PDA

View Full Version : basic Q&A on a DIY greddy turbo

n8dawgsmu
01-01-2004, 06:09 PM
i just ordered a greddy turbo, it should be here late next week. i got it for what i consider to be a really good price(2250.00) to my door. anyway my questions are these. i just want basic non intercooled turbo setup.

1)do i need to add gauges if i do not plan on upgrading to an intercooler for a while? i would think i don't need a boost gauge or A/F gauge if i am not using a boost controller.

2)do i need to change the plugs?

3)do i need a BOV?

4)do i need to get it tuned after i install it?

if you can't tell im on a budget i just got my school bill back that sux man. i plan on installing this next friday so, anything i need to worry about on the install? i don't know cars that well, i install custom stereo stuff, and i can do anything to a 2 stroke but ill ive done to my car is my intake header exhaust.

bgsteve523
01-01-2004, 07:02 PM
where did you get it for that price

n8dawgsmu
01-01-2004, 07:24 PM
it is not the persons normal advertised price, but i was going to ask him if he would consider giving that price to ep hatch people, if he agrees ill give you his info, give me a day or two.

can someone please get back to me on those Q&A i need to get parts if i have to for friday.

ep_nezay
01-01-2004, 09:55 PM
1)Yes, get a boost gauge, very important. You always want to make sure you are NOT overboosting.
A/F gauge you dont need, its not accurate anyways.

2)Yes, get some colder plugs(7s).

3)I recommend it, but its not a have to have item, your car will run fine with out it. It will shorten the lifespan of your turbo though.

4)No, you just need to send it to Kenji for the new emanage program.

Also, I know you are in a budget but I would save up some money for an installer on the wiring. Unless you have prior experience with wiring diagrams on the EPs.
Im sure you would rather spend $100-200 than to have to replace your motor.

bgsteve523
01-02-2004, 05:48 PM
OK let me ask a quick question. I am getting a greddy turbo I have finally made up my mind I am just waiting to find the best deal before I buy so if anyone is offering a really good deal let me know I have been looking. Now when my kit comes in right off the bat do I need to send the e-mannage to Kenji? Who is he and how do I get in contact with him, and what does he do to it and why is it needed????
Thanks,
Steve O

super_si_45
01-02-2004, 10:31 PM
i agree with what my man ep_nezay told u guys, except for 1 thing, imo bro, u defiantly need a bov, i will sell u my type-s in the future if u would like, actually lookin back he did say it will shorten turbo life which is what i was gonna say, my bad, i have no idea who kenji is, every single time i call greddy and i mean every single, must have been 20-30 times (since i got the turbo 5 months ago) he is either out to lunch, busy, or in the office so i am just like u guys, i dunno know who he is, plus greddy tries to screw me and wont take my e manage back because they said i need to send it back to my vendor who will then send it to them i.e. my car is downed for 4, 5 days maybe even a week, f that, ep_nezay, any help bro? oh! btw, my e manage is flashing red (it has been, still no probs though) 1 long red, pause for a while then red, red, red, red, im guessing code 14? help me out bro! damn this post is long, im tanked, so im shuttin the f up right now ;)

beansbear
01-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Supersi
im surprised it took you this long to actually say something about your emanage!
code 14 that your emanage is exhibiting is normal. My upgraded emanage does the same thing. I dunno how to get in touch with Kenji except to call and ask for him. I have emailed him several times but never got a response.. if I call i am sometimes lucky and catch him.

I think BOV is a necessity for sure as well as a boost gauge.

BlackSi613nin
01-03-2004, 12:15 AM
im very close to getting a greddy kit, can annyone scan the install instructions, i wanna see them to see how involved or difficult this would be, if anyone can do that, i would be very happy, thanks

joHn

n8dawgsmu
01-03-2004, 12:42 AM
Yes please atleast post the e-manage installation instructions.

ep_nezay
01-03-2004, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by super_si_45
oh! btw, my e manage is flashing red (it has been, still no probs though) 1 long red, pause for a while then red, red, red, red, im guessing code 14? help me out bro! ;)

Sounds like you havent been keeping up with the 101 greddy thread that I made :P
I posted what it was on the other thread. To make it short, your are fine.
Ill be seeing Kenji sometime next week, have final testing(I hope) for a product for us Greddy kit ouwners coming out soon that youll love:)
Ill let him know about you, PM me a number where he can reach you athttp://www.ephatch.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

ep_nezay
01-03-2004, 02:28 AM
Ill scan the instructions and post them tomorrow.
Ill get them out of the box from the garage.

ep_nezay
01-03-2004, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by bgsteve523
Now when my kit comes in right off the bat do I need to send the e-mannage to Kenji? Who is he and how do I get in contact with him, and what does he do to it and why is it needed????
Thanks,
Steve O

Yes, you will need to send it in, unless you got a kit with the emanage already programmed.
Kenji is the Greddy tech. Once you get a kit Ill tell you how to contact him.
He just gives you a program on your emanage thats tuned, which will eliminate your cell from being too rich.

BlackSi613nin
01-03-2004, 03:30 AM
dont want to hijack the thread,but i have a quick question...
do you need to have an intercooler inorder to have a BOV??? i read somwhere that the bov is welded onto the I/C pipping, but, say i get the greddy kit, which has no i/c, can i still sport a bov?
thanks

joHn

bgsteve523
01-03-2004, 06:20 AM
ep_nezay
Thanks for the info. When I send in the E-mannage how long does it take to get back?
Thanks again,
Steve O

beansbear
01-03-2004, 10:05 AM
you can have the bov without the intercooler but it will save you money to just do it all at once. you will have to weld the BOV and another flange TWICE if you get the intercooler after... that is what ep_nezay and I had to do. what a waste of 60 bucks.

bgsteve523
01-03-2004, 10:27 AM
so let me get this straight you have to get the BOV and the flange? If so the BOV has to be welded on the kit? anything else need to be welded? So basicly you can't install this kit yourself!
Thanks,
Steve O

beansbear
01-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by bgsteve523
so let me get this straight you have to get the BOV and the flange? If so the BOV has to be welded on the kit? anything else need to be welded? So basicly you can't install this kit yourself!
Thanks,
Steve O

*sigh*
The kit doesn't NEED a BOV. But you will WANT a BOV.

The kit doesn't COME with a BOV. So YES you can install this kit with no welding whatsoever.

ANYTIME you add a BOV to a turbo kit you will need to weld the flange to wherever you want to install it. Unless the kit you are buying comes with a preinstalled flange you will have to weld.

Greddy may later come out with IC piping with the BOV flange installed but i wouldnt hold your breath.

super_si_45
01-03-2004, 10:41 AM
ok, its damn early so if someone already covered this, my bad: the bov mounts to an aluminum flange (included in a greddy type s bov kit) which is welded to the charge pipe running from the throttle body to the turbo (as close to the throttle body as possible, see mine or ep_nezay's kit to get an idea) if u get an ic the cgarge pipe from tb to turbo will be eliminated and a new pipe from the ic to tb will be included, hence, new hole burned and new flange is needed to mount bov

hey ep_nezay, greddy released their fmic!!! will it elminate my rich probs, i.e., check engine light, etc.? i heard it would since i would be removing the restrictor? help me out bro

sorry guys, i tossed my instructions, boxes, etc., a while back when i installed my kit, but keep in touch with ep_nezay, he knows his shit and will help u guys out the best he can

oh!! im selling my greddy type s bov if anyone is interested (im switching to hks, just for looks purposes only, they are both equal in performance, i just think hks looks better) pm me if interested, i will also include box and aluminum flange, it is in perfect working condition

ep_nezay
01-03-2004, 12:07 PM

hey ep_nezay, greddy released their fmic!!! will it elminate my rich probs, i.e., check engine light, etc.? i heard it would since i would be removing the restrictor? help me out bro

In order to get rid of your cell, you need to send in your emanage to Kenji "AFTER" you installed your IC. Why you ask? There is a program that was taken from my car tuned with an IC, available to everyone.
Having an IC with the new program will be a big difference.

02SilverSiHB
01-05-2004, 06:04 PM
okay, I got a question :D I see that greddy makes this kit to be an easy install...meaning that there is no drilling for the oil lines? Just a striaght bolt on?

If so, one line bolts onto a banjo that goes to the oil pressure sending unit, and then the original sensor goes onto the other part of the banjo bolt...that line leads the oil to the turbo...but where does the return oil line feed back into the pan?

beansbear
01-05-2004, 06:46 PM
i guess you will just have to wait to see the manual or get the actual kit
:D

02SilverSiHB
01-05-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by beansbear
i guess you will just have to wait to see the manual or get the actual kit
:D
so I take it none of you know :( it was one of my deciding factors on a turbo

beansbear
01-05-2004, 07:50 PM
i dont understand what the big deal about it is...
if you go any other turbo you will need to weld.

02SilverSiHB
01-06-2004, 06:36 AM
i dont understand what the big deal about it is...
if you go any other turbo you will need to weld.
I just found out through another greddy owner on clubrsx that you don't have to weld with the greddy kit...I guess you didn't do the install on yours...that was the big deal...the greddy kit is an easier less permanent kit, I know that other kits require welding of the oil pan, but not with greddy, the deciding factor for me on what kit...so it's greddy for me!

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2064944#post2064944

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2065236#post2065236:D

beansbear
01-06-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
I just found out through another greddy owner on clubrsx that you don't have to weld with the greddy kit...I guess you didn't do the install on yours...that was the big deal...the greddy kit is an easier less permanent kit, I know that other kits require welding of the oil pan, but not with greddy, the deciding factor for me on what kit...so it's greddy for me!

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2064944#post2064944

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2065236#post2065236:D
What are you talking about?
I KNOW you dont have to weld anything with the Greddy kit. In fact I told you that from the beginning!

02SilverSiHB
01-06-2004, 01:10 PM
What are you talking about?
I KNOW you dont have to weld anything with the Greddy kit. In fact I told you that from the beginning!
sorry, but your reply to me made it seem like you said that all kits (including the greddy) needed welding...see above where I replied/quoted you. I guess I read into your reply too much.

The question I asked you, you didn't have a direct answer on how the oil return line was...as if you didn't know if it was welded on or not...you said I would have to get instructions are buy it myself to find out...that's how I came up with what I am talking about...you never actually said that you didn't have to weld it...that I know of, if you posted it somewhere else, sorry, but I didn't see it....and don't worry, I'm not going off on you or anything, it's no big deal. I just wanted to know for sure, and how it was done...the reason I wanted to know how, was for others that didn't understand (i.e. esmith...we were discussing it on kseries)

beansbear
01-06-2004, 01:26 PM
just to clarify it
i will say it again
there is NO WELDING needed for the GREDDY TURBO KIT.

****IF YOU WANT A BOV****
you will HAVE TO WELD THAT.

THE KIT DOES NOT ***DOES NOT*** COME WITH A BOV.

That said there is no welding needed AT ALL on the Kit as it comes from the factory.

The Banjo adapter makes use of the stock oil drain to circulate the oil to the turbo.

The only thing you will need are:
-soldering know how
-how to cut some metal with a file or a dremel tool
-lots of time and patience.

02SilverSiHB
01-06-2004, 03:46 PM
just to clarify it
i will say it again
there is NO WELDING needed for the GREDDY TURBO KIT.

****IF YOU WANT A BOV****
you will HAVE TO WELD THAT.

THE KIT DOES NOT ***DOES NOT*** COME WITH A BOV.

That said there is no welding needed AT ALL on the Kit as it comes from the factory.

The Banjo adapter makes use of the stock oil drain to circulate the oil to the turbo.

The only thing you will need are:
-soldering know how
-how to cut some metal with a file or a dremel tool
-lots of time and patience.
yeah, I knew about the BOV from another post, I guess you thought I was asking about that, anyway, I got it

super_si_45
01-06-2004, 08:04 PM
good luck with the kit bro! ;)

n8dawgsmu
01-06-2004, 11:48 PM
ok i know this is stupid, but does the greddy emanage instructions come with instructions that list which wires connect to which, i mean like which color wire to which color wire. or is it more like connect the red wire to the ivtec blah blah wire.? basically i am asking if i need a wiring schematic for the damn thing.

super_si_45
01-07-2004, 11:10 AM
yea man, when u get the kit, it will come with a pretty good sized packet, booklet if u will, and on one of the last pages its got the whole e manage wiring diagram color coded, so if uv got experience it should be no prob

danoonez
01-11-2004, 01:44 PM
yea man, when u get the kit, it will come with a pretty good sized packet, booklet if u will, and on one of the last pages its got the whole e manage wiring diagram color coded, so if uv got experience it should be no prob

Did you install yours on your own or take it to a shop? If a shop, well what shop was it?

super_si_45
01-11-2004, 06:30 PM
my brother and i installed everything at his shop

danoonez
01-11-2004, 07:10 PM
You two aren't moving any time soon are you...

super_si_45
01-11-2004, 08:34 PM
he's relocating his shop right now (garland to dallas maybe) but nah, we arent go nowhere far;) gimme a holler when ur ready to rock and roll

danoonez
01-11-2004, 08:37 PM
Cool. It'll be a few months (I don't have a job while I'm in school) but I know where to find you when I'm ready.