PDA

View Full Version : SFP Turbo Kit Pics

Most-Wanted
12-31-2003, 06:47 PM
Here are a few pics taken at H.I.N. this month. Lots of nice stuff there.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid96/p36fc38b8c7621e1b7ca015f82b43661b/fa1f6617.jpg

Most-Wanted
12-31-2003, 06:48 PM
Changing everything from blue to red. What do you think???

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid96/p202fcf9d16c46ebaed541b6763c5b22a/fa1f661b.jpg

Most-Wanted
12-31-2003, 06:49 PM
Nothing much here!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid96/pb6446f29a6e7f60df539671d8f57c6d7/fa1f661d.jpg

Most-Wanted
12-31-2003, 06:50 PM
Still think red would look sharper.......
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid96/p1061a0cfc01958a4932e22b3dfbc55e5/fa1f6623.jpg

2fastcivic
12-31-2003, 07:48 PM
nice pics. the sfp turbo kit has the nicest and cleanest setup for the ephatch. and it puts out alot of power and torque to.

TheMutt
01-01-2004, 03:09 PM
*What kinda filter is that?

*Are there any other available color schemes?

*Is it possible to get a downpipe in anything other than the 2.5" that is said to come with the kit (I like the 3" available with CN's).

*When are we going to see some dyno sheets? Or vids? Or better pics?
Personally if someone here is going to invest the money I think it'd be nice to have supplied pics of the parts.

*What is SFP customer service like? Would it be a pain in the ass to have the kit installed at our local shop?

This thread has just been jacked... it is now the SFP general thread that disappeared.

Most-Wanted
01-01-2004, 05:43 PM
The filter is Arospeed and have various colors. I'm actually changing the color to red as we speak.

Downpipes can be made generally any size and I believe there is plenty of space for a 3" downpipe. You need to ask Scott or Frank at SFP for advice on that. But from what I have experienced if it is a tight squeeze it is better to go smaller diameter and have less of an angle on the bends.

Dyno sheets are available now if you want. I am dynoing the car next week and hope to video it. It will be a solid 300hp pass and don't want to miss it.

Everybody I have talked with at SFP has been very nice and helpful. So I would have to say they are great people to work with. As for the kit, no problem for another shop to install. It is straight forward except for the oil return line.

And for the thread, I think a few people feel threatened and are trying to keep SFP down. So it magically disappeared. You can't keep a good thing down. It will emerge eventually. And besides, there is plenty of business for everyone. Competetion is a good thing..........

Hope this helps and feel free to contact me or Scott at SFP for more questions.

Most-Wanted
01-01-2004, 06:00 PM
I am going to try to put a larger pic in here but if it doesn't work I'll get better pics.
file:///C:/Kodak%20Pictures/2003-12-22/Picture_0014.jpg

TheMutt
01-01-2004, 09:59 PM
Yeah maybe if we all look at the SFP kit it will bring the others down a few grand :D

Heh, jk. But get some dynos and 1/4slips if you can. You sound confident about the 300HP, isn't that a little high? How much boost? Do you have anything done other than the kit?

Pikachu
01-01-2004, 10:17 PM
I have riden in the SFP turbo car and it is amazing. Just sitting in it, it runs like a stock car. It produces power almost immediatly when you hit the gas i mean when i went for a ride Most-Wanted took off slow hit it spun all the way through first grannied to second then nailed it and spun all of second. From what i have seen this is an awesome kit runs perfect like a stock car(until you get on it) and for the customer service it is great they answered every question i had and when i go turbo it will definitly be SFP all the way

TheMutt
01-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Sorry to say but the one post wonders just won't cut it. Where's the dynos! Go out and dyno the car right now... cuz I said so!

k20hatch
01-01-2004, 10:29 PM
Wow the cars looking hot!! I cant wait to see it this year at a upcomming show!! Looking nice!!

TheMutt
01-01-2004, 10:29 PM
Oh, and for M-W, do you think the FMIC would fit behind the stock bumper?

02SilverSiHB
01-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Most-Wanted
I am going to try to put a larger pic in here but if it doesn't work I'll get better pics.
file:///C:/Kodak%20Pictures/2003-12-22/Picture_0014.jpg
LOL, you can't link pics from your computer, however you can upload them, depending on the size...but if you want to link big pics...go to www.we-todd-did-racing.com they support this site and others and allow high res pic links.

STP03BlueSI
01-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Wow that kit is extremly CLEAN! i like that.

TheMutt
01-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Not to be a dick, but since the other post was locked and this really didnt belong there to begin with, here's a pic of their turbo manifold.
http://www.vtecturbo2000.com/pics/spfmanifolds/ep3/DSC05571.JPG

SFPracing
01-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Heh lets see how long this thread lasts...

I'll try to answer a few questions.

We can customize the color options for you. Silicone connectors, and filter, etc... can be done in red... the piping can be done in any standard color (silver, black, red, blue, etc...) or done in that same high temp polished finish you see in the manifold pic.

The manifold you see is optionally coated with thermal coat. Standard finish is black. The benefits of thermal coating, besides looking good is it keeps the hot exhaust gas in the exhaust where it belongs... not in the engine bay. Hot exhaust gas flows faster and evacuates easier that cooler gas. Secondly with age this finish may be repolished to shine like new for many years.

Something people don't bare in mind about the SFP kit besides the obvious fit, finish and performance is the good warranty it has. The manifold, downpipe, and intercooler pipes all have a 3 year warranty. Additionally the turbocharger, aquamist, and optional thermal coating has a 1 year warranty. The rest of the parts sourced from different manufacturers have the manufacturers warranty. We've been in business for 9 years now. We're here for the long run. You don't have to worry about us being here today, gone tomorrow like some young businesses.

TheMutt
01-02-2004, 12:45 PM
What about the upgradability of your kits? From the site I can only tell that you have the stage I. Is it meant to be similar to the CN kit where the only necessities are to upgrade pistons/rods and push higher boost?

bioevolve
01-02-2004, 12:47 PM
YUMMMMMMM!
I want one now, I'm moving back to Florida again on Saturday hehehehe.

SFPracing
01-02-2004, 01:36 PM
The kit is fully upgradable. In fact the silver Si in the pic has the stage 3 intercooler upgrade. Stage 1 and 2 normally come with an IC that will fit under the factory bumper. Here is approx. how it works.

Stage 1 you've all seen comes with 50trim T3/T4 250hp kit.

Stage 2 comes with the Precision SC61, larger fuel injectors, and reflashed ecu. This setup is good for 320hp on stock internals. 400+HP if you do internals.

Stage 3 comes with the Precision SC63 turbocharger, large race intercooler (like Most Wanted's) larger fuel injectors, reflashed ecu, Crower Rods, and JE pistons plus other small stuff. This kit is capable of 475-550hp (An SFP sleeved block is necessary for this kit also)

This is just a quick overview of the larger components that make up the kit.

dj addicted
01-02-2004, 01:42 PM
wow.. after reading all of that... I need to go change my drawers... thanks!!:confused: :D :D

TheMutt
01-02-2004, 01:43 PM
Would you recommend against simply upgrading internals and upping the boost higher? Isn't that what the aquamist thingy is supposed to help out with anyways?

dj addicted
01-02-2004, 01:51 PM
a simple question though.. where do you relocate the battery too??

2.0L Monster
01-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by TheMutt
Would you recommend against simply upgrading internals and upping the boost higher? Isn't that what the aquamist thingy is supposed to help out with anyways?

Because it can be very expensive to do. Hmm, turbo with high boost or an extra civic. ;)

Most-Wanted
01-02-2004, 02:35 PM
As for the dyno numbers- I have 30 dyno passes ranging from 220-270 during initial testing and tq over 205. If you want to see them e-mail me. I am doing some tuning this upcoming week and expect to see approximately 320whp. We are going to video it so everyone can see my car and the dyno screen so nobody can say it wasn't that car. I will also post the dyno chart. I am going to the track as soon as it re-opens and will post every single timeslip. I have been told the track is closed for repairs and resurfacing.

The battery was relocated to the trunk. I am running twin optimas.

SFPracing
01-02-2004, 02:53 PM
upgrading the internals and turning up the boost is a fine way to do it. We just happen to believe that if you're, for example, striving for the power that a stage 2 turbo kit can produce then head in that direction. The turbocharger selections in each respective stage are designed that if you choose optimal performance/boost each component in the system will be well matched together. Efficency range of turbochargers at different boost levels and backhousing .A/R's are a whole science that I don't even understand yet. We just don't throw parts together but select a well balanced combination to achieve good power with good spool times, etc...

TheMutt
01-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Will you guys install the kit youselves? What's the cost + install? Time I'd be out a car? Just curious :D

What's a high, but reasonable amount of boost for the kit?

Boosted00Si
01-06-2004, 08:49 PM
Brian (Most-Wanted) is a VERY upstanding and honest guy as well as one of my best friends. His car is amazing! I have been to cybernation and seen their work, and all i can say is that they have nothing on SFP. I can't stress how clean their setup is! The car runs PERFECT!!!! I have ridden in it and even had the opportunity to drive it. Can't wait to see the car with 320whp instead of 260. SFP has the cat in the bag!

Also, if you need someone to host the vids and pics for you brian just let me know!

1fastminivan
01-06-2004, 11:35 PM
as for the ECU reflash.....is the revlimit raised on this???.....Top speed would be raised if the revlimit would be....just wondering if that would be possible to reflash it to raise it so you can top it out even more with the turbo.:D

chubbychu
01-06-2004, 11:48 PM
i might have missed it but how much does all this cost?

02SilverSiHB
01-07-2004, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by 1fastminivan
as for the ECU reflash.....is the revlimit raised on this???.....Top speed would be raised if the revlimit would be....just wondering if that would be possible to reflash it to raise it so you can top it out even more with the turbo.:D
where was it stated that the sfp kit has a ecu reflash :confused:

SFPracing
01-07-2004, 07:00 AM
Let me try to answer all of your questions.

We can do the installation for you. The cost of installation and dyno tuning is $1000. You would only be out of the car for a few days.

The cost of the stage 2 kit with injector upgrades, SFP reflash, and manual boost controller is $5600. That is a 10psi kit that will make approx 300+wHP. The remainder of our stage 1 kit was designed to roll into a stage 2. Therefore if you buy a stage 1 budget wise, you can upgrade later without having to swap parts out of the kit for larger ones.

As for reflash the rev limiter is increased to about 7600rpm , and the speed limiter is eliminated amongst other tweaks.

02SilverSiHB
01-07-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by SFPracing
The cost of the stage 2 kit with injector upgrades, SFP reflash, and manual boost controller is $5600. That is a 10psi kit that will make approx 300+wHP. The remainder of our stage 1 kit was designed to roll into a stage 2. Therefore if you buy a stage 1 budget wise, you can upgrade later without having to swap parts out of the kit for larger ones.

As for reflash the rev limiter is increased to about 7600rpm , and the speed limiter is eliminated amongst other tweaks.
whoa! I didn't know you guys have a reflash for the stock ecu?
Did you guys team up with hondata? or do you have your own software for tapping into the settings of the stock ecu

K-Series
01-07-2004, 07:15 AM
You don't upgrade any internals or change anything in the head when you do a stage 2 and increase the revlimiter?

Steve

SFPracing
01-07-2004, 07:22 AM
As for internals on the bottom end, we've been turbocharging the DC5 and EP3 since 02 respectively and 10psi 300hp is easily attainable on stock internals. This is part of the reason why we do aquamist. It allows an increase of boost pressure very safely. Most people don't know but we were the first shop in the country to sleeve a K20 motor and make 350+wHP on an RSX back in 02. We've done alot of work on these motors and the K series blocks and internals are much beefier than the older B series. As for the head, the stock valve train seems to work well at this level. Hondata has been reflashing the DC5 and EP3 ecu's for some time now and have seen no problems with the factory valve train. However if you don't feel safe, Ferrea makes a beautiful valve train package consisting of springs/retainers, and keepers.

K-Series
01-07-2004, 07:28 AM
As for the head, the stock valve train seems to work well at this level. Hondata has been reflashing the DC5 and EP3 ecu's for some time now and have seen no problems with the factory valve train. However if you don't feel safe, Ferrea makes a beautiful valve train package consisting of springs/retainers, and keepers.

I'm comfortable with the stock internals as well, it's the above that troubles me. With the hp increased and the rpms now increased, wouldn't that bring the VT to an untimely demise?

Steve

SFPracing
01-07-2004, 07:33 AM
We don't feel that will be the problem. We've inspected the valve train in these cars and it's quite good. The weak link is the valves themselves in regards to cylinder temps. The aquamist gives a nice even burn and doesn't let the cylinder temps get out of hand. Of course that's not the magic wand, you do need to tune the car properly as well. The reflash we offer in conjunction with our programmable digital FMU does the trick nicely.

K-Series
01-07-2004, 07:38 AM
How does the aquamist work? Where is the resevoir for it and how often does it need to be filled?

Steve

STP03BlueSI
01-07-2004, 07:49 AM
Damn...thats still a SICK package.

SFPracing
01-07-2004, 08:13 AM
The base aquamist system would use your supplied (or your windshield washer) resevoir. The larger system has approx a 2.5gallon resevoir of it's own. Example on how long the supply will last: If you have a 2 gallon resevoir and drive the car "normally" you will need to refill it every 4-6 gas tank fill ups depending on driving style. Many people on the 2.5gal. resevoir fill it once a month. All you do is mix 50/50 ratio of 91% isopropyl alcohol and distilled water. Keeping a few bottles of pre mix in the hatch is always a good idea in case you're on a long road trip.

The way the aquamist works is it is controlled off of a psi. switch which only comes on under a given amount of boost pressure. For example it may be set at 3-4 psi. The pump then pumps a small amount of mixture into your intake pipe through a nozzle that sprays a fine atomized mist into the intake tract. This mixture does two important thing... it cools the cylinder temperatures/intake charge temps and the alcohol has a much higher octane rating and burns slower and cooler that gas. In essence it's similar to running a high octane race fuel full time at a very cost effective price. Additionally this will not harm the engine or catalytic converter (if u have one what so ever:angel: ) at all.

K-Series
01-07-2004, 08:38 AM
Ok, so this is in no way like methanol?

Steve

SFPracing
01-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Methanol can be used in the system but no that's not what we're using.

SFPracing
01-07-2004, 06:33 PM
The flash upgrade is Hondata based stuff but we do it. So yea I guess you could call it a team up.

TheMutt
01-07-2004, 06:56 PM
$5500 for a stage one without gauges? Will we really need the gauges to tune it? Who tunes it anyways, cause I know I can't...

Do you expect price of the kit to change any in the next few months?

02SilverSiHB
01-07-2004, 06:58 PM
The flash upgrade is Hondata based stuff but we do it. So yea I guess you could call it a team up.
ah okay, I take it you guys just got the software then hook it up and tune away...awsome! Very nice stuff...much better imo than an apexi taking control...piggy backs are my thing, but sometimes that's the way it's gotta be.

surfsi
01-07-2004, 09:42 PM
I'm sory to say that 10psi. and 7600 rpm's is just foolish, if you ask the unlucky ones who did the money shift fm 3rd to 2nd, well lets just say it was just a few hundred rpm's above that that caused detonation to the head and that was NA!!!
To say it should be fine is just plain stupid, and to call this a stage-2 is even funnier.
These motors are under an emense amount of strain under boost and to raise the revs without changing the internals is sorry to say STUPID!
By the way these detonations are fact and they apply to all honda motors, just last week I heard from a honda mechanic that an s2000 had done the same thing.

SFPracing
01-07-2004, 09:43 PM
Mutt we don't include gauges cause so many people want different ones and different colors and such. Yes they're needed for tuning.

As for the Hondata, being that it's a reflash it's a unit spec'ed out for us that we have done. It's accounts for bigger injectors, raised rev limit, eliminated speed limiter and some other things we asked for. the fine tuning is still done with the digital FMU which has vast adjustment abilities when interfaced with a flashed ecu for bigger injectors.

SFPracing
01-07-2004, 09:56 PM
I have a question and this is not to be a d!ck. Surfsi, how many of these motors have you built, turbo'ed, rev'ed, dyno tuned (very important) etc...? We do alot of these and don't have a problem. It sounds to me like a lot of hearsay to me. Hondata is selling this upgrade to tons of people with no "rev" problems as you put it. If you're STUPID enough to do a 3 to 2 shift at high R's you're gonna pop your moter at 6K or 7K+. That doesnt matter. It also doesn't matter if you're boosted or not in that respect. We don't get any detonation at all with our boosted setups cause they are tuned properly. A/F ratios on our dyno graphs are nice and HP curves are smooth and flat. Yes honda's are subject to detonation N/A or boosted, but you seem to forget the precautions we take against it. You're just assuming without knowing facts, that all turbo EP's are going to detonate to death at high revs. That just makes no sense.

Pikachu
01-08-2004, 05:44 AM
surfsi trust me if sfp says that it is finely tuned and that it will not detonate if you shift correctly then trust them it will not every thing is is just so perfect on their turbo kit it seems stock until you hit it no problems, these guys are professionals that do this all the time and i just can't wait until i get my car done up by then i should be going to soon so i will keep you posted on the car and any problems which i doubt will happen Most Wanted's car runs just so perfect i won't even question their judgement if they say it will work it will work

K-Series
01-08-2004, 05:55 AM
We don't get any detonation at all with our boosted setups cause they are tuned properly. A/F ratios on our dyno graphs are nice and HP curves are smooth and flat. Yes honda's are subject to detonation N/A or boosted, but you seem to forget the precautions we take against it.

If fine tuning is done by the digital FMU, what happens with weather shifts? What if I'm in NJ and it drops to 20 degrees, will I have to mess around with the FMU to get the car running properly?

The reason I ask this (and I know the answer) is that most of your future customers are "scared" (for lack of a better word) to tune the car themself. I have to do it and to be honest, I'm not a fan of it either, but you do what you have to. The problem is that you, the tuner take precautions, but me, Joe Schmuck screws it up when trying to tune for colder/hotter weather and then *ping...ping..ping.pingpingpingpingping----Bang!*

The same could happen to me, however I'm not reving to 7600 rpm. I think that's what Surf is trying to say, if not, it's what I'm saying. :)

Steve

SFPracing
01-08-2004, 06:54 AM
The reason I ask this (and I know the answer) is that most of your future customers are "scared" (for lack of a better word) to tune the car themself. I have to do it and to be honest, I'm not a fan of it either, but you do what you have to. The problem is that you, the tuner take precautions, but me, Joe Schmuck screws it up when trying to tune for colder/hotter weather and then *ping...ping..ping.pingpingpingpingping----Bang!*

Remember that the ECU has been reflashed for bigger injectors in stage 2 and stock ecu with stock injectors in stage one. Saying that, let me ask you this... if you have a stock SI in Florida or a stock SI in Alaska will they both run properly at different temps? Yes they will because you still have a functioning air intake temp sensor and barometric pressure sensor and the ecu is calibrated for the size of the associated injectors. The enrichment on the car with the larger injectors and reflash will be like stock under normal load. When boost comes on the DFMU just add's fuel pressure at a rate that we've determined for the kit. With any vehicle you might have slight variances. Running an EGT gauge would be a useful monitoring tool. If we give you a location to tap the thermocouple into the exhaust and a safe egt level area you can have that added amount of information as to where you stand. Worst case is you take the car to a local dyno for a few base pulls with air fuel and we explain to you how to have them fine adjust the DFMU if necessary. If it were my car I'd wanna dyno it regardless to see where I stand.

K-Series
01-08-2004, 07:47 AM
Good answer.

Steve

TheMutt
01-08-2004, 06:32 PM
Ok, so it took me a minute to read what SFP said...
Ummm I take it that's good, that they know what they're doing? Right?

On a side note, I just turned down a steal on a k20a2 for 3k$ shipped over @ clubrsx classifieds. All so I can have a blow off valve in a few months.

Pikachu
01-08-2004, 06:47 PM
trust me themutt if you go with the SFP turbo kit you will be looking like this when you hit boost :D it's the greatest thing ever and the best are doing it my car should be getting done by SFP in about a week and i can't wait. It is just knowing that the best are turboing your car. It's great i will post my time slips as soon as i can run. And i will keep you posted on how the car keeps running. But with the best doing it i don't think that there will be any problems

TheMutt
01-08-2004, 06:52 PM
I'll be as hyped as you when I see dyno runs and 1/4 vids... Until then I can only hope it's half as good as you are always trying to make it sound.

SFPracing
01-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Dyno sheets and dyno movies and pics are avail NOW!. Most-Wanted will be making a thread anytime now. Congrats on the HP. I'll let him let the cat out of the bag.

surfsi
01-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Sfp., I'm not trying to be a dick and I'm not pointing the finger at you but the idea of a reflash itself! My point was the amount of rpm's it takes to detonate?
My fault was in putting my thoughts on your thread and I appoligize for my ignorance.
I'm still learning about the limitations of tese high revving 4bangers and trying to sort out what parts are first on the list to scrap from honda? I know first hand that the stock rods are scrap along with many other weak stock parts, heance the reason I said what I did about internals at high boost!
Once again sorry for the direction of my thoughts.

SFPracing
01-08-2004, 08:45 PM
It's no problem man. I appreciate the reply. I didnt mention if before but maybe this will help you with your thoughts as well. Remember one other thing about our reflash. We modify the timing curve for the boosted application. With less timing in the high R's where detonation may occur you can run that 10psi and aquamist with zero detenation. I think you'll be interested to see Most-Wanted's new HP #'s thread with movies, dyno sheets, and pics which i took for him tonight. The car sounds truly amazing on the dyno. Wait till ya hear how smooth it is. I'll let him post cause I don't wanna steal his thunder.

TheMutt
01-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Waiting anxiously to see the vids :(

surfsi
01-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Sfp., what are your thoughts on te available lsd's for the ep's?
I beleive it's cusco who has the locking device and quaife with the high priced full drop in? I think this is a must if you're doing the 1/4 along with a clutch which I know you allready have.

SFPracing
01-08-2004, 09:36 PM
I don't have specific data on the factory LSD's from the JDM R's but if they're anything like the B series they'll be good for about 300hp max. The quaife's are usually good street/strip diff's where the kaaz and cusco are very aggressive and very good for strip road race but to mean on the street. Basically the quaife would be my choice.

TheMutt
01-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Wow. I think my mind is made up. Now just to work some overtime.

LordKoo
01-16-2004, 09:48 PM
surfsi, you have not seen how high a SR20DET that makes 360whp rev! The rev limit SFPracing said is peanuts.

Good job SFPracing, can't wait to see the dyno sheets!

SFPracing
01-17-2004, 07:20 AM
The dyno sheets are up. Go to the boost section and the thread is titled 300whp something or other ;)