, but just looses when the IM heats up.

MCeez02Si
01-01-2004, 03:56 AM
I also have the Hondata Gasket. Unlike most, after driving for awhile and checking the heat of the IM, the IM is very hot to the touch. Did I do something wrong? Could it be the IM bolts to the block that's heating the IM up. Hmmm, I don't know.

Peking
01-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by MCeez02Si
I also have the Hondata Gasket. Unlike most, after driving for awhile and checking the heat of the IM, the IM is very hot to the touch. Did I do something wrong? Could it be the IM bolts to the block that's heating the IM up. Hmmm, I don't know.

I don't think so, heat is a given. Our engines don't give off to much heat compared to other rides. So after like 20 minutes the fans still don't come on, here anyway. Mybe they come on early in hotter places.

Black 02 SI
01-01-2004, 03:50 PM
yeah, i actually used your thread to do the whole thing, excelent work. the only thing that i had a little trouble with was the two nut thing, i couldn't find a thin enough wrench to only hit one of the nuts, and it kept losening both of them, but i found one eventually. and as far as the manifold still being hot, it does get a little warmer if the engine sits for a few after it has been run, but that's about it.

Dunrick
01-02-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by MCeez02Si

did you torque the thing on there to spec? Its supposed to be something like 18 lb's or something......

dont quote me on that.

MCeez02Si
01-02-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Dunrick
did you torque the thing on there to spec? Its supposed to be something like 18 lb's or something......

dont quote me on that.

Actually I torqued it according to my "hand" spec:eek: I know I did it tight enough, hmmm, maybe a little too tight. Think so? In all honesty, I tend to overtighten rather than under.

Dunrick
01-02-2004, 02:03 PM
This is a very important thing to tighten to spec. I would go get a torque wrench, and do it ASAP. Serious. They have the spec's to a certain lb. for a reason

Check the how-to's I bet the exact torque specs are there. I think it was around 18 lb...BUT DONT do it to 18, cause I'm not sure. I remember it being very little. If you have it too tight it will cause damage, same with too loose.