PDA

View Full Version : Progress rear bar?

Type X
01-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Is it worth the $
are there any better ones out there

also if anyone can recommend a front strut tower bar

do they make a mugen for our ep yet?

i want a tight daily driver with MAYBE auto x for 2004 :)

currently i am running Tein basics
and braking i am going with brembo cross.slooted
with axis ultimate pads

thanks in advance
- Mike

Zero Three Si
01-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Do a search...:D

02SilverSiHB
01-01-2004, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't worry about the front sway since you are going to want the ass end to come around a little easier. The rear sway is the most important, imo.

Progress is good, it's a 22mm with the tie bar combo. I personlly love my comptech sway/tie bar combo, but for cheaper, the progress is about the same.
Either that or the neuspeed sway/tie bar (which I have yet to see anyone get)
All those I mentioned are 22mm.

Or if you'd rather just get the sway and not worry about the tie bar thing, you can get a CTR sway which is 22mm also.

chet
01-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Type X
Is it worth the $

with axis ultimate pads

thanks in advance
- Mike

I've had the Progress rear lower tie bar for over a year now and I love it. I actually purchased the front sway bar with it. Its a lot heavier than most of the other ones available, but it did a great job in correcting the oversteer. I can't compare it to another manufacturer, but I would say that for the $$--its definitely worth it. I hear a lot of guys getting the CTR or RSX-S rear lower tie bar. I think AdamquickCivic just did some RSX-S swaps (5-lug, wheels, rear lower tie bar). He was highly impressed with the improvement.

I think Progress makes some high quality merchandise. . .As far as the front upper--I went with the Neuspeed. BTW, my setup is awesome for auto-x ( along with the KW V2's).

Type X
01-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Zero Three Si
Do a search...:D

Thanks for yet another worthless post from you

from the other guys
thanks for the input

glw
01-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Is it worth the $

with axis ultimate pads

thanks in advance
- Mike i have the progress sways (front and rear) as well as neuspeed tower bars (front and rear). the ep didn't feel right, though until i put -2 degrees camber up front. now it feels great! great turn int, very little push and i can bring the rear around when needed. great balance, imho.

i also have brembo slotted, cryo'd, cad plated rotors (front), axxis ultimates pads (front and rear), ate super blue fluid, and goodridge lines. i know the tires are a big part of braking, but the other changes i made helped a lot. stopping during autox is no longer an issue. just stab the brakes and man it stops!

Quicksilver
01-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Is it worth the $

For the price, the Progress rear sway is a good bang for the buck and make a noticible difference in how the car handles. I'd agree with the above comments as well. The only other rear sway that seems to provide more function is the Comptech adjustable sway. That's about $600 retail though. Look around and you can find it closer to $500.

If you looking at firming up the front suspension, you might want to go with an x-brace over a STB. For both parts, I'd recommend Neuspeed. Competech's titanium STB also looks good, but I don't know that it will provide any better performance. The Neuspeed only weighs about 3.5lbs anyway, so the titanium STB is only going to save you about 1-2 lbs. Not worth it IMO for the added cost.

SiR_d1
01-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Why don't you get the JDM 22mm Sway bar to go with your whole JDM conversion.

I have this sway bar and I love it. I think the Progress sway has some clearance issues with certain exhausts, but not 100% sure just going on what I've read

Zero Three Si
01-01-2004, 05:39 PM
Thanks for yet another worthless post from you

your welcome
:D

glw
01-01-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Quicksilver
For the price, the Progress rear sway is a good bang for the buck and make a noticible difference in how the car handles. I'd agree with the above comments as well. The only other rear sway that seems to provide more function is the Comptech adjustable sway. That's about $600 retail though. Look around and you can find it closer to $500.

If you looking at firming up the front suspension, you might want to go with an x-brace over a STB. For both parts, I'd recommend Neuspeed. Competech's titanium STB also looks good, but I don't know that it will provide any better performance. The Neuspeed only weighs about 3.5lbs anyway, so the titanium STB is only going to save you about 1-2 lbs. Not worth it IMO for the added cost. x-brace not allowed in sts class autox...

Quicksilver
01-01-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by glw
x-brace not allowed in sts class autox...

Are Tein Basics allowed in STS? I was under the impression that only konis/springs were allowed in STS. Then again, autocross is not my area of expertise. I run open track in non-competitive formats.

HondaMan
01-01-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Quicksilver
Are Tein Basics allowed in STS? I was under the impression that only konis/springs were allowed in STS. Then again, autocross is not my area of expertise. I run open track in non-competitive formats.

Tein Basics are legal in STS...I ran them 3 times this past season in STS.

Mike, I'm installing my Progress rear sway kit this weekend and can give you more input afterwards. I have driven mikekelley's EP after we installed the Progress rear sway kit and it really tightens up the rear end and feels great. There is a small clearance issue with the stock muffler since it so huge, but will not be a problem for me with my newly installed MagnaFlow and I imagine any other aftermarket axle back will provide more clearance over the stock muffler. Also, like Mike said I wouldn't bother with the front Progress sway, especially for AutoX applications. Lastly, getting the CTR rear sway would be nice and JDM like for your ride.

Type X
01-01-2004, 07:07 PM
yea i hear ya

i was a little worried now that i have the
HKS midsection with custom es muffler exhaust

dunno how any clearance would be

but i will wait on your feedback

thanks all and aim me when your done JP:cool:

trk
01-01-2004, 07:09 PM
I'd agree with most of whats posted here... the progress rear sway is great. The neuspeed upper front strut tower bar is also excellent, the non adjustability of it really makes it stiff.

On the track I have no more understeer, and the ass comes out at will.

HondaMan
01-01-2004, 07:39 PM
yea i hear ya

i was a little worried now that i have the
HKS midsection with custom es muffler exhaust

but i will wait on your feedback

thanks all and aim me when your done JP:cool:

Will do! :)

Civicvtec1ps
01-01-2004, 09:15 PM
You are jdm whore.
Get 25mm mugen rear sway bar.

icegrill
01-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Get whatever costs the most. ;) I ordered the H&R 20mm, which seems like a happy medium for size.

02SilverSiHB
01-02-2004, 12:11 AM

if you are worried about that...fork out the dough for the comptech ;) it's modified to keep that from happening.

EnJaNir
01-02-2004, 12:30 AM
I have the HKS hi power and it hits the progress rear bar sometimes, nothing a little trip to an exhaust shop won't fix but I've been living with it

Dunrick
01-02-2004, 08:45 AM
if your going to autox get the progress rear sway

the rsx-s is a daily driver sway bar

USMCSI PT.2
01-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Yeah my HKS HiPower taps the sway after the car has been idling for a little while and also around high speed left corners, it is a great investment though, totally makes the car more predictable.

EP3ME
01-02-2004, 12:10 PM
OK, I'm in a good mood today so I'm gonna help you out 'omes!!! What you need is the Mugen anti-roll bar in the back from King Motorsports. It is 25mm and blows away any other bullshit on the street and, yes, they make one for our car.

If you are looking for a good tower strut brace then check out Comptech USA. They make a titanium bar that fits perfectly.:cool:

EP3ME
01-02-2004, 12:12 PM
:D

2k2_nbp_egg
01-02-2004, 12:47 PM
The rear one really gives the car more stability and more oversteer, but Ive also had the front one for about 3/4 of a year now...and that gave me a little more understeer than id like to have...but the pay off is that my car is more stable at higher speeds, or while slaloming. More stability, but also more under. As for the rear progress sway, for the price it really cant be beat.

Mugen Power
01-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by EP3ME
OK, I'm in a good mood today so I'm gonna help you out 'omes!!! What you need is the Mugen anti-roll bar in the back from King Motorsports. It is 25mm and blows away any other bullshit on the street and, yes, they make one for our car.

If you are looking for a good tower strut brace then check out Comptech USA. They make a titanium bar that fits perfectly.:cool:

King doesn't list it for the EP yet...

02SilverSiHB
01-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by 2k2_nbp_egg
The rear one really gives the car more stability and more oversteer, but Ive also had the front one for about 3/4 of a year now...and that gave me a little more understeer than id like to have...but the pay off is that my car is more stable at higher speeds, or while slaloming. More stability, but also more under. As for the rear progress sway, for the price it really cant be beat.
just get that negative camber bolt up front..that's what I had on mine also, might help you out for the understeer.

Tiger_Si
01-02-2004, 11:46 PM
Is it worth the $

with axis ultimate pads

thanks in advance
- Mike
dont get the big sway bars without reinforcing the subframe.
A huge problem with bigger sway bars on Civics is the subframes tearing out. There seems to be a 100% rate of tear outs which can lead to costly repairs/welding.

these pics are not from EP's but they are good examples...

see here, you can see the difference in sway bars. see the bracket with the red bushing that is attack to the frame, OK, thats the frame that can get fucked with that big of a sway bar....
http://home.earthlink.net/~epyon13/srk/pic01.jpg

if you dont want to reinforce the frame with aftermarket kits, get the comptech swaybar with the tie bar combo, one of the best things made. period

this is the comptech bar + tie combo. see how the tie bar relieves a lot of the stress....

http://home.comcast.net/~caddisj/vortech6.jpg

another one..
http://www.lakeeffectperformance.com/USTCC3/comptech.jpg

02SilverSiHB
01-02-2004, 11:49 PM
another reason I love my comptech sway/tie bar combo...the progress and neuspeed offer it as well.
And I have seen plenty of pics from the earlier si's with 22mm sway breaking the subframe.

Dunrick
01-03-2004, 12:00 AM
never heard of an ep3 subframe breaking though....

I'm not saying dont get the tie bar + sway bar....But I wouldn't really worry either

seeing as the ctr comes w/ the 22mm sway bar

02SilverSiHB
01-03-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Dunrick
never heard of an ep3 subframe breaking though....

I'm not saying dont get the tie bar + sway bar....But I wouldn't really worry either

seeing as the ctr comes w/ the 22mm sway bar
true

EP3ME
01-03-2004, 05:52 AM
...that doesn't mean they don't have it: it's been sitting on my car for months!!!:cool:

eurosteez
01-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Mugen Power
King doesn't list it for the EP yet...
listed under RSX

Mugen Power
01-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by EP3ME
...that doesn't mean they don't have it: it's been sitting on my car for months!!!:cool:

I didn't say that there isn't a Mugen one for the EP, just that King doesn't list it under EP like you lead me to believe. Anyway, thanks to eurosteez for pointing out where it is.

EP3ME
01-05-2004, 06:18 PM
I didn't say that there isn't a Mugen one for the EP, just that King doesn't list it under EP like you lead me to believe.

Where did I ever say that King lists it under 'EP'? All I said was that Mugen makes one for our cars and that King sells them.:yellm:

Mugen Power
01-05-2004, 07:48 PM
I said that it wasn't listed under the EP at King's site and being that this is a discussion on rear bars for EPs, I only thought it would make sense to look under the Civic section at the King site. There, happy? It's my fault, no need to blow a gasket over this. :rolleyes:

Zero Three Si
01-05-2004, 08:11 PM
I'll take one RSX type s sway bar please...

chunky
01-05-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Tiger_Si
dont get the big sway bars without reinforcing the subframe.
A huge problem with bigger sway bars on Civics is the subframes tearing out. There seems to be a 100% rate of tear outs which can lead to costly repairs/welding.

these pics are not from EP's but they are good examples...

see here, you can see the difference in sway bars. see the bracket with the red bushing that is attack to the frame, OK, thats the frame that can get fucked with that big of a sway bar....
http://home.earthlink.net/~epyon13/srk/pic01.jpg

if you dont want to reinforce the frame with aftermarket kits, get the comptech swaybar with the tie bar combo, one of the best things made. period

this is the comptech bar + tie combo. see how the tie bar relieves a lot of the stress....

http://home.comcast.net/~caddisj/vortech6.jpg

another one..
http://www.lakeeffectperformance.com/USTCC3/comptech.jpg

Actually, one of the biggest reasons why the older gen civics had major issues with subframe damage when using larger rear sways was b/c the bars were installed on stock springs. With stock springs, the sway bar was doing a lot more work than if aftermarket springs were installed.

the ep3 doesn't need subframe reinforcements for a larger rear sway. espcially since honda put the 22mm rear sway on the CTR STOCK, which has an identical subframe.

SiR_d1
01-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by chunky

the ep3 doesn't need subframe reinforcements for a larger rear sway. espcially since honda put the 22mm rear sway on the CTR STOCK, which has an identical subframe.

this is exactly why I sold my DC Tie bar, its too much bling for me

Deluxe
07-01-2004, 03:49 PM
Actually, one of the biggest reasons why the older gen civics had major issues with subframe damage when using larger rear sways was b/c the bars were installed on stock springs. With stock springs, the sway bar was doing a lot more work than if aftermarket springs were installed.

I use to have a 97 Civic hatch running Zeal B6 coilovers and 800lb springs in the rear..The st swaybar still tore my rear subframe..

Deluxe
07-01-2004, 03:51 PM
I was all set on getting the progress setup until I saw the geometry of the endlinks...I think I would rather save my money for the Comptech

02SilverSiHB
07-01-2004, 07:00 PM
I was all set on getting the progress setup until I saw the geometry of the endlinks...I think I would rather save my money for the Comptech
I love mine :D my comptech that is

Lestat537
07-09-2004, 05:52 PM

I got the Progress setup with Grey's endlinks.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/memberrides/data/500/322endlinks.jpg

blackdc5
07-10-2004, 03:46 AM

Not everyone breaks the endlinks w/ the Progress 22mm Rear sway. Yes, the geometry is not optimal, and indeed does put more stress on the endlinks (the more they are angled). However, from what I've seen on the DC5 (same bar between the DC5/EP3), there are equally as many people that have not broken their endlinks.

Installation is the key. I've recently watched a friend reinstall his 19mm rear sway w/ no regard to the endlink angle (I had to tell him to move the sway to the side). If you don't pay attention to the angles when you install it (and at the very least, equally distribute the endlink angles) you should not have any problems. Also, it's important to put those two 7/8" clamps that hold the sway bar in place. A friend took those 7/8" clamps off of his Progress sway (after 1 year of having no problems w/ the endlinks) and only then did the endlink break.

I've had the Progress installed on my car as well, and I made sure the endlinks minimally angled as possible. My endlinks are fine, though it wasn't on the car for long because it is too close to my Comptech exhaust. I had insulation on the sway and it melted it off, so I had to take off the sway.